1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cardnality of Infinite Sets

1. Apr 29, 2008 #1
    1) Find the cardnality of the set of continuous functions from R to R.

Let's consider a simplified version: for the cardnality of the set of functions from R to R, I can compare it with the set of characteristic functions of subsets of R and conclude that they both have cardnality 2c

But when the word "continuous" is inserted, how can I find its cardnality?

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If f is a continuous function and you know the value of f(q) for all rational q, do you know the value of f for any real value?

4. Apr 29, 2008 #3
    I think it would be hard to tell specifically. Since f is continuous, the values can't go too far, but there is still a wide possible range. Another thing is that we may not know the value of f(q) for q rational

5. Apr 29, 2008 #4
    Also,
    since |{functions from R to R}|=2c,
    I think that |{continuous functions from R to R}|<2c.
    This narrows down the possible answers, but I still don't know how to get the cardnality exactly.

6. Apr 29, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That was a rhetorical question. Let me put it this way, if you know the value of f for all rationals, then you know the value of f for all reals. Why do I believe this? That means while a general functions have cardinality c^c the cardinality of continuous functions may be less. Is it?

7. Apr 29, 2008 #6
    Sorry, I am lost for two reasons...

The question asks for the cardnality of the set of continuous functions from R to R, so shouldn't we not be assuming any further detail. It didn't say that the value of f for all rationals are known. But perhaps I am misunderstanding the question...

Also, why is the answer c^c? I haven't encountered the cardinal number c^c so I don't know what it means. Shoudn't the answer be less than or equal to 2^c?

8. Apr 29, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

c^c=2^c. Wasn't that what you showed in the first part? What I'm saying is that continuous functions are DETERMINED by their values on the rationals Q. Q is countable.

9. Apr 29, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?