Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cardinality/Function Question

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    Function Types: continuous, surjective, injective, bijective, continuous surjective, continuous injective, continuous bijective. Then all of the above -- with each possible type of inverse?

What is possible with F:X-->Y where X, Y can be [0,1], (0,1), [0,1), Q, R, N?

I certainly don't expect a full listed answer for each combination, but some general principles would be great. :)

I already know there couldn't be bijections between sets of different cardinality. And I know there couldn't be an injection from greater to lower, or a surjection from smaller to greater cardinality.

Thanks

David

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2010 #2
    Specifying, for instance [0,1), is not enough. You need to specify the topology. The same set can be equipped with different topologies.

4. Sep 21, 2010 #3
    I'm assuming he means the standard Euclidean topology

5. Sep 21, 2010 #4
    Well, then maps can be classified, for instance, by their differentiability properties - whenever applicable, and there are infinitely many classes. But why would one ask such question?

6. Sep 21, 2010 #5
    Yes the Euclidean metric. I'm not really interested in differentiability types right now -- just the ones listed (surjective, injective, etc...) Maybe this is the wrong folder to ask -- but the question came to me while studying topology so it seemed appropriate.

David

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook