Cardinality of infinity (2)

In summary, the author is still struggling with the topic of cardinality and would like someone to help. The solutions said that {y=ax+b|a,b E R} <-> R2, but the author is wondering what is the actual mapping that gives one-to-one correspondence (1-1, onto). There is a bijection between the set of all real numbers and this set, but what if S and T are "empty sets"? How can I prove the statement in these cases? The author also asked about the equation of a particular line and how to find a particular point in the plane. The author was given the equation of a line and told to find a particular point, but is having a
kingwinner
I am still struggling with the topic of cardinality, it would be nice if someone could help:

1) http://www.geocities.com/asdfasdf23135/absmath2.jpg

In the solutions , they said that{y=ax+b|a,b E R} <-> R2.
But I am wondering...what is the actual mapping that gives one-to-one correspondence (1-1, onto)? How can we define such a map?

Also, I don't understand the last line of the solutions at all. In particular, c+c=c? How come? I am feeling very uncomfortable about this...

2) Show that if S and T are finite sets, then the set of all functions from S to T has |T||S| many elements.

My idea: Fix an element of S, there are |T| possible ways to map this element of S to an element of T. S has |S| many elements, so we have |T| x |T| x ... x |T| (|S| times)=|T||S| ways to determine a function from S to T, and thus |T||S| elements in the set of all functions from S to T.

But what if S and T are "empty sets"? How can I prove the statement in these cases?

Thanks for any help!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
kingwinner said:
I am still struggling with the topic of cardinality, it would be nice if someone could help:

1) http://www.geocities.com/asdfasdf23135/absmath2.jpg

In the solutions , they said that{y=ax+b|a,b E R} <-> R2.
But I am wondering...what is the actual mapping that gives one-to-one correspondence (1-1, onto)? How can we define such a map?
How do you specify the equation of a particular line? How do you identify a particular point in the plane? This should give you the mapping; he has given it to you in the curly braces.

Also, I don't understand the last line of the solutions at all. In particular, c+c=c? How come? I am feeling very uncomfortable about this...
c is the cardinality of the set of all real numbers. He's simply saying that the union of these two sets is has the same cardinality; there is a bijection between the set of all real numbers and this set. Can you find one?

Last edited:
slider142 said:
How do you specify the equation of a particular line? How do you identify a particular point in the plane? This should give you the mapping; he has given it to you in the curly braces.
Let f: R2->{y=ax+b, a,b E R} be the bijection defined by f(a,b)=ax+b, a,b E R. Is this the correct map? How can we prove that this is onto? (is there any systematic way to prove onto?)

c is the cardinality of the set of all real numbers. He's simply saying that the union of these two sets is has the same cardinality; there is a bijection between the set of all real numbers and this set. Can you find one?
OK, I think I've missed a theorem: a countable union of sets of cardinality c has cardnality c. Now, I get the general idea.

First of all, why is R2 countable?
The justification that I get in the solutions is that "Countable squares of unit sides covers R2, and |[0,1]x[0,1]|=c, so |R2|=c", but I don't get it, how do you know that the number of squares to cover R2 is countable?

And I am sorry, I can't figure out the bijection between {all real numbers} and {all lines in xy-plane}, I am having a pretty hard time on finding these bijections...

Last edited:
Actually, (a,b) mapped to the line y= ax+ b is NOT onto- it misses the vertical lines. However, there is an obvious correspondence between real numbers a and the vertical line x= a so the set of all vertical lines is of cardinality "only" c so that does not affect the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Actually, (a,b) mapped to the line y= ax+ b is NOT onto- it misses the vertical lines. However, there is an obvious correspondence between real numbers a and the vertcal line x= a so the set of all vertical lines is of cardinality "only" c so that does not affect the answer.
Say A={y=ax+b, a,b E R}
Let f: R2->A be defined by f(a,b)=ax+b, a,b E R, then it will be onto A, or simply onto, right? In general f: U->V is onto iff (image of U)= V, that's the definition of onto, I believe...

Now I am struggling to understand why R2 has cardnality c. How does it follow from the theorem: a countable union of sets of cardinality c has cardnality c?

kingwinner said:
Say A={y=ax+b, a,b E R}
Let f: R2->A be defined by f(a,b)=ax+b, a,b E R, then it will be onto A, or simply onto, right? In general f: U->V is onto iff (image of U)= V, that's the definition of onto, I believe...
Yes, but my point was that the set of all "ax+ b" is NOT equivalent to the set of all lines in R2- it does not include any vertical lines which cannot be written in that form.

