Career in Physics(limited money) help

In summary, if you only have a B.Sc. in physics, you may struggle to find a career in the field. However, if you get a Master's degree, you'll be able to continue your education and eventually get a Ph.D.
Fast77
Hi and thank you for reading this,

I live in Canada and will soon be going for my last year in high school, and I really want to pursue a career in physics, I've wanted this for a long time(5 years). Physics just intrigues me, and I'm quite good at it, but my family's income isn't that great. They can possibly afford to pay for my undergraduate, but probably nothing higher. Is there any career opportunities if I only do undergraduates? And lastly will i be able to pay off loans for graduate and doctorate degree if i decided to go that route to become a researcher/physicist?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should not have to pay for graduate education towards a Ph.D. in physics. If you get into grad school successfully, they will normally cover your tuition and give you a stipend that will be enough for basic living expenses as long as you are making satisfactory progress towards your degree. This is the case in the US and I'm pretty sure also in Canada. You will "earn" that money by some combination of teaching (usually undergraduate laboratory classes) and assisting with your professors' research.

Thanks for the reply, just to clarify something, they give you a stipend for Masters and Ph.D? And is this always the case?

In the US, if you're aiming for a Ph.D. you don't normally do a separate Master's program. In effect, the Ph.D. program combines both degrees, and you can pick up a Master's along the way after you finish a certain amount of coursework. You get funded all the way through.

In Canada I think it's more common to do the Master's and Ph.D. as separate programs. (Or maybe I'm thinking of Europe?) In any event, you still get funding all the way through, but the details are different. We have people from Canada posting here, so one of them will probably verify this for us.

Likes 1 person
Yes that's correct. In Canada, it's common to receive full support for both the master's and PhD programs. And generally speaking you enroll in the master's degree first, then either complete it and proceed to the PhD, or jump directly into the PhD after about a year or so, with your supervisory committee's approval.

For what it's worth, there aren't that many opportunities IN PHYSICS with only a bachelor's degree in physics. It seems common that BSc graduates struggle a little to market themselves in the non-academic world, although most end up doing alright career-wise. You might want to look up the statistics on these things kept by the AIP or APS.

Likes 1 person
Thanks to you both, thrilled to hear that I'll have support in my Ph.D journey.

1. What job opportunities are available for physicists with limited financial resources?

There are a variety of job opportunities available for physicists with limited financial resources. These include research positions in government or academic institutions, teaching positions at schools or community colleges, and positions in the private sector such as data analysis or consulting. Many of these positions offer competitive salaries and benefits, and some may also offer opportunities for advancement and professional development.

2. Is a career in physics financially stable?

While salaries for physicists may not be as high as those in other fields such as finance or business, a career in physics can still be financially stable. With a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, physicists are highly sought after in a variety of industries and can often secure well-paying positions.

3. How can I pursue a career in physics without a lot of money for education?

There are ways to pursue a career in physics without a lot of money for education. Many universities and colleges offer scholarships, grants, and financial aid for students pursuing degrees in physics. Additionally, there are online resources and open courseware available for self-study and learning. It is also possible to gain experience through internships and research opportunities, which can help make you a more competitive candidate for job opportunities.

4. Are there any affordable options for graduate school in physics?

Yes, there are affordable options for graduate school in physics. Many universities offer assistantships and fellowships to help cover the cost of tuition and provide a stipend for living expenses. Some universities also have programs specifically designed for students with limited financial resources, such as tuition waivers or reduced tuition rates.

5. What steps can I take to secure a successful career in physics with limited financial resources?

To secure a successful career in physics with limited financial resources, it is important to take advantage of opportunities for financial aid and scholarships, gain practical experience through internships and research opportunities, and network with professionals in the field. It may also be helpful to consider pursuing a graduate degree, as this can open up more job opportunities and potentially lead to higher salaries in the long run.