The Cat's Perspective: Can Macroscopic Bodies Be in Superposition?

In summary: Summary: Flaws in the line of reasoning about Schrödinger's Cat and macroscopic superposition are identified, including different interpretations of quantum mechanics and the concept of multiple realities.
bhanum
TL;DR Summary
Schrondinger's Cat experiment with a different point of view
Hi,

In the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment, we say that the cat is in a superposition of states of being either dead or alive. But isn't that opinion biased from being outside of the system? From the cat's point of view, it is either dead or alive but never both.

The same argument can be applied to macroscopic bodies as well. Before you enter a house, you can't say whether it is furnished or not. By the line of reasoning in the thought experiment, you could conclude that the house is in a superposition of states of being both furnished and unfurnished at the same time, but from the house's point of view, it is either furnished or unfurnished.

Can someone please let me know of a flaw in this line of reasoning?

Thanks,
Bhanu

Physics news on Phys.org
bhanum said:
In the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment, we say that the cat is in a superposition of states of being either dead or alive.
I don't know who that "we" is that you speak of (probably pop-science articles) but serious physiscists know that the cat is either alive or dead. The whole POINT that Schrödinger was making was/is that it's silly to think of the cat as being both alive and dead.

Likes rude man
bhanum said:
Summary: Schrondinger's Cat experiment with a different point of view

Hi,

In the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment, we say that the cat is in a superposition of states of being either dead or alive. But isn't that opinion biased from being outside of the system? From the cat's point of view, it is either dead or alive but never both.

The same argument can be applied to macroscopic bodies as well. Before you enter a house, you can't say whether it is furnished or not. By the line of reasoning in the thought experiment, you could conclude that the house is in a superposition of states of being both furnished and unfurnished at the same time, but from the house's point of view, it is either furnished or unfurnished.

Can someone please let me know of a flaw in this line of reasoning?

Thanks,
Bhanu
@phinds is correct.

Your reasoning is correct about macroscopic superposition.
According to QT, in this case it is not the cat that is or is not in a superposition - it is our information about the cat.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and bhanum
bhanum said:
From the cat's point of view, it is either dead or alive but never both.

This is interpretation dependent. According to the Many Worlds interpretation, the cat is both dead and alive; both the "cat dead" and the "cat alive" branches of the wave function exist. So on the MWI, "the cat's point of view" is more complicated than what you are implicitly assuming.

phinds said:
The whole POINT that Schrödinger was making was/is that it's silly to think of the cat as being both alive and dead.

Yes, but not everyone agrees that Schrodinger was correct.

Mentz114 said:
Your reasoning is correct about macroscopic superposition.

Not if the MWI is correct; the MWI assumes that macroscopic superpositions can in fact occur.

Mentz114 said:
According to QT, in this case it is not the cat that is or is not in a superposition - it is our information about the cat.

On QM interpretations in which the wave function is not real, but only describes our information about the system, yes, this is true. But not all QM interpretations are of this type.

PeterDonis said:
Not if the MWI is correct; the MWI assumes that macroscopic superpositions can in fact occur.On QM interpretations in which the wave function is not real, but only describes our information about the system, yes, this is true. But not all QM interpretations are of this type.
Totally agree. But surely any interpretation that has a cat that is dead AND alive is obviously incorrect. Two different cats, perhaps ?

Mentz114 said:
surely any interpretation that has a cat that is dead AND alive is obviously incorrect.

No, since the MWI can be interpreted to be saying that. See below.

Mentz114 said:
Two different cats, perhaps ?

It depends on what you mean by "different cats". The MWI says there is a branch of the wave function in which the cat is dead, and another branch in which it is alive, and both branches are real. Whether that counts as two different cats, or two copies of the same cat, or something else entirely for which we don't have good ordinary language words, is a matter of choice of words, not physics. The physics according to the MWI is simply that all branches of the wave function are real, and that's it.

Macroscopic superpositions are part of the usual quantum mechanics also. It is required for the consistency of the uncertainty relations. For instance, in a slit experiment, if we arrange a situation where we measure the momentum exchanged between the diaphragm and the particle, then the diaphragm whose momentum we measure is subject to the uncertainty relation, and has a position uncertainty ~ h/Δp. Thus a macroscopic object, the diaphragm, is in a superposition. The fact that the uncertainty relation applies to the diaphragm implies that the uncertainty in the position of the slits destroys the interference effects exactly the amount needed to protect the uncertainty relations.

PrashantGokaraju said:
a macroscopic object, the diaphragm, is in a superposition.

This concept of "superposition" is basis dependent, and is not what we are talking about in the Schrodinger's cat thought experiment. The diaphragm is in a superposition of position states, but is not in a superposition of momentum states (because we just measured its momentum). And it's not entangled with anything, so there are no "multiple worlds" in the sense of the MWI. (Note that in the experiment you describe, there will be no interference.)

In the Schrodinger's cat thought experiment, the state of the cat is entangled with the state of the radioactive atom that decays inside the box, so the system of atom + cat as a whole is in a superposition of "atom decayed + cat dead" and "atom not decayed + cat alive". This kind of superposition is not basis dependent, and it is the kind that gives rise to multiple "worlds" in the MWI.

PeterDonis said:
It depends on what you mean by "different cats".
I knew you would say that. This topic (MWI) always becomes a discussion about what words mean.

I understand what you've said but I'll duck trying to answer.

Mentz114 said:
This topic (MWI) always becomes a discussion about what words mean.

Yes, because the ontology of the world according to the MWI is so different from our intuitive one that it becomes almost impossible to use ordinary words with their ordinary meanings.

Likes Mentz114
phinds said:
I don't know who that "we" is that you speak of (probably pop-science articles) but serious physiscists know that the cat is either alive or dead. The whole POINT that Schrödinger was making was/is that it's silly to think of the cat as being both alive and dead.

Hi phinds,

I am not a physicist by profession. But I do have an active interest in topics within this domain.

Could you please point me to some resources where I can learn where Schrodinger made the POINT that it's silly to think of the cat as being both alive and dead?

Thanks,
Bhanu

PrashantGokaraju said:
Macroscopic superpositions are part of the usual quantum mechanics also. It is required for the consistency of the uncertainty relations. For instance, in a slit experiment, if we arrange a situation where we measure the momentum exchanged between the diaphragm and the particle, then the diaphragm whose momentum we measure is subject to the uncertainty relation, and has a position uncertainty ~ h/Δp. Thus a macroscopic object, the diaphragm, is in a superposition. The fact that the uncertainty relation applies to the diaphragm implies that the uncertainty in the position of the slits destroys the interference effects exactly the amount needed to protect the uncertainty relations.
Hi Prashant,

Could you please guide me to some material that explains better what you are talking about here?

Thanks,
Bhanu

bhanum said:
Hi phinds,

I am not a physicist by profession. But I do have an active interest in topics within this domain.

Could you please point me to some resources where I can learn where Schrodinger made the POINT that it's silly to think of the cat as being both alive and dead?

Thanks,
Bhanu
I don't have a citation for source material. You can find it pointed out in numerous posts here on PF. I realize that's not a citation, but it's been posted by several people who definitely know what they're talking about.

PeterDonis said:
No, since the MWI can be interpreted to be saying that. See below.
It depends on what you mean by "different cats". The MWI says there is a branch of the wave function in which the cat is dead, and another branch in which it is alive, and both branches are real. Whether that counts as two different cats, or two copies of the same cat, or something else entirely for which we don't have good ordinary language words, is a matter of choice of words, not physics. The physics according to the MWI is simply that all branches of the wave function are real, and that's it.
Hi Peter,

How can this be a choice of words? There either are alternate realities or there are not. But every quantum event generating a reality of it's own is a little bit too much to fathom. Is this interpretation in line with the Many Worlds Interpretation?

Thanks,
Bhanu

bhanum said:
There either are alternate realities or there are not.

