1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career Advice for IT Support Technician

1. Aug 18, 2015 #1
    Hi All,

I am after some career advice? I`m 37 and have been working in IT Support since I left uni. For the past year or so iv not enjoyed my job (I think alot of it has to do with where im working) but, i`m at the point where I just no longer want to work in IT.

I have been thinking of careers and possibly changing careers, there are plenty of things i`d like to do however I still feel I need to be realistic I still have bills, and a wife to keep in shoes, so becoming an astronaut isn't really feasible.

so, I have been looking at roles which have connections with IT, first thing which came to my head was Telecoms, looking around it seems most in demand are Mitel and Avaya skills both look achievable to get qualifications in however many say proven experience needed. Does anyone have any experience in this field and could offer any advice? or have any suggestions for other possible career paths.

Many Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Turn it around in the other direction.

You are looking at this from the point of view of what is in demand. It seems like you did that once, and now you just don't like your job.

What activities do you enjoy? What do you like reading about? What causes you to miss your bus stop (or the equivalent) because you are involved in reading about it?

What subjects are you sufficiently interested in, in order to be sufficiently motivated, to make a jump to a new career at age 37?

IT is a very large subject. Everything from LAN support to developing new AI software. Snoop around various places where people do stuff that is in some way related to what you already know. I'm guessing you don't want to switch completely away from IT.

Think fresh. What do you know about developing software? Or database? Or what do you know about expert systems? Or any of two dozen other subjects that come under the heading IT. Find one or two that you find interesting.

Then Google up companies that do that. Then send them job applications.

Also, don't forget you might be able to move sideways in the company you are already working for. You might make your situation better without giving up your seniority.

4. Aug 18, 2015 #3

analogdesign

Science Advisor

I'd like to agree with DEvens and ask you to consider what it really is you dislike about your job. Are you fired up about technology and just can't stand the politics and BS at your current job? I can tell you that I had a true waking nightmare of a job that made me really consider leaving engineering. Lucky for me I got laid off and then after kicking around for a while I am now in a job that makes me jump out of bed to get to work. The funny thing is I'm doing pretty much exactly the same thing, but the management, mission, and pressure level makes all the difference.

My point is to look into yourself and if the issue is your job and not the field you're probably a lot better off just getting a new job. If you're near a big city there are most likely a lot of opportunities about.

5. Aug 18, 2015 #4

verty

Homework Helper

This is a very natural reaction to have. One is not enjoying oneself, one has the feeling that it's the job, another job might be different, but what if the same thing happens in the other job, what then? I will have committed to this new job and still I'm having this same malaise. I need something new.

It's natural because we are naturally risk-averse, we stick to one thing until it becomes unbearable and then it feels like a moderate change won't be enough for it to be better.

"This hasn't worked, I must do something new." It's also because we don't want to face the possibility of failing a second time. If I do something new and fail, that can be excused, but to change to a similar situation and have the same feelings...

I don't think you would have the same feelings. I certainly think the right thing is to try another IT support job first; with your background you will have the pick of those jobs. You can make it sufficiently different so that you have good reasons to think it'll be better. Especially if you are on the phone most of the day, find a job where you move around much more or can be mobile, with a pager or intercom. Or have underlings that you can delegate to, etc.

I'm sure there is something better in IT support. Surely it's not too late to give it another go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook