Career Advice for IT Support Technician

In summary: What activities do you enjoy? What do you like reading about? What causes you to miss your bus stop (or the equivalent) because you are involved in reading about it?I like reading about technology, politics, and business. I also like going to the library and reading magazines. I usually miss my bus stop because I'm reading about something I'm interested in. It seems like reading and being interested in things is one of the things that keeps you motivated. It seems like you also have a lot of free time. That's a good thing.What subjects are you sufficiently interested in, in order to be sufficiently motivated, to make a jump to a new career at age 37?
Craig Dunn
Hi All,

I am after some career advice? I`m 37 and have been working in IT Support since I left uni. For the past year or so iv not enjoyed my job (I think a lot of it has to do with where I am working) but, i`m at the point where I just no longer want to work in IT.

I have been thinking of careers and possibly changing careers, there are plenty of things i`d like to do however I still feel I need to be realistic I still have bills, and a wife to keep in shoes, so becoming an astronaut isn't really feasible.

so, I have been looking at roles which have connections with IT, first thing which came to my head was Telecoms, looking around it seems most in demand are Mitel and Avaya skills both look achievable to get qualifications in however many say proven experience needed. Does anyone have any experience in this field and could offer any advice? or have any suggestions for other possible career paths.

Many Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Turn it around in the other direction.

You are looking at this from the point of view of what is in demand. It seems like you did that once, and now you just don't like your job.

What activities do you enjoy? What do you like reading about? What causes you to miss your bus stop (or the equivalent) because you are involved in reading about it?

What subjects are you sufficiently interested in, in order to be sufficiently motivated, to make a jump to a new career at age 37?

IT is a very large subject. Everything from LAN support to developing new AI software. Snoop around various places where people do stuff that is in some way related to what you already know. I'm guessing you don't want to switch completely away from IT.

Think fresh. What do you know about developing software? Or database? Or what do you know about expert systems? Or any of two dozen other subjects that come under the heading IT. Find one or two that you find interesting.

Then Google up companies that do that. Then send them job applications.

Also, don't forget you might be able to move sideways in the company you are already working for. You might make your situation better without giving up your seniority.

Likes analogdesign and Craig Dunn
I'd like to agree with DEvens and ask you to consider what it really is you dislike about your job. Are you fired up about technology and just can't stand the politics and BS at your current job? I can tell you that I had a true waking nightmare of a job that made me really consider leaving engineering. Lucky for me I got laid off and then after kicking around for a while I am now in a job that makes me jump out of bed to get to work. The funny thing is I'm doing pretty much exactly the same thing, but the management, mission, and pressure level makes all the difference.

My point is to look into yourself and if the issue is your job and not the field you're probably a lot better off just getting a new job. If you're near a big city there are most likely a lot of opportunities about.

Likes atyy
Craig Dunn said:
Hi All,

I am after some career advice? I`m 37 and have been working in IT Support since I left uni. For the past year or so iv not enjoyed my job (I think a lot of it has to do with where I am working) but, i`m at the point where I just no longer want to work in IT.

This is a very natural reaction to have. One is not enjoying oneself, one has the feeling that it's the job, another job might be different, but what if the same thing happens in the other job, what then? I will have committed to this new job and still I'm having this same malaise. I need something new.

It's natural because we are naturally risk-averse, we stick to one thing until it becomes unbearable and then it feels like a moderate change won't be enough for it to be better.

"This hasn't worked, I must do something new." It's also because we don't want to face the possibility of failing a second time. If I do something new and fail, that can be excused, but to change to a similar situation and have the same feelings...

I don't think you would have the same feelings. I certainly think the right thing is to try another IT support job first; with your background you will have the pick of those jobs. You can make it sufficiently different so that you have good reasons to think it'll be better. Especially if you are on the phone most of the day, find a job where you move around much more or can be mobile, with a pager or intercom. Or have underlings that you can delegate to, etc.

I'm sure there is something better in IT support. Surely it's not too late to give it another go.

Likes Craig Dunn

Related to Career Advice for IT Support Technician

What is the typical education and training required for an IT Support Technician career?

The typical education for an IT Support Technician career is a bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field. However, some employers may accept candidates with an associate's degree or relevant certifications. In addition to education, on-the-job training is also important for developing the necessary technical skills.

What skills are important for a successful IT Support Technician?

Some important skills for a successful IT Support Technician include strong problem-solving abilities, excellent communication skills, technical knowledge and expertise, and customer service skills. It is also important to be detail-oriented, organized, and able to work well under pressure.

What are some common career paths for IT Support Technicians?

Some common career paths for IT Support Technicians include moving up to a higher level support role, such as a network or systems administrator, transitioning into a technical sales or consulting role, or moving into a management position. Some IT Support Technicians may also choose to specialize in a specific area, such as cybersecurity or cloud computing.

How important is certification for an IT Support Technician career?

Certifications can be valuable for an IT Support Technician career, as they demonstrate a certain level of expertise and knowledge in a specific technology or platform. Some common certifications for IT Support Technicians include CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+ certifications, as well as certifications from major technology vendors like Microsoft or Cisco.

What are some tips for advancing in an IT Support Technician career?

Some tips for advancing in an IT Support Technician career include continuously learning and staying up-to-date with new technologies, networking with other professionals in the field, and seeking out opportunities for additional training and certifications. It is also important to communicate your career goals to your employer and seek out opportunities for advancement within your current company or through job opportunities at other organizations.