"Alternate realities" is not a good description of what the MWI says. The MWI says that there is only one reality: the wave function. This reality is nothing like what we perceive, but that doesn't mean it isn't just one reality.

bhanum said:
every quantum event generating a reality of it's own

I don't know what you mean by this.

bhanum said:
Is this interpretation in line with the Many Worlds Interpretation?

What interpretation are you talking about? Can you give a reference?

bhanum said:
Hi Peter,

How can this be a choice of words? There either are alternate realities or there are not. But every quantum event generating a reality of it's own is a little bit too much to fathom. Is this interpretation in line with the Many Worlds Interpretation?

Thanks,
Bhanu
Speaking from experience of being wrong on quantum mechanics cosmology black holes and other subjects I suggest you check out the history of this. Wiki is usually ok at this, then get into the maths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

• Informative
Likes bhanum
PeterDonis said:
"Alternate realities" is not a good description of what the MWI says. The MWI says that there is only one reality: the wave function. This reality is nothing like what we perceive, but that doesn't mean it isn't just one reality.

I don't know what you mean by this.

What interpretation are you talking about? Can you give a reference?

Yes, the one reality could be that there are an infinite number of universes. Its just that it is too hard to get my head around it.

To quote from Wikipedia:

The many-worlds interpretation is an interpretation of quantum mechanics that asserts the objective reality of the universal wavefunction and denies the actuality of wavefunction collapse. The existence of the other worlds makes it possible to remove randomness and action at a distance from quantum theory and thus from all physics. Many-worlds implies that all possible alternate histories and futures are real, each representing an actual "world" (or "universe"). In layman's terms, the hypothesis states there is a very large—perhaps infinite[2]—number of universes, and everything that could possibly have happened in our past, but did not, has occurred in the past of some other universe or universes. The theory is also referred to as MWI, the relative state formulation, the Everett interpretation, the theory of the universal wavefunction, many-universes interpretation, multiverse theory or just many-worlds.

That being said, when I said "every quantum event generating a reality of it's own", my understanding, is that there is a universe where all possible outcomes of an event occur. Thus, in this universe, I have started a thread on PF, but in another, I have not.

Is this reasoning correct?

Thanks

Likes Michael Price
bhanum said:
the one reality could be that there are an infinite number of universes

Yes, if you define "universes" as "particular branches of the universal wave function". But nothing in the physics, if the MWI is true, picks out that definition.

bhanum said:
all possible outcomes of an event occur

Yes, if you define "outcome" as "one particular branch of the wave function". But again, nothing in the physics, if the MWI is true, picks out that definition.

bhanum said:
The cat came from a paper published in 1935. Schrödinger wrote it in German, but if you google for “Schrodinger the present situation in quantum mechanics” you will find several English-language translations. (“The present situation in quantum mechanics” is a translation of the original German title).

One translation is here: http://materias.df.uba.ar/f4Aa2012c2/files/2012/08/Schrod_cat.pdf

Likes Dr Wu, Michael Price and bhanum
Suppose that you prepare a system of three particles and calculate its wave function far into the future. It is a very nontrivial question what in that setup constitutes a "branch" of the Many Worlds interpretation. The wave function explores all paths and interferes with itself. The hardness of defining a "branch" is a weakness of Many Worlds.

I, as a conscious subject, feel that I live in a certain "branch" of the Many Worlds. What is included in that "branch" of the wave function is not clear. The other branches continue to exist - their interference affects what I will observe in the future in my own branch.

The idea of decoherence says that we can calculate the behavior of macroscopic objects almost classically in different branches. I as a subject feel that I am such a "calculation branch" of a macroscopic object. But what exactly is included in my "calculation branch" is not clear.

Heikki Tuuri said:
I, as a conscious subject, feel that I live in a certain "branch" of the Many Worlds.

But there are other branches of "you" as well; when "you" make a measurement that has multiple possible outcomes, each branch of "you" experiences a different outcome.

Heikki Tuuri said:
The other branches continue to exist - their interference affects what I will observe in the future in my own branch.

No, it doesn't. Branches in the MWI are decohered; they don't interfere with each other. If decoherence has not occurred and there is still quantum interference, then there has not been any "branching" according to the MWI.

