Car Horn Pet Peeve: An Aggressive Rant

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car pet
In summary: That's the sort of thing that makes people want to open fire on people who honk their horns.Make it illegal to sell a car without a tape deck.In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of car horns in American culture, with the consensus being that they are often used aggressively and unhelpfully. An example is given of a situation where the person was forced to block traffic and received honks from other cars instead of understanding or patience. Other participants share their experiences and opinions on the matter, with some suggesting alternative ways to communicate on the road. The conversation ends with a suggestion to make it illegal to sell cars without a tape deck.
<rant> I rarely rant, but this one really bothers me. I absolutely hate how Americans use the car horn. It's almost always aggressive and unhelpful. I can understand using the car horn when someone callously wrongs someone else or for helpful communication, but far too often it's aggressive and unhelpful. Just today I got put into a bad position where I ended up blocking traffic until I could get free to another lane. Cars proceeded to honk their horns at me. As if I didn't realize I made a mistake and was blocking traffic. Yes thank you for reminding me with your horns. But it wasn't even one horn blast of frustration which I could at least possibley understand, they proceed to keep honking their horns. I was trapped until I could let other cars past me so I could get in the next lane. There was nothing I could do. I even put my hand up to signify I was sorry. They still blasted their horns as if I could do anything about it. It boggled my mind. What exactly did they expect me to do. Yes I understand I made a mistake, yes I understand I am inconveniencing you and I am sorry, now please be patient as there is nothing either of us can do at the moment. Far too often I see this happen to other people. Others will honk their horns like crazy at people who block traffic temporarily or make an innocent mistake. The horn in that case really serves absolutely no value. Yet people just do it as an "F You". arrrrrgh I hate it! </rant> :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you couldn't keep going in the lane you were in, how could you possibly be blocking traffic and why would they be honking their horns?

BobG said:
If you couldn't keep going in the lane you were in, how could you possibly be blocking traffic and why would they be honking their horns?

Two lane downtown city road turning left, I pulled out and a few cars came out of no where and I had to stop half way pulling out, blocking the right lane, I couldn't reverse as another car was behind me.

Honking is generally unhelpful. There are people that blast their horns when the person ahead of them at an intersection don't move immediately when the light turns green. I could understand that if the driver ahead of you is clearly talking on their cell phone and distracted, but there are plenty of drivers who are a bit slow on the uptake. There is no excuse for blasting some grandmother because she didn't get a drag-race start on green.

The only time that I use my horn is to make a very short "beep" when I overtaking another driver and intend to pass. I also flash my high-beams briefly. It's just common courtesy. Courtesy seems to be in short supply on the roads, these days.

Honkers are bonkers! :approve:

If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.

Many years ago the horn in the zoobiebrushmobile began to sound non-stop for no apparent reason when I was parked in a parking lot. Bashing the switch did nothing. The fuse turned out to be shared with something else I needed, so the only way to shut it up was to open the hood and disconnect it.

I have not had a horn for years now. This has made me a patient careful driver. I've learned to sit with equanimity behind people dreaming at stop lights, waiting kindly for them to finish their naps and notice the light's now green. I slow down for jaywalkers, and have learned to be satisfied merely thinking bad thoughts about people whom I would otherwise have honked at.

Horns are intended to warn, but that actual effect they have is to startle and anger. It's often impossible to tell who's honking and at whom, and everyone in the vicinity ends up on edge.

I think car manufacturers should get together with psychologists and rethink the sound horns produce. As is, they nearly always make the problem worse.

Honking is a guilt absolving ritual.

you should've gotten out of your car and kicked the tires like it was broken.

There should be two horns in every car - a nice one, and a ROARRRR one.

Greg Bernhardt said:
they proceed to keep honking their horns

Try to stop, leave the car, go to see the trunk, then proceed to the honker and ask in a concerned voice what have happened, as you can't see anything wrong and you are afraid of even a scratch, as it is not your car.

Disney caught it ~ 1950 in "Mr Walker & Mr WHeeler"

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Two lane downtown city road turning left, I pulled out and a few cars came out of no where and I had to stop half way pulling out, blocking the right lane, I couldn't reverse as another car was behind me.

So there was something you could have done. You could have quit inconveniencing the people wanting to travel in your lane and inconvenienced the cars coming the other way by pulling out right in front of them.

