Car accelerates then brakes. What is its displacement?

In summary, the car is going 4.47 m/s at the end of the braking period and has gone ? m from its start.
shizupple

Homework Statement

A car starts from rest and travels for 5.5 s with a uniform acceleration of +1.4 m/s2. The driver then applies the brakes, causing a uniform acceleration of -1.9 m/s2. The breaks are applied for 1.70 s.
(a) How fast is the car going at the end of the braking period?
4.47 m/s (I got this part)
(b) How far has the car gone from its start?
? m

Homework Equations

1) V=Vi + at
2) x=Vit + 1/2at^2
3) V^2=Vi^2 + 2ax
4) a=V/t
5) v=x/t

The Attempt at a Solution

Vf^2=Vi^2+2a(x)
4.47^2=7.7^2+2(1.4)(x)
-14.04=X

I know this obviously can't be the answer. I'm just confused as to how to do this because there is two different accelerations. Do i find the avg acceleration by adding them up and dividing by two or do i find the displacement before braking then subtract the displacement after braking? I'm not sure which formula to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use equation 2 two times, and then adding the two results (for b)

Welcome to PF!

Hi shizupple! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
shizupple said:
(b) …
I'm just confused as to how to do this because there is two different accelerations. Do i find the avg acceleration by adding them up and dividing by two or do i find the displacement before braking then subtract the displacement after braking? I'm not sure which formula to use?

These constant acceleration equations only work for one acceleration at a time.

So use the first acceleration, to find a distance x1.

Then use the second acceleration, to find a distance x2.

The total distance will be x1 + x2. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi shizupple! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)These constant acceleration equations only work for one acceleration at a time.

So use the first acceleration, to find a distance x1.

Then use the second acceleration, to find a distance x2.

The total distance will be x1 + x2. :smile:

I actually tried this too. I did:
.5(1.4)(5.5)^2=21.175
.5(-1.9)(1.7)^2=-2.7455

I added them together without the - sign to get 23.9205... wasnt correct. So i tried subtracting the -2.7455 to get 18.4295 (which is not even logical) and wasnt correct. :confused:

Last edited:
The first part (t = 5,5 s) d = 0,5 a t^2, yields 21,175 as you stated.

But in the second you have a velocity Vi, you have forgotten to factor that into the equation

Hmm I'm kind of confused on this. Yes there is initial velocity but you don't know how long there is initial velocity. It just says the car accelerated then broke. Which to me means it instantly broke so when you do the first part of the equation you would be multiplying (7.7)(0) which would be zero? I don't see how you would figure in the initial velicity of before it was started braking?

shizupple said:
Hmm I'm kind of confused on this. Yes there is initial velocity but you don't know how long there is initial velocity. It just says the car accelerated then broke. Which to me means it instantly broke so when you do the first part of the equation you would be multiplying (7.7)(0) which would be zero? I don't see how you would figure in the initial velicity of before it was started braking?

t is the same in the different equation, 1,70 s. d denotes distance from the point of origin, and at the point of origin Vi = 7,7 so it's important that you factor it in.

Try to put Vi = 7,7 and t = 1,70 s along with a = - 1,9 m/s^2 into d = Vi t + 0,5at^2.

The variable t is the same for both Vi t and 0,5at^2, otherwise t would have to be separated from each other using indexes (like t1 and t2)

Also, you can see it like this: If the engine broke, the wheels would still be spinning for a while until the friction has stopped the vehicle. Just because the engine breaks, the car doesn't instantly stop.

I hope I'm not too confusing ;)

Thats a good explanation. I didnt know you had to figure in the time to the initial velocity like that. Thanks for your help Anden! I got the answer (31.5195) on my last guess!

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position.

2. How is displacement different from distance?

Distance is the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is the shortest distance between an object's initial and final position.

3. How does acceleration affect displacement?

If an object undergoes uniform acceleration, its displacement can be calculated using the formula: displacement = initial velocity x time + 1/2 x acceleration x time^2.

4. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative if an object moves in a direction opposite to its initial position.

5. How does braking affect displacement?

When a car brakes, its acceleration changes from a positive value to a negative value. This results in a decrease in its displacement.