For example, in the double slit experiment with both slits open, there is no "branching" with respect to which slit the particle goes through. There is only "branching" with respect to where on the detector screen the spot appears indicating the particle's arrival.

The other branches continue to exist. They are not cut off by decoherence because there is always a minuscule probability of interference.

Consider the cat in the box: when it comes out of the box (in one branch) and meows to us experimenters, we tell the cat that it existed in a superposition state in the box. The cat then understands that the other branches did exist even though the cat as a conscious subject felt that it lives in a single branch.

You cannot cut off any branch of the Many Worlds interpretation. All branches must always exist, to reproduce what we actually measure.

The situation as presented reminds me of the Wigner's friend thought experiment.

Likes Heikki Tuuri
Heikki Tuuri said:
The other branches continue to exist.

Of course, that's the definition of the MWI.

Heikki Tuuri said:
They are not cut off by decoherence because there is always a minuscule probability of interference.

I'm not sure what you are referring to here. Experimentally such interference has never been observed.

Heikki Tuuri said:
The cat then understands that the other branches did exist

Did exist before the measurement, sure. But not that they still exist; that is interpretation dependent.

Decoherence doesn't do much, really. Interference is still possible by taking into account all quantum systems involved. Maybe not practically, but in principle.

Likes Heikki Tuuri
I would like to elaborate on the problem in which "branch" of the Many Worlds I am living as a conscious subject.

If we assume that I consist of 100 elementary particles in a box, then there is a continuum of their configurations. Furthermore, these configurations are entangled with other subsystems in the box. Speaking about a "branch" is not very intuitive in such a setup.

David Bohm's model assigns a marker to each elementary particle in the box. These markers then sail on the wave function in a very complex way, not affecting anything in the wave function. They are just markers.

In Bohm's model, I, as a subject, am in a "branch" determined by the markers. It is a very clear model but hard to generalize to relativistic quantum mechanics.

Bohm's model is a Many Worlds model. The physical thing is the wave function and the markers just point out one individual configuration.

However, the fuzziness of the continuum does creep into the Bohm model, too. The branch which it picks interacts very strongly with nearby branches. We may ask again if I, as a subject, am some collection of nearby branches. If so, what branches we should include in the collection?

Heikki Tuuri said:
I would like to elaborate on the problem in which "branch" of the Many Worlds I am living as a conscious subject

There is no such problem. According to the MWI, there is a "you" in all the branches, and none of them have any more claim than the others to be the "real" you. They are all "real" yous.

In other words, if the MWI is true, words like "you" have to be interpreted very carefully, since the actual reality the MWI describes (the wave function) is nothing like what we ordinarily believe we experience. So you can't just help yourself to the usual meaning of "you" if the MWI is true.

Heikki Tuuri said:
If we assume that I consist of 100 elementary particles in a box, then there is a continuum of their configurations. Furthermore, these configurations are entangled with other subsystems in the box. Speaking about a "branch" is not very intuitive in such a setup.

In such a setup there are no "branches" according to the MWI because no measurement is made and no decoherence occurs.

Heikki Tuuri said:
David Bohm's model

Is not the MWI. It's a different interpretation of QM. Which interpretation do you want to talk about? You can't mix them up.

Heikki Tuuri said:
assigns a marker to each elementary particle in the box

No, it assigns a real position to each particle. See below.

Heikki Tuuri said:
Bohm's model is a Many Worlds model

No, it is not. Bohm's model has only a single "world", i.e., measurements only have one outcome. The wave function is real in Bohm's model, but it is not the only thing that is real. The positions of the particles are also real, and since each particle has only one unique position, every measurement has only one unique outcome. The MWI is not like that because particle positions are not real in the MWI; only the wave function is. That makes a big difference.

Heikki Tuuri said:
The branch which it picks

There are no "branches" in Bohm's model. See above.

Bohm's model is an interpretation of the Schrödinger equation and the wave function in it. The full wave function exists in Bohm's model and guides as the "pilot wave" where the markers of the particles move. The markers are the hidden variables of the model. It is not a local hidden variable theory because the wave function explores every corner in the experiment.

