Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cardinalic flaw of Riemann integral

1. Aug 22, 2012 #1
    I have learnt that integral is the Riemann sum of infinite rectangle, that:
    Ʃ[itex]^{n=1}_{∞}[/itex]f(xi)Δxi = ∫[itex]^{b}_{a}[/itex]f(x)dx
    However, I think that (a,b) is the continuous interval, so the number of rectangle should be c instead of [itex]\aleph[/itex]0 (cardinality of natural number N).
    So I wonder whether there are some problem that this definition is not valid anymore.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2012 #2

Bacle2

Science Advisor

How so? The oo you're using is the countable infinity. An uncountable sum will

necessarily diverge , unless only countably-many are non-zero. Still, good

question.

Edit: after reading SteveL's comment, I guess I should be more precise:

The limit in the sum you describe is a limit as you approach countable infinity;

so you are selecting one point x_i* in each subinterval , and , as N-->oo (countable

infinity) there is a bijection between the number of rectangles and the x_i* you choose.

Since the x_i* are indexed by countable infinity, so are the rectangles.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  4. Aug 22, 2012 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Each Δxi is a continuum - there is no contradiction.

5. Aug 22, 2012 #4
    I'm a little confused about this definition. Typically the Riemann integral is the limit of Riemann sums, each one of which is a finite sum over a partition of the interval. Each partition is a finite set of subintervals.

There is no infinite sum such as you've notated. Is this a definition you saw in class or in a book?

6. Aug 23, 2012 #5
    Thanks for explanation, I have understood.
    And I mean it's the limit of finite sum, but I am a bit lazy so I remove the limit part for convenience.

7. Aug 24, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it isn't. It is a limit of Riemann sums, each of which involves a finite sum. That is not "the Riemann sum of infinite rectangles" which is not defined.
    It should be no suprise that your mistaken definition is not valid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook