Career advice for a Chemical Engineer graduating in 2016?

In summary: Brandon, this is a great question! After getting a degree in Chemical Engineering, it is definitely difficult to find a job in the Environmental Engineering field. However, if you want to look into finding a job in this field, you should look into any large water or waste-water utility. They usually have environmental engineers, and if you have a good GPA and are interested in this field, you should not have a problem finding a job. Another option is to look into process engineering for water or waste-water plants, SCADA, Plant Operations, watershed management, and the like. The opportunities are out there, and if you are interested in this field, I suggest joining the American Water-Works Association and/or Water Environment Federation.
Brandon L
Hi all, my name is Brandon and I'm new to these forums

I'm going into my 5th year at university and am majoring in Chemical Engineering. From my understanding, those who choose to go into industry after graduating are usually in process, petroleum, etc.

However, I am rather more interested in Environmental Engineering, as topics such as wastewater and air quality intrigue me more than what I've learned thus far(I've taken Thermo, Fluid Mechanics, Materials, Heat Transfer, Process, etc.) Unfortunately, my school(UCSB) didn't offer environmental engineering as a choice, and even then I'd be rather stuck since it's my last year with me just taking my senior design classes pretty much.

Is it difficult to find jobs in the environmental engineering field after college with a chemical engineering degree? If not, what would you all recommend I do? Thank you all for your advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's an ABET accredited program, so if you do a nation wide job search and have a good GPA, I would not expect a problem.

A mediocre GPA and/or a geographically constrained job search always make it much harder.

Brandon L said:
Hi all, my name is Brandon and I'm new to these forums

I'm going into my 5th year at university and am majoring in Chemical Engineering. From my understanding, those who choose to go into industry after graduating are usually in process, petroleum, etc.

However, I am rather more interested in Environmental Engineering, as topics such as wastewater and air quality intrigue me more than what I've learned thus far(I've taken Thermo, Fluid Mechanics, Materials, Heat Transfer, Process, etc.) Unfortunately, my school(UCSB) didn't offer environmental engineering as a choice, and even then I'd be rather stuck since it's my last year with me just taking my senior design classes pretty much.

Is it difficult to find jobs in the environmental engineering field after college with a chemical engineering degree? If not, what would you all recommend I do? Thank you all for your advice.

Look at any large water/waste-water utility. They have environmental engineers. The studies and interests you have would be almost ideal for many jobs in larger utilities.
In my own biased view of the world (I have been working at the same water/waste-water utility for nearly 30 years), you would do well on process engineering for water or waste-water plants, SCADA, Plant Operations, watershed management, and the like.

The opportunities are out there. For more information, I suggest joining the American Water-Works Association and/or Water Environment Federation. They have student memberships. Through the events they host you can make many contacts in industry.

Just a word of caution: what we don't make in large salaries, we typically get with good job benefits, employment stability, and very little overnight travel. If you're interested in exciting times traveling, and making piles of money, you might want to reconsider the petrochemical industry...

I think you have a bright future ahead of you. Good Luck!

Do an MSc specialized in exactly what you are interested in. Look nationwide, or international in countries you want to live for a couple of years, for the best program.

In my country we score consistently no.2 in other people's ranking on water quality (as they place themselves no.1). My school is specialized in this subject as well.

If you want to look for a similar program, go ahead. But chemical technology is the right generic bachelor for this program, though specialsed bachelors are offered in this field as well.

If not, you can of course apply for jobs, of course. If you don't get hired in the right industry immediatately, you can always try again later, as you don't have the wrong degree.

1. What job opportunities are available for a chemical engineer in 2016?

Chemical engineers have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, energy, food and beverage, and environmental engineering. Some specific job titles may include process engineer, research and development engineer, quality control engineer, and project manager.

2. What skills are important for a chemical engineer to have in order to have a successful career?

Some key skills for a successful career as a chemical engineer include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Additionally, communication and project management skills are also important for effectively collaborating with colleagues and overseeing projects.

3. How can I gain experience in the field of chemical engineering before graduating?

Internships and co-op programs are great ways to gain hands-on experience in the field of chemical engineering before graduating. These opportunities allow you to apply your classroom knowledge to real-world projects and also network with professionals in the industry.

4. How important is networking in finding a job as a chemical engineer?

Networking is crucial in finding a job as a chemical engineer. Building relationships with professionals in the industry can provide valuable insights and connections to potential job opportunities. Attend career fairs, join professional organizations, and utilize online networking platforms to expand your network.

5. Is it necessary to have a graduate degree in chemical engineering for career advancement?

While a graduate degree in chemical engineering can open up opportunities for career advancement, it is not always necessary. Many chemical engineers have successful careers with just a bachelor's degree. However, some industries may require a graduate degree for certain positions, so it is important to research the specific requirements for your desired career path.