If an observer lives inside Bohm's model, there is no wave function collapse at a measurement. All branches exist, but the markers pick the branch which is the "real" one. Thus, it is a Many Worlds model, but the markers elevate one branch over the others. Conscious subjects live in this special branch.

The "real" state of Schrödinger's cat at any moment is the branch picked by the markers. But the other branches exist, too, and affect the final outcome.

In Newtonian mechanics, the state of the markers (= particles) determines the future development of the system uniquely. In Bohm's model, the full wave function is required to calculate the development. The state of the markers does not tell much.

https://arxiv.org/abs/0811.0810

David Deutsch calls it a Many Worlds theory "in denial".

---

An example of how Bohm's theory works: the double slit experiment. The marker for the particle goes only through one slit. But the marker is guided by the wave function which goes through both slits.

We can say that in this case we have two main branches: the particle goes through the slit 1 or the slit 2. The marker picks one of these branches. It is what "really" happened.

Likes Michael Price
andresB said:
The situation as presented reminds me of the Wigner's friend thought experiment.
Hugh Everett, author of the MWI, learned his QM from Wigner's course at Princeton. Wigner's friend turns up in Everett's PhD thesis, before Wigner formally published the idea.

Your looking at the wrong cat.

But first, let's consider a photon in an interferometer.
The easiest interpretation is that that photon travels two paths. If you block one path, it either hits your block or fails to contribute to an interference pattern - potentially with counterfactual results. If you don't block either path, it forms an interference pattern - interacting with its alter-erg. These are not the earmarks of MWI or simply not having enough information about where the photon travels. These are the earmarks of completely non-local photon.

So let me introduce you to my cat. After cleaning up Schroedingers box, I will reuse it - after all, quantum computing research as it is, boxes capable of completely isolating their content from the outside world are in high demand. Once again, atomic decay as it may be, will kill and not kill the cat - and upon opening the box, I will find my cat in one of several states. The most interesting of these possibilities is a cat which has interfered with itself - so perhaps an alive and recently well-fed cat.

So what does this look like from the cats point of view. Well, of course, something like a cat isn't subject to these QM rules - at least not within a cat's lifetime. Ignoring that critical piece of information, my cat should have a memory of events consistent to the evidence I observe. So if I find a well-fed cat, it should report feasting on itself. If this sounds self-contradicting, it's because getting a cat to interfere with itself would require a very long period of isolation during which time the cat would not only die, but become very much uncatlike.

Last edited:
PeterDonis said:
Yes, because the ontology of the world according to the MWI is so different from our intuitive one that it becomes almost impossible to use ordinary words with their ordinary meanings.
And they say us Bohmians are "spooky".

.Scott said:
getting a cat to interfere with itself would require a very long period of isolation during which time the cat would not only die, but become very much uncatlike

I don't think it's possible to "isolate" a cat in this sense. Even if you put the cat inside a magic box that prevented all interactions with the external world, the cat has a huge number of internal degrees of freedom that cannot be precisely tracked. So it basically acts as its own "environment". From the decoherence viewpoint, the cat is constantly decohering itself, so it's not possible for a "live" branch and a "dead" branch of the cat to interfere.

Likes Heikki Tuuri and Michael Price
PeterDonis said:
I don't think it's possible to "isolate" a cat in this sense. Even if you put the cat inside a magic box that prevented all interactions with the external world, the cat has a huge number of internal degrees of freedom that cannot be precisely tracked. So it basically acts as its own "environment". From the decoherence viewpoint, the cat is constantly decohering itself, so it's not possible for a "live" branch and a "dead" branch of the cat to interfere.
There's an obvious issue with being unable to scale something up at all.
Are we sure that it is not possible?

What's the most massive thing that can interfere with itself - and how long would it take for that to happen if it was isolated? Is there a formula for this. Is it degrees of freedom that matter? Can degrees of freedom become part of a single quantum state?