Kind of depends on what type of vehicles were coming the other way as to which would have been the better option. If the vehicles coming the other way looked like this, then pulling out in front of them would probably hardly inconvenience them at all. They probably wouldn't even bother to honk their horns.

http://www.paramountgroup.biz/uploads/assets/pictures/General_Site_Pictures/Products/Land/Marauder/marauder.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo said:
The only time that I use my horn is to make a very short "beep" when I overtaking another driver and intend to pass. I also flash my high-beams briefly. It's just common courtesy. Courtesy seems to be in short supply on the roads, these days.

Are you kidding? I would find that highly offensive. First you blind me and then you want to complain that I'm driving too slow? If you want to pass, pass. If you need me to slow down in order for you to pass, maybe you don't understand the point of passing.

If you're talking about two-lane mountain roads, I know the rules and I'll pull into the next turnout if I'm in front of three or more cars who want to go faster. But not you, by yourself. And if you're following me too close in a truck, blinding me with your high-beams, I can't see whether there are more cars waiting behind you. So sit tight.

The thing that really gets me in LA (not sure how much this happens elsewhere) is honking at pedestrians (who have the audacity to get in the way!). As if scaring the living crap out of them is going to make them get out of the way faster. Car horns are loud. I have a personal rule never to honk at pedestrians no matter how much they inconvenience me, even if they are wrong.

turbo said:

In the UK, that usually means you are inviting the car in front to have a race. So expect to be driving on the wrong side of the road for quite a long way when you pull out to overtake, if it's "game on".

The "civilised" meaning of a headlamp flash in the UK is to show you will give way to another car, (that wants to merge into your lane, or turn across your path, or whatever) even though "the rules" say you don't need to do that.

arildno said:
Honking is a guilt absolving ritual.
That describes what happened to me just a few minutes ago on a three lane. I was in the left lane passing someone in the center lane. As I did, another car came up to my rear at about 80 mph. He had to slow down while I completed passing. I started to go into the center lane when I saw that there was another car in the right lane also moving into the center lane. I had to abandon my lane change for a second while that car went ahead of me and then I was able to get into the center lane myself with the accompaniment of a one-horn band. It was his way of telling me that he hadn't been paying attention to what was going on and almost rear-ended me. Thanks for letting me know.

It amuses me to see what passes for boorish road behaviour in the US. I've actually driven in the US - San Diego, to be exact, and I found it to be a refreshingly peaceful change from the driving patterns in my native Singapore. Even making allowances for the fact that you guys drive on the wrong side of the road (despite driving on the "right" side :biggrin:), most US drivers are paragons of politeness compared to the average Singaporean driver.

Here, lane changes with prior signalling are an exception rather than the norm. It's not necessarily rudeness, a lot of it is just survival instinct, because if you signal, seven times out of ten, the idiot behind will actually speed up to block you. :rolleyes: And people consider it a weakness if they allow turning traffic to encroach (as is their right) into a marked yellow box junctions, so they often block it (even though it's illegal). Horns punctuate the on-road soundtrack almost everyday. Accompanied by the frequent flashes of high beams, of course.

So if you think the US is bad, try Singapore.

And if you think Singapore's bad, try Thailand.

And if you think Thailand's bad, try India.

...etc. There's always someone in a crazier situation out there. :wink:

On a positive note, I've found that drivers in the UK generally have the best road manners I've seen anywhere.

AlephZero said:
The "civilised" meaning of a headlamp flash in the UK is to show you will give way to another car, (that wants to merge into your lane, or turn across your path, or whatever) even though "the rules" say you don't need to do that.
In Maine (lots of truck traffic on main roads) the high-beam flash is meant to tell truck-drivers that their vehicle is safely by you so that they can can pull back into your lane or to signal to a driver up ahead that you intend to pass them. Nobody is getting blinded by such a headlight flash, and the truckers surely appreciate the courtesy. Except for I-95, almost all the main roads here are 2-lanes and we need to observe some common courtesy so we an all be safe.

Greg Bernhardt said:
There was nothing I could do.

I believe that the message in the incessant honking is that there was something the driver could do: not make the mistake next time.

The honking is an attempt to shame people into being less aggressive in general.

DaveC426913 said:
The honking is an attempt to shame people into being less aggressive in general.

Generally, that just pisses people off and makes them more aggressive. I've used my horn a number of times to keep other drivers from crashing into me only to get the finger or angry fist. Driving is stressful and a shamed or embarrassed driver will often become angry. These days, you're liable to get shot in such circumstances.

Horns are to be used to warn other drivers or pedestrians that they are about to do something dangerous, not to admonish them after making a mistake. Although it rarely happens, you can be ticketed for improper use of a horn.

