Live TV Captioning: Human or Machine Transcription?

• Thread starter Gear300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machines
In summary, the machines used to generate captions for TV programs are not always very accurate and can lead to costly mistakes.
Gear300
Are they really caption machines, or really well-trained stenographers? Like in an NFL or FIFA or other live broadcast. I took it that they might have been caption machines with highly advanced grammar compilers, but looking around, I guess they can just as well be very fast typists/keyboard-players.

When somebody asked two years ago which language would dominate the future (because English seems to hold most of the Internet), I thought that ironically NLP and fast-translating machines would preserve pluralism in language, mostly because in a hundred or so years, we would have fast-translating or quick-witted grammar compilers.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Gear300 said:
Are they really caption machines, or really well-trained stenographers? Like in an NFL or FIFA or other live broadcast.
I think machines.

One thing I have noticed.
  1. For news programs, the captions lag behind the spoken words.
  2. For studio programs, the spoken words lag behind the captions.
I use captions on TV almost 100% of the time. But I learned to never use captions when watching Jeopardy because the captions reveal the answer before either I or the contestant have time to answer.

I just got a new Google Pixel 6A phone. It has the feature of showing captions for live phone calls or podcasts. It works for downloaded podcasts even when in airplane mode. Obviously, the captions must be generated locally in the phone's machine. I suspect that I may be able to select the language of the phone's caption machine independent of the language of the speech.

• Informative
Likes berkeman, jedishrfu and FactChecker
Zoom does this today in real time. Not very well for scientific talks ("Is Jay-Sigh a rapper?"), unfortunately.

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
It depends. Machines are used in some cases, but TV programs with a decent budget still use humans to transcribe, computers still make to many mistakes and that could cause real problems if what is being transcribed is say a news program or a political speech.
As far as I understand the keyboards used are versions of stenotype keyboards.

Note also that this is not as "exotic" as it might seem, there are lots of cases where transcriptions have to happen live; the most obvious case being in a courtroom, where what is said obviously have to be recorded accurately. There are also services that do live transcriptions of e.g. lectures for people with hearing impairments; a colleague of mine uses one of these services when listening to talks at conferences, the built in transcribe feature in e.g. Teams doesn't work quite well enough.

I don't see why the stenographer would be to "highly trained" just because it is live TV? Sure, mistakes might have more impact on TV, but even if it is just a "local" transcription it still needs to be correct.
I friend of mine used to work for a company that transcribes (live) conference calls between business that are e.g. negotiating contracts; needless to say mistakes can be costly.

1. How do caption machines for live TV work?

Caption machines for live TV use speech recognition technology to convert spoken words into written text, which is then displayed on the screen in real time.

2. What is the accuracy rate of caption machines for live TV?

The accuracy rate of caption machines for live TV can vary, but it is typically around 95%. However, this can be affected by factors such as background noise, accents, and rapid speech.

3. Can caption machines for live TV be used for all languages?

Currently, most caption machines for live TV are designed to work with the dominant language of the region or country. However, there are ongoing efforts to develop captioning systems for other languages.

4. How are caption machines for live TV beneficial for viewers?

Caption machines for live TV provide accessibility for viewers who are deaf or hard of hearing, as well as for those who may have difficulty understanding spoken words due to language barriers or audio quality. They also allow for better comprehension and retention of information for all viewers.

5. Are there any regulations or standards for caption machines in live TV?

Yes, there are regulations and standards set by organizations such as the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in the United States. These regulations ensure that caption machines are accurate, timely, and complete for the benefit of viewers.