.Scott said:
What's the most massive thing that can interfere with itself

They have done the double slit experiment with buckyballs, but that's on the order of a few hundred degrees of freedom. Bose-Einstein condensates have been produced with larger numbers of atoms in them, and those exhibit quantum coherence properties; but that's still many, many orders of magnitude smaller than a cat.

What's more, those objects are highly homogeneous. A buckyball is 60 carbon atoms, all identical, held together by simple chemical bonds; a Bose-Einstein condensate has to be composed of bosons all of the same species, all condensed into a single simple quantum state. A cat is a huge heterogeneous blob of all kinds of different atoms and molecules, grouped together in a complex hierarchical structure. I'm not sure how you would even be able to define a "coherent" quantum state for something like that.

PeterDonis said:
I'm not sure how you would even be able to define a "coherent" quantum state for something like that.
Okay then, if it is difficult to imagine scaling up, let me scale down.
But I will warn all that this may answer the OPs question at the cost of putting us all in the box.

Let's say that the device that administers the poison to my cat has a time limit of 1 minute. So after a minute, my lucky cat now believes it has survived my diabolical experiment. Certainly, it has at least as much evidence of this as we have for the Big Bang. And, of course, this cat will never see a dead replica of itself - so it will have to survive on whatever rations are provided in the box.

Similarly, we live in a universe that, that by all accounts, was kicked off by some kind of Big Bang. And I do not question the research or analysis that went into this conclusion. I do not doubt that there really was a Big Bang. But for how long will this be factual? As some point, there will be no more Phys 101 courses, no cosmic background radiation (from the early universe), black holes will have grown and fizzled, and there will be no evidence left behind of a Big Bang - at least not any practical evidence.

Then entropy will continue its forward march and slowly, slowly, any means of time keeping will be lost - even in principle. Time and history will be meaningless, and there will be no evidence of the Big Bang - even in principle.

At that point, should someone "open our box", they would be unable to conclude whether there was or was not a Big Bang.

<h2>1. What is superposition in the context of macroscopic bodies?</h2><p>Superposition, in the context of macroscopic bodies, refers to the ability of an object to exist in multiple states or positions simultaneously. This concept is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and is often associated with subatomic particles, but it has also been observed in larger objects such as cats.</p><h2>2. How is superposition related to the cat's perspective?</h2><p>The cat's perspective refers to the idea that an object's state or position is not determined until it is observed. In the famous thought experiment known as Schrödinger's cat, a cat is placed in a sealed box with a radioactive substance that has a 50% chance of decaying and triggering a mechanism that will kill the cat. According to quantum mechanics, until the box is opened and the cat is observed, it exists in a state of superposition where it is both alive and dead at the same time.</p><h2>3. Can macroscopic bodies truly be in superposition?</h2><p>The concept of superposition has been experimentally proven in the microscopic world, but it is still a topic of debate in the macroscopic world. While there have been some experiments that suggest macroscopic objects can exhibit quantum behavior, it is not yet fully understood if they can truly exist in superposition.</p><h2>4. What are the implications of macroscopic superposition?</h2><p>If macroscopic bodies are able to exist in superposition, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and communication.</p><h2>5. How does the cat's perspective challenge our understanding of reality?</h2><p>The cat's perspective challenges our understanding of reality because it suggests that the act of observation can fundamentally alter the state of an object. This goes against our classical understanding of cause and effect, where an object's state is determined by previous events. It also raises philosophical questions about the nature of reality and the role of consciousness in shaping it.</p>

1. What is superposition in the context of macroscopic bodies?

Superposition, in the context of macroscopic bodies, refers to the ability of an object to exist in multiple states or positions simultaneously. This concept is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and is often associated with subatomic particles, but it has also been observed in larger objects such as cats.

2. How is superposition related to the cat's perspective?

The cat's perspective refers to the idea that an object's state or position is not determined until it is observed. In the famous thought experiment known as Schrödinger's cat, a cat is placed in a sealed box with a radioactive substance that has a 50% chance of decaying and triggering a mechanism that will kill the cat. According to quantum mechanics, until the box is opened and the cat is observed, it exists in a state of superposition where it is both alive and dead at the same time.

3. Can macroscopic bodies