Exploring Function Types and Inverses in Cardinality

• Thread starter ded8381
  • Start date
In summary, there are different types of functions such as continuous, surjective, injective, bijective, continuous surjective, continuous injective, and continuous bijective. These types can be applied to functions with different domains and codomains such as [0,1], (0,1), [0,1), Q, R, and N. It is not possible to have a bijection between sets with different cardinalities or an injection from a larger set to a smaller set, or a surjection from a smaller set to a larger set. Different topologies can also affect the classification of maps, and functions can also be classified by their differentiability properties. The question of function types may be relevant in the study of topology
ded8381
Function Types: continuous, surjective, injective, bijective, continuous surjective, continuous injective, continuous bijective. Then all of the above -- with each possible type of inverse?

What is possible with F:X-->Y where X, Y can be [0,1], (0,1), [0,1), Q, R, N?

I certainly don't expect a full listed answer for each combination, but some general principles would be great. :)

I already know there couldn't be bijections between sets of different cardinality. And I know there couldn't be an injection from greater to lower, or a surjection from smaller to greater cardinality.

Thanks

David

Physics news on Phys.org
Specifying, for instance [0,1), is not enough. You need to specify the topology. The same set can be equipped with different topologies.

I'm assuming he means the standard Euclidean topology

Well, then maps can be classified, for instance, by their differentiability properties - whenever applicable, and there are infinitely many classes. But why would one ask such question?

Yes the Euclidean metric. I'm not really interested in differentiability types right now -- just the ones listed (surjective, injective, etc...) Maybe this is the wrong folder to ask -- but the question came to me while studying topology so it seemed appropriate.

David

1. What is cardinality?

Cardinality refers to the number of elements in a set. It is a measure of the size or quantity of the set.

2. How is cardinality different from function?

Cardinality is a property of a set, while a function is a mapping between sets that assigns each element in one set to a unique element in another set.

3. What is an example of a cardinality question?

An example of a cardinality question would be "How many elements are in the set of all even numbers between 1 and 10?" The cardinality of this set would be 5.

4. How do you calculate the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set can be calculated by counting the number of elements in the set. For larger sets, you can also use mathematical formulas or algorithms to determine cardinality.

5. How is cardinality used in data analysis?

Cardinality is an important concept in data analysis as it helps determine the size and complexity of data sets. It is used to understand the relationships between different sets of data and to identify patterns and trends within the data.