Carburetors: Weight or Volume? Moe in Wichita, KS Wants to Know

In summary, the conversation is about carburetors and the debate between whether they use weight or volume to put fuel into an engine. Moe, a mechanic in Wichita, KS, shares that he has been working on carburetors since 1965 and has read a lot of information on them. He mentions that manufacturers state that carbs weigh the air and fuel, but he has heard others say they use volume. The conversation is then moved to a more knowledgeable forum, where an engineer explains that carbs work on Bernoulli's principle and the speed of air flow determines the amount of fuel drawn in. Moe thanks the engineer for the clarification.
moe7404
moe in wichita ks
i started working on carburators in 1965. i read every thing i could get my hands on about carbs. all the info i got from the carb manufactors was that carbs weigh the air and fuel. but i have a couple of guys say a carb uses volume to put the fuel in a engine. so is it weight or volume? thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm moving this from General Physics to the ME and Aero forum, where it will get more knowledgeable feedback.

Carburetors basically work by measuring air flow based on pressure difference, or volume flow if you want to put it that way.

Wikipedia.com said:
The carburetor works on Bernoulli's principle: the faster air moves, the lower its static pressure, and the higher its dynamic pressure. The throttle (accelerator) linkage does not directly control the flow of liquid fuel. Instead, it actuates carburetor mechanisms which meter the flow of air being pulled into the engine. The speed of this flow, and therefore its pressure, determines the amount of fuel drawn into the airstream.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor

moe in wichita ks
thanks for moving this subject. thanks to mech engineer for your answer. i guess i knew what you said, i just thought it ment that the air was weighed, but your answer is very good, thanks

1. How does the weight of a carburetor affect its performance?

The weight of a carburetor can affect its performance in several ways. A lighter carburetor can often improve overall vehicle performance by reducing the weight of the vehicle and improving acceleration. However, a heavier carburetor may also provide more stability and durability, which can be beneficial for certain types of vehicles or driving conditions.

2. Is it better to have a carburetor with a higher or lower weight-to-volume ratio?

This depends on the specific needs of the vehicle and its engine. A higher weight-to-volume ratio means the carburetor is heavier, which can provide more stability and durability. However, a lower weight-to-volume ratio means the carburetor is lighter, which can improve acceleration and overall performance. It is important to consider the specific needs and capabilities of the vehicle when choosing a carburetor weight-to-volume ratio.

3. How does the volume of a carburetor affect its performance?

The volume of a carburetor can affect its performance in several ways. A larger volume carburetor can provide more fuel to the engine, which can increase horsepower and torque. However, a smaller volume carburetor may provide better fuel efficiency and can be beneficial for smaller engines or vehicles with lower power needs.

4. What is the ideal weight-to-volume ratio for a carburetor?

There is no one ideal weight-to-volume ratio for carburetors as it largely depends on the specific needs and capabilities of the vehicle. It is important to consider factors such as the engine size, vehicle weight, and desired performance when determining the best weight-to-volume ratio for a carburetor.

5. How can I determine the weight and volume of a carburetor?

The weight and volume of a carburetor can vary depending on the make and model. The best way to determine these specifications is to refer to the manufacturer's specifications or consult with a mechanic or automotive expert. Additionally, there are online resources and databases that can provide information on the weight and volume of different carburetors.