I tend not to use my horn unless necessary because it sounds like a clown horn (seriously). Might as well just have the music playing in the background and get someone who can juggle while I'm at it.

DaveC426913 said:
I believe that the message in the incessant honking is that there was something the driver could do: not make the mistake next time.

I think so as well, a while ago we were almost driven off the road by some driver not looking over his shoulder when changing lanes on the freeway. A collision was avoided by smashing the breaks, the squeaking tires alerted the driver that something was going on. Of course you then sound the horn, even though we were safe at that time: that driver should be aware of his massive mistake.

Having a car pulled half-way onto a road with on coming traffic sounds dangerous as well, you could have backed up and the car behind you should have given way. With all the honking, the car behind you just stayed put? At least no accidents happened, that's what matters.

Monique said:
I think so as well, a while ago we were almost driven off the road by some driver not looking over his shoulder when changing lanes on the freeway.
I didn't realize that der Nederlands was large enough to have a freeway. That's about... what... a couple of hours drive coast to coast? :tongue:
It might be different for Dave, being in the clutches of Hogtown, but in most of Canada it's illegal to use the horn in the method described by Greg. It can legitimately be used only as a warning device or a brief communication such as to get the attention of a friend that you then wave to. Any aggressive use thereof constitutes disturbing the peace.
I used the one in my Roadrunner fairly frequently for fun, but it could never be taken as an aggressive gesture because it actually goes "Meep meep" just like the cartoon character.

Danger said:
I didn't realize that der Nederlands was large enough to have a freeway. That's about... what... a couple of hours drive coast to coast? :tongue:
Der Nederlands is a new word for me.. what language is that?
It takes two hours to drive from the west coast to the east border, there are even express lanes without any exits.. can you imagine that? :biggrin:

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:

Except when the honking is an attempt to find out if the bad driver has a gun.

There's no message in honking. It's just a release of frustration. I imagine there's at least a hope the honking makes the bad driver feel worse, but I don't think that's as important as how honking makes the honker feel.

Maybe Greg should have smiled and waved excitedly at the people that were honking, as if he suddenly recognized who they were and why they were trying to get his attention. :rofl:

It is, by the way, refreshing and exotic, to read about how a strange culture handles or mishandles, quarrels in the day-to-day transports&communication sector.
We have a simpler way to manage differences here in NOrway:
We just loosen the reins of our polar bears if we feel mistreated by others. :smile:

Borek said:
Try to stop, leave the car, go to see the trunk, then proceed to the honker and ask in a concerned voice what have happened, as you can't see anything wrong and you are afraid of even a scratch, as it is not your car.

My father did this once. At a right turn, the guy behind him was in a Corvette and was way too impatient. He blasted my father with the horn. My father got out of his car, went around to the back, checked his lights and trunk, and looked at the guy questioningly.

The 'vette roared around him, up on the curb, scraping his underside all the way. :rofl:

Greg Bernhardt said:
<rant> I rarely rant, but this one really bothers me. I absolutely hate how Americans use the car horn.

IMO, you are over reacting. If you screwed up, you deserve a honk on the horn. As someone that has been behind the wheel for more than 40 years, I've had the horn blown at me more than a few times. I don't like it either, but for the most part, I don't like it because I got caught being wrong and I hate being wrong and caught. So is it the horn or being caught red handed :smile:? The only time I really hate the horn is when traffic is backed up, a light is red, or some idiot thinks you going 5 mph over the speed limit is to slow and wants you to move.

So, IMO, if you screw up, get caught and ticking other drivers off in the process, don't complain about the horn... learn the lesson. I just kind of smile and think "oops, damn, busted".

Greg Bernhardt said:
If you shift into reverse, the sight of your rear lights might prompt the guy behind you into backing up to give you room.

Monique said:
Der Nederlands is a new word for me.. what language is that?
:redface: That was a pitiful attempt at faking a Dutch accent...
Monique said:
It takes two hours to drive from the west coast to the east border, there are even express lanes without any exits.. can you imagine that? :biggrin:

:bugeye: That is truly frightening. It would work only for motorhomes here. Our regular cars don't have toilets or refrigerators. Depending upon weather conditions, the mood of local wildlife, and whatnot, it takes about a week to drive across Canada. You people with pocket-size countries just weird me out. (By the bye, I didn't mean to imply that you're on an island; North Americans use the term "coast to coast" to mean "border to border", simply because our east and west borders actually are ocean coasts.)
You give me an idea here. Maybe you should twist one of your exitless freeways into a Mobius strip and see if you can achieve time travel...

