Car Crash Physics Project: Whiplash & Brain Injury Risk

In summary: Then plug those values into the equation for acceleration to get an estimate for the acceleration of the minivan after it gets hit.In summary, the acceleration of the van after it gets hit is reasonably estimated to be around 30-60 g's.
haveyouseenlyss
Okay so I have to do a project that examines whiplash and brain injury in physics. My scenario is a minivan full of 7 people of various masses. This van is at rest and gets struck from behind by a truck going 75 mph. What is a reasonable acceleration for the van after it gets struck? I'm trying to find the force applied on the car, so I can calculate the amount of g's each person is feeling and determine how susceptible they are to concussions (10-50 g's).

Also if anyone knows how I could incorporate angular kinematics, that'd be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with momentum and impulse?

AlephNumbers said:
Are you familiar with momentum and impulse?
Yes, I used momentum and impulse in my draft and was told to redo my project because it wasn't focused enough on the physics behind whiplash :(

Okay. Think about the person in the car. If they are wearing a seatbelt, what happens when they get hit?

AlephNumbers said:
Okay. Think about the person in the car. If they are wearing a seatbelt, what happens when they get hit?
Their body/head jolts forward and backward?

Yes, but it is important to specify that their head and neck rotate due to the torque exerted at somewhere around the base of the neck by the seatbelt.

If it were simply a linear motion then their heads would have to pop off their bodies and fly until they came into contact with something else. Surely you can see how absurd that would be?

AlephNumbers said:
If it were simply a linear motion then their heads would have to pop off their bodies and fly until they came into contact with something else. Surely you can see how absurd that would be?
Yeah I get that, I'm just trying to figure out what a reasonable acceleration is for the car that gets hit

Look up values for the mass of a truck and the mass of a minivan.

1. What is whiplash and how does it occur in a car crash?

Whiplash is a type of neck injury that occurs when a sudden, forceful movement of the head and neck causes the neck muscles and ligaments to stretch beyond their normal range of motion. In a car crash, this can happen when a vehicle is hit from behind, causing the head to suddenly jerk back and forth.

2. What factors contribute to the risk of whiplash and brain injury in a car crash?

The risk of whiplash and brain injury in a car crash is influenced by various factors including the speed of the vehicles involved, the angle of impact, the size and weight of the vehicles, and the use of seatbelts and headrests. Other factors such as the age and physical condition of the individuals involved can also play a role.

3. How does the design of a vehicle affect the risk of whiplash and brain injury in a car crash?

The design of a vehicle, particularly its front and rear structures, can impact the risk of whiplash and brain injury in a car crash. Vehicles with advanced safety features such as crumple zones, reinforced frames, and headrests that are properly positioned and designed can help reduce the risk of these injuries.

4. Is there a way to prevent whiplash and brain injury in a car crash?

While it is not possible to completely prevent whiplash and brain injury in a car crash, there are steps that can be taken to minimize the risk. These include ensuring that seatbelts and headrests are used correctly, maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles, and avoiding sudden braking or acceleration.

5. What research has been done on whiplash and brain injury risk in car crashes?

There have been numerous studies and research projects conducted on whiplash and brain injury risk in car crashes. These have looked at various factors such as vehicle design, crash test simulations, and injury mechanisms to better understand how these injuries occur and how they can be prevented. Ongoing research is also being conducted to develop new safety technologies and improve vehicle designs to reduce the risk of these injuries.