Carbonic Acid Breakup: Does It Separate Immediately?

• Thread starter JaeKyung
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the conversation discusses the stability and decomposition of carbonic acid. It is stated that the acid is stable as a single molecule, but decomposes quickly in the presence of water. Whether carbon dioxide is produced depends on the amount produced and its solubility in water.
JaeKyung
Hello everyone,

Just one question:
Does carbonic acid always immediately separate into water and carbon dioxide?

I am writing down the reaction equation for HCl(aq) + NaHCO3(s) and HCl(aq) + Na2CO3(aq) that I tested in the lab.
My TA told me carbon dioxide wouldn't form but I don't know why that is, and I keep thinking H2CO3 would break up when it's formed.

Thank you in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It decomposes almost immediately. Actually... carbonic acid is quite stable, but not in the presence of water. As it decomposes producing water, its decomposition is pretty fast, so it is unstable :smile:

In other words: single, separated molecule is stable.

However, whether you will see evolving CO2 depends on how much will be produced - carbon dioxide is soluble in water.

1. What is carbonic acid and why does it break up?

Carbonic acid is a weak acid that is formed when carbon dioxide dissolves in water. The chemical formula for carbonic acid is H2CO3. It breaks up, or dissociates, into water (H2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2) molecules due to its weak bond strength.

2. How quickly does carbonic acid separate into water and carbon dioxide?

The separation of carbonic acid into water and carbon dioxide molecules is a relatively quick process, occurring within a matter of seconds. However, the rate of separation can be influenced by factors such as temperature and pressure.

3. What happens to the carbon dioxide and water molecules after carbonic acid breaks up?

After carbonic acid breaks up, the carbon dioxide molecules and water molecules remain in solution. The carbon dioxide molecules can also escape into the surrounding air, leading to the characteristic fizzing of carbonated drinks.

4. Does carbonic acid always break up immediately?

No, carbonic acid does not always break up immediately. The rate of dissociation depends on the concentration of carbonic acid in the solution, as well as external factors such as temperature and pressure.

5. Why is the breakup of carbonic acid important in the carbon cycle?

The breakup of carbonic acid plays a crucial role in the carbon cycle, as it is the primary way that carbon dioxide is released into the atmosphere. This process is essential for maintaining a balance of carbon in the Earth's atmosphere and is a key factor in regulating the Earth's climate.