Now I am struggling to understand why R2 has cardnality c. How does it follow from the theorem: a countable union of sets of cardinality c has cardnality c?
There is another theorem that says that the Cartesian product of a two sets with cardinality c has cardinality c.

Let A={y=ax+b, a,b E R}, B={x=c, c E R}

Let f: R2->A be the bijection defined by f(a,b)=ax+b, a,b E R
Let g: R->B be the bijection defined by f(c)=c, c E R

Thus |A| = |R2| = c
|B| = |R| = c

Theorem (*): a countable union of sets of cardinality c has cardnality c.
So |A U B| = c

I think this is the general idea of the proof. However, |R2| = c needs justification.
The theorem "Cartesian product of a two sets with cardinality c has cardinality c" unfortunately is not taught in my class so I don't think I can use it right now.

How does the fact that the unit square [0,1]x[0,1] has cardnality c, along with theorem (*), imply that R2 is countable? How can a countable number of unit squares cover R2?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
kingwinner said:
Let A={y=ax+b, a,b E R}, B={x=c, c E R}

Let f: R2->A be the bijection defined by f(a,b)=ax+b, a,b E R
Let g: R->B be the bijection defined by f(c)=c, c E R

Thus |A| = |R2| = c
|B| = |R| = c

Theorem (*): a countable union of sets of cardinality c has cardnality c.
So |A U B| = c

I think this is the general idea of the proof. However, |R2| = c needs justification.
The theorem "Cartesian product of a two sets with cardinality c has cardinality c" unfortunately is not taught in my class so I don't think I can use it right now.

How does the fact that the unit square [0,1]x[0,1] is countable, along with theorem (*), imply that R2 is countable? How can a countable number of unit squares cover R2?

Thanks for any help!
Did you mistype? The unit square, like R, is not countable!

But you certainly can cover R2 with a countable number of squares. Place a unit square with left lower corner on (n, m) with n and m integers. That's a countable number of squares that covers all of R2

HallsofIvy said:
Did you mistype? The unit square, like R, is not countable!
Yes, I mistyped, I meant it has cardnality c.

But you certainly can cover R2 with a countable number of squares. Place a unit square with left lower corner on (n, m) with n and m integers. That's a countable number of squares that covers all of R2

Is it because Z x Z is countable?

Yes, exactly.

Thank you!

Does anyone have any idea about question 2? (for the cases in which S and T are "empty sets")
The question says "if S and T are finite sets...", and finite sets can be empty or non-empty, I have proved the statement for the non-empty cases.

What kind of answer do you want? If S and T are empty, then |S||T| is 00 and that is undefined.

1. What is the definition of "Cardinality of Infinity (2)"?

The cardinality of infinity (2) refers to the concept of comparing the sizes of infinite sets. In mathematics, cardinality is a measure of the number of elements in a set. When it comes to infinity, the concept becomes more complex as there are different levels or types of infinity.

2. How is the cardinality of infinity (2) different from regular infinity?

The cardinality of infinity (2) is different from regular infinity because it refers to the comparison of the sizes of infinite sets, rather than just the concept of infinity itself. Regular infinity is a concept that refers to something that has no end, whereas the cardinality of infinity (2) is a way of measuring and comparing infinite sets.

3. What are some examples of infinite sets with different cardinalities?

The set of natural numbers, also known as counting numbers (1, 2, 3, ...), has a different cardinality than the set of real numbers, which includes both rational and irrational numbers. The set of all possible subsets of a given set also has a different cardinality than the original set. These are just a few examples, as there are infinitely many levels of infinity.

4. How is the concept of cardinality of infinity (2) useful in mathematics?

The concept of cardinality of infinity (2) is useful in mathematics because it allows us to compare the sizes of infinite sets and make conclusions about their properties. It also helps in understanding the complexity and vastness of infinity, which has many applications in different branches of mathematics, such as set theory, calculus, and number theory.

5. Can the cardinality of infinity (2) be calculated or measured?

No, the cardinality of infinity (2) cannot be calculated or measured in the same way that finite quantities can be. This is because infinity is a concept that goes beyond any finite measurement. However, mathematicians have developed different methods and tools, such as set theory and cardinal arithmetic, to study and compare the sizes of infinite sets.