Cardinality Proof (Set Theory)

In summary: If you mean "prove in ZFC," let me think about it. I assume that by "generalize this argument" you mean, at the very least, "prove this fact in ZF alone, i.e. without choice." The answer is "no," in fact it's possible to have an infinite set A (i.e. one that cannot be put into bijection with a natural number) such that for no proper subset B of A is there a bijection between B and A (i.e. A is not Dedekind-infinite). I don't know how one would construct the appropriate ZF model, but this is one of those standard facts. If you mean "prove in ZFC,"
Bachelier
I'm trying to prove the following:
if E is infinite set and F is finite set. prove that E and E U F have the same
cardinality ?

So what I did:
I'm going to use Schroeder-Bernstein Thm.
1st, it's easy to show that |E| is less of equal to |E U F| since it is a subset of this latter.

Now I must show that |E U F| <= |E|
So I need to build an injection from E U F to E

Can I just define f(e) = e. Clearly this is 1-1 because if f(e1)= f(e2) then e1=e2. Hence |E U F| <= |E|

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I may not have followed you correctly,

but to show that the cardinality of EUF is < or = to E, your injection should be defined on the whole of EUF. It seems that the f you construct is defined only on E, and so doesn't map elements of F anywhere.

Yosell is correct: the function you describe has E as domain, not [tex]E\cup F[/tex].

That said, you should try proving this theorem by induction. Try to prove it for |F|=1, the rest is easy/similar...

You can assume E and F are disjoint (or else just weed out the elements appearing in E). Choose a sequence a_n in E indexed by natural numbers, and let F = {b_1,...,b_k}. Define a bijection to E U F from E by defining f : E - {a_1,...,} --> E U F by f(x) = x, and f(a_i) = b_i for i<=k, and f(a_{i+k})=a_i. for i >= 1.

Jarle said:
You can assume E and F are disjoint (or else just weed out the elements appearing in E). Choose a sequence a_n in E indexed by natural numbers, and let F = {b_1,...,b_k}. Define a bijection to E U F from E by defining f : E - {a_1,...,} --> E U F by f(x) = x, and f(a_i) = b_i for i<=k, and f(a_{i+k})=a_i. for i >= 1.

WOW, nice bijection. Thanks.

I was thinking, can this be a one line proof using the Continuum Thm. Since there exists no set with cardinality between Aleph naught and 2 to the power of aleph naught. Then there are 2 cases: where E is countable and where it isn't.
If E is countable then |E| = aleph naught and hence F U E is countable as well.
If E in uncoutable then |E| = |IR| = 2^aleph-naught and so is |F U E|.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Bachelier said:
WOW, nice bijection. Thanks.

I was thinking, can this be a one line proof using the Continuum Thm. Since there exists no set with cardinality between Aleph naught and 2 to the power of aleph naught. Then there are 2 cases: where E is countable and where it isn't.
If E is countable then |E| = aleph naught and hence F U E is countable as well.
If E in uncoutable then |E| = |IR| = 2^aleph-naught and so is |F U E|.

What do you think?

If E isun countable, |E| could be larger than [tex]2^{\aleph_0}[/tex].

Also, there's a reason it's called the continuum hypothesis, not the continuum theorem

Office_Shredder said:
If E isun countable, |E| could be larger than [tex]2^{\aleph_0}[/tex].

Also, there's a reason it's called the continuum hypothesis, not the continuum theorem

true. Thanks.

Jarle said:

Thank you Jarle. great bije.
are we talking about the same function here? meaning

f: E - {a_1,...,} --> E U F
x --> x
and:
F: E ----------> E U F
a_i --------> b_i
a_{i+k})---> a_i

Bachelier said:
Thank you Jarle. great bije.
are we talking about the same function here? meaning

f: E - {a_1,...,} --> E U F
x --> x
and:
F: E ----------> E U F
a_i --------> b_i
a_{i+k})---> a_i
He means [itex]f: E \to E \cup F[/itex] defined by:

[tex]f(x) = \left\{\begin{array}{cc}x,&\mbox{ if } x \notin \{ a_1, \dots \}\\b_i, & \mbox{ if } \exists i \leq k (x = a_i)\\a_{i-k}, & \mbox{ if }\exists i > k (x = a_i)\end{array}\right[/tex]

AKG said:
He means [itex]f: E \to E \cup F[/itex] defined by:

[tex]f(x) = \left\{\begin{array}{cc}x,&\mbox{ if } x \notin \{ a_1, \dots \}\\b_i, & \mbox{ if } \exists i \leq k (x = a_i)\\a_{i-k}, & \mbox{ if }\exists i > k (x = a_i)\end{array}\right[/tex]

thanks.

No prob.

can you generalize this argument to show if A is an infinite set then there is an injection from Ax{0,1} to A? As a corollary it would follow that if there is an injection from A to B, then AUB has the same cardinality as B.

mathwonk said:
can you generalize this argument to show if A is an infinite set then there is an injection from Ax{0,1} to A? As a corollary it would follow that if there is an injection from A to B, then AUB has the same cardinality as B.
I assume that by "generalize this argument" you mean, at the very least, "prove this fact in ZF alone, i.e. without choice." The answer is "no," in fact it's possible to have an infinite set A (i.e. one that cannot be put into bijection with a natural number) such that for no proper subset B of A is there a bijection between B and A (i.e. A is not Dedekind-infinite). I don't know how one would construct the appropriate ZF model, but this is one of those standard facts.

1. What is the definition of cardinality in set theory?

Cardinality in set theory refers to the measure of the number of elements in a set. It is denoted by the symbol "|A|" and is also known as the size or cardinal number of a set.

2. How is cardinality calculated?

To calculate the cardinality of a set, one can count the number of distinct elements in the set. For example, if set A = {1, 2, 3, 4}, the cardinality of A is 4 since there are four distinct elements in the set.

3. What is the relationship between cardinality and set equality?

Two sets are considered equal if they have the same cardinality. This means that they contain the same number of elements, even if the elements themselves may differ.

4. Can the cardinality of an infinite set be determined?

Yes, the cardinality of an infinite set can be determined by using the concept of bijection. A set A and B have the same cardinality if there exists a bijection (one-to-one and onto mapping) between the elements of A and B.

5. What is the difference between finite and infinite cardinality?

Finite cardinality refers to the number of elements in a finite set, while infinite cardinality refers to the number of elements in an infinite set. Infinite cardinality is also known as transfinite cardinality, and it can vary in magnitude depending on the specific infinite set being considered.