Hurkyl said:
If you shift into reverse, the sight of your rear lights might prompt the guy behind you into backing up to give you room.
:biggrin:
If there is no other traffic in the immediate area and some idiot tailgates me, I lock the brakes for a fraction of a second, then romp on the throttle to get out of the way of a collision. The guy generally has to go home to change his pants. (And no, I don't care if he goes off of the road and possibly gets killed. Evolution in action.)
An acquaintance of mine who drove a pick-up truck was taught a neat trick by her husband. She would hammer the brakes and throttle at the same time, again for less than half a second. The whole ***-end of the truck, tires and all, would jump off of the ground without the vehicle actually slowing down. It was particularly effective since the bed was usually full of loose stuff like shovels, wheelbarrows, etc. that they used for work.

I agree with the OP.

Even assuming that there was a "maneuver" the OP could have done what will honking the horn do for the situation at hand...other than let the driver & others that you are upset and/or notice a driver error.

I was in my late twenties by the time I learned I share the road with people. People who can and will make mistakes, drive how they feel comfortable.

blocking a lane causing a comparatively short delay (a light cycle or less) in my opinion is hardly reason to point out the obvious in an obnoxious way, let alone get upset.

Said different getting emotionally upset because of an others diving error is my issue to deal with, honking the horn obnoxiously at an obvious error seems moot to me. Perhaps it makes others feel better about the traffic situation they are in.

Somewhat related, in order for my horn to work I need to press a very specific place on the steering wheel. I swear that specific place on the steering wheel moves around.
So I don't bother with trying to use the horn, and you know what I still get from point a to point b. Fancy that.

Last edited:
nitsuj said:
in order for my horn to work I need to press a very specific place on the steering wheel. I swear that specific place on the steering wheel moves around.

Depending upon what you drive, it might be a good idea to have that checked out by a mechanic. If there's an electrical fault, it could adversely affect anything from your cruise control or turn signals to your airbag.

ThinkToday said:
IMO, you are over reacting. If you screwed up, you deserve a honk on the horn. ...

So, IMO, if you screw up, get caught and ticking other drivers off in the process, don't complain about the horn... learn the lesson. I just kind of smile and think "oops, damn, busted".

Did you read the OP's entire post?

...But it wasn't even one horn blast of frustration which I could at least possibly understand, they proceed to keep honking their horns...
... I even put my hand up to signify I was sorry. They still blasted their horns...

ThinkToday said:
IMO, you are over reacting. If you screwed up, you deserve a honk on the horn.

So the horn is a device of punishment? It should be for helpful communication. Honking at me served no helpful purpose. It didn't speed up anything. As I said in the OP a small honk of frustration I could handle, but there was a long line of ghetto blasting of the horns as if I could change the situation.

Danger said:
If there is no other traffic in the immediate area and some idiot tailgates me, I lock the brakes for a fraction of a second, then romp on the throttle to get out of the way of a collision. The guy generally has to go home to change his pants. (And no, I don't care if he goes off of the road and possibly gets killed. Evolution in action.)

I don't pull dangerous stunts on tailgaters. But I did do this:

Was driving home on a 2-lane highway through hilly country, I had about 100 miles left to drive. Some guy started tailgating me. There was oncoming traffic, so he could not pass. However, the road was open and straight enough that we could have gone around 70 mph.

My response to tailgaters is "OK, you're choosing what following distance you want, I will choose a speed that is safe at that following distance." I slowed (gently) to exactly 50 mph, where I felt more or less comfortable. Slow enough to drive him nuts, but not slow enough to make him do something stupid.

Then I stayed at 50 mph for about 15 minutes. Watched my speedometer and made sure my speed didn't budge an inch. Even though I had a huge stretch of empty road in front of me. 15 minutes out of my day is no big deal, and the view was nice.

I waited until I thought he had given up hope of going faster. Then I pushed on the accelerator and jumped to 70 in the space of about a few seconds. Left him way behind. He didn't bother following closely again.

Greg Bernhardt said:
So the horn is a device of punishment? It should be for helpful communication. Honking at me served no helpful purpose. It didn't speed up anything. As I said in the OP a small honk of frustration I could handle, but there was a long line of ghetto blasting of the horns as if I could change the situation.
Sorry to hear that, Greg. If you come to New England, steer clear of Boston. It's a difficult city to drive in due to its antiquated "hub" layout, and the natives apply the horn quite liberally. Funny thing - the horns work perfectly well, but the turn-signals are all disabled, apparently. It is a whole lot more pleasant driving in Manhattan. No kidding.