Category Theory: Intro Texts & Recommended Books

In summary, the recommended books for learning category theory are "Basic Category Theory for Computer Scientists" by Benjamin C.Pierce and "Categories for the Working Mathematician" by Saunders MacLane.
ForMyThunder
I'm looking to start studying Category Theory. What books would you recommend for these? I can't seem to find an introductory book on categories. What is the standard text for such a thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
I read a book titled "Basic Category Theory for Computer Scientists" by Benjamin C.Pierce a few months ago. It is fairly short and straightforward and doesn't require a lot of background knowledge.

The standard book is Categories for the Working Mathematician by Saunders MacLane--one of the pioneers of the subject.

The usual reference is "Categories for the working mathematician" by MacLane. I suggest you read this, but I'll give some other references. Check them out and pick what you like best:

"Arrows, Structures and Functors: a categorical imperative" by Arbib is a good book if you're not very familiar to mathematical structures. MacLanes book already assumes that you're familier to a lot of things (like abstract algebra, topology,...). If you're not, then this book is better

"Abstract and concrete categories" by Adamek, Herrlich, Strecker is the very best book on categories! Furthermore, it is freely available on the website katmat.math.uni-bremen.de/acc/acc.pdf The book provides a lot of theory, and a massive amount of examples (the examples are really important for somebody studying categories!). However, I would consider the book more of a reference text than a textbook. But I really suggest reading this book together with MacLane!

Thanks so much for the material micromass! I've been very interested in Category theory recently as well. :D

when i was a kid the standards were those by peter freyd and by barry mitchell.

mathwonk said:
when i was a kid the standards were those by peter freyd and by barry mitchell.

Aren't these more for abelian categories? Or did they write stuff on general categories too, I may want to check those out!

I just think about it now, but they're is a great video lecture series on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCatsters

I don't say that it's a substitute for a textbook, but the explanations are very clear! Definitely worth a look! Furthermore, the initiative comes from a university which is well-known for it's categories, so it's certainly good material...

1. What is Category Theory?

Category Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of mathematical structures called categories. It provides a framework for understanding and organizing mathematical concepts and structures, and has applications in various fields such as computer science, physics, and linguistics.

2. What are some recommended introductory texts for learning Category Theory?

Some popular introductory texts for learning Category Theory include "Category Theory in Context" by Emily Riehl, "Category Theory for the Sciences" by David I. Spivak, and "Basic Category Theory" by Tom Leinster. These books provide a solid foundation in the basic concepts and techniques of Category Theory.

3. How is Category Theory different from other branches of mathematics?

Category Theory is a highly abstract branch of mathematics that is focused on the structure and relationships between mathematical objects, rather than on the objects themselves. It also places a strong emphasis on universal properties and the use of diagrams and categorical language to describe and reason about mathematical concepts.

4. What are some practical applications of Category Theory?

Category Theory has a wide range of applications in various fields such as computer science, physics, and linguistics. It is used to study and understand complex systems, develop new algorithms and data structures, and provide a unified framework for organizing and analyzing data. It also has applications in functional programming, database design, and natural language processing.

5. Are there any prerequisites for learning Category Theory?

While it is beneficial to have a strong foundation in abstract algebra and mathematical logic, there are no strict prerequisites for learning Category Theory. It is a highly abstract and conceptual branch of mathematics, so having a good understanding of mathematical thinking and problem-solving is important. Some familiarity with basic set theory and logic is also helpful.