Cases when Ampere's circuital law fails to hold

In summary, Ampere's law, as extended by Maxwell, states that the curl of the magnetic field is equal to the sum of the current density and the rate of change of electric displacement. It can be written in differential form or integral form, depending on the situation. However, the integral form requires a closed area with a contour bounding it. When the symmetry is broken, as in the case of a finite length wire, the integral form cannot be simplified and the symmetry is only an approximation. This is due to the presence of displacement current, which is necessary for the complete Maxwell equations governing electromagnetism.
gumthakka
Well, I guess that is pretty much my question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ampere's law is written as
[tex]H=\frac{I}{2\pi r}[/tex]
for infinite length current. Another form
[tex]\int_{\partial S} \mathbf{H}\cdot\mathbf{dl}=I[/tex]
applies for any current, including closed loop current.

Likes Delta2
Ampere's law (as extended by Maxwell)) is, in differential form,$$\vec\nabla\times \vec H=\vec J+\frac{\partial \vec D}{\partial t}.$$It always holds and the difference from case to case is in how you apply it. Specifically, if you want to transform the law into integral form, you will need a closed area ##S## with a contour ##C## bounding it. Then you can use Stokes' theorem to write the left hand side as $$\int_S (\vec\nabla \times \vec H)\cdot\hat n~ dA=\oint_C \vec H \cdot d\vec l.$$Whether you can do the line integral over the closed loop analytically depends on the symmetry of the situation; the validity of the law is independent of that.

Likes Delta2, jasonRF, radium and 1 other person
Ampere's law always holds BUT if your wire is not of infinite length then there has to be a circuit to complete the current loop. Those extra conductors will contribute to the B field the same way the wire does that you're integrating around, spoiling the symmetry. But ## \oint \bf H \cdot \bf dl = I ## always.

Likes Delta2
The symmetry is broken when the wire is of finite length. Due to broken symmetry, the magnetic field will not be the same along the closed amperian loop on which we perform integration, so ampere's law integral can't be simplified to ##B\cdot 2\pi r=\mu_0 I##. But it always hold that ##\oint _{\partial S} \mathbf{B}\cdot \mathbf{dl}=\mu_0\left (I+ \epsilon_0\int\int_S \frac{\partial \mathbf{E}}{\partial t}\cdot\hat n dS\right )## for any closed surface ##S## with boundary the loop ##\partial S##.
It is just that $$\oint \mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{dl}\neq \mathbf{B}\cdot 2\pi r$$ when the (cylindrical) symmetry is broken.

rude man said:
Ampere's law always holds BUT if your wire is not of infinite length then there has to be a circuit to complete the current loop. Those extra conductors will contribute to the B field the same way the wire does that you're integrating around, spoiling the symmetry. But ## \oint \bf H \cdot \bf dl = I ## always.
Of course this is not correct. The full Maxwell equation reads
$$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{H} -\frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{D} = \frac{1}{c} \vec{j}_{\text{f}}.$$
There's the so-called "displacement current", i.e., the 2nd term on the left-hand side of the equation which invalidates the Ampere law, which does not have this very important term, which is what makes the Maxwell equations the complete laws governing all electromagnetism rather than Ampere's predecessor theory.

Delta2 said:
The symmetry is broken when the wire is of finite length. Due to broken symmetry, the magnetic field will not be the same along the closed amperian loop on which we perform integration, so ampere's law integral can't be simplified to ##B\cdot 2\pi r=\mu_0 I##. But it always hold that ##\oint _{\partial S} \mathbf{B}\cdot \mathbf{dl}=\mu_0\left (I+ \epsilon_0\int\int_S \frac{\partial \mathbf{E}}{\partial t}\cdot\hat n dS\right )## for any closed surface ##S## with boundary the loop ##\partial S##.
It is just that $$\oint \mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{dl}\neq \mathbf{B}\cdot 2\pi r$$ when the (cylindrical) symmetry is broken.
We should not forget that the "unbroken" symmetry in the infinite wire is only an approximation motivated by one's desire to apply Ampere's law and get the answer ##B=\dfrac{\mu_0I}{2\pi r}.~## A current requires a closed loop, else there will be violation of charge conservation. For a loop where ##a## is a linear parameter determining the size of the loop, the approximation is valid close to the wire where ##r<<a.##

1. What is Ampere's circuital law?

Ampere's circuital law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between the magnetic field and the electric current in a closed loop. It states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the product of the current passing through the loop and the permeability of free space.

2. Under what conditions does Ampere's circuital law fail to hold?

Ampere's circuital law may fail to hold in certain cases, such as when there is a time-varying electric field or when the medium surrounding the current-carrying conductor is not homogeneous or isotropic.

3. Can you provide an example of when Ampere's circuital law fails to hold?

An example of when Ampere's circuital law fails to hold is when there is a changing electric field, such as in the case of a capacitor being charged or discharged. In this case, the changing electric field creates a displacement current, which contributes to the magnetic field and violates the assumption of a steady current in Ampere's circuital law.

4. How is Ampere's circuital law modified to account for these cases?

In cases where Ampere's circuital law fails to hold, it is modified to include the displacement current term. This modified version is known as Maxwell's circuital law and is one of the four Maxwell's equations that describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

5. Why is it important to understand when Ampere's circuital law fails to hold?

Understanding when Ampere's circuital law fails to hold is important because it allows us to accurately model and predict the behavior of electromagnetic fields in more complex situations. It also led to the development of Maxwell's equations, which have been crucial in advancing our understanding and application of electromagnetism in various fields such as telecommunications, electronics, and power generation.