Carbon energy transition levels

In summary: Delta-E = -0.8 eVBeta = 0.6 eVIn summary, the energy difference between 1s and 2p in a carbon atom is -0.8 eV.
brocq_18
How do I find the energy difference between 1s and 2p, in a carbon atom? I'm right in assuming this is a constant value, and yet I cannot find the answer anywhere..?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
brocq_18 said:
How do I find the energy difference between 1s and 2p, in a carbon atom? I'm right in assuming this is a constant value, and yet I cannot find the answer anywhere..?

Thanks

Actually, it's far from constant .. it depends on the chemical environment of the carbon atom. The 2p orbitals are valence orbitals, and mix with orbitals on other elements to form chemical bonds. You can probably find the value for the separation in a free atom, but that is probably the only place where the distinction makes sense. Even in allotropes of elemental carbon (i.e. graphite, diamond, fullerenes), the bonding between the C-atoms are different, so the energy gap is going to be different.

Anyway, the experimental technique that is most directly sensitive to the quantity you are interested in is probably Auger-electron spectroscopy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auger_electron_spectroscopy). I would recommend searching online using Auger as a keyword. Another technique that can reveal such differences is photoelectron spectroscopy (PES). However, in that case you would need to compare separate values for the core (1s) and valence (2p) electrons, and as I said, those will be highly dependent on the chemical environment. I would suggest starting with diamond or graphite when looking for values. Also, note that the core levels will be measured by Xray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), while the valence levels are more in the vacuum ultraviolet (VUV), so you'll probably need to look in two different places for the numbers you need.

Thanks for your response SpectraCat. How would I proceed if this is the only information I am given in a question; Look up the constants delta and beta at carbon 2p - 1s transition energy for tungsten and carbon. Answer the following questions, which all refer to this energy...

I believe I know how to find the answers to the qustions, but I do not understand how to find this energy. Especially as I now know it is not a constant..

1. What is the definition of carbon energy transition levels?

Carbon energy transition levels refer to the different stages of transitioning from high-carbon energy sources, such as fossil fuels, to low-carbon or zero-carbon energy sources, such as renewable energy.

2. Why is there a need for carbon energy transition levels?

The need for carbon energy transition levels is driven by the urgency to reduce carbon emissions and mitigate the impacts of climate change. By transitioning to low-carbon energy sources, we can reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and decrease carbon emissions, which contribute to global warming.

3. What are the main challenges in implementing carbon energy transition levels?

One of the main challenges is the high initial cost of transitioning to low-carbon energy sources. This includes the cost of infrastructure and technology needed to produce and distribute renewable energy. Additionally, there may be resistance from industries and individuals who are heavily reliant on fossil fuels.

4. How can governments and businesses support the transition to low-carbon energy?

Governments can implement policies and regulations that incentivize the use of low-carbon energy sources and penalize the use of high-carbon energy sources. They can also provide financial support and subsidies for renewable energy projects. Businesses can also play a role by investing in and promoting the use of renewable energy in their operations.

5. What are the potential benefits of successfully transitioning to low-carbon energy?

Successfully transitioning to low-carbon energy can have numerous benefits, including reducing carbon emissions and mitigating the impacts of climate change, improving air quality, creating new job opportunities in the renewable energy sector, and reducing our dependence on finite resources such as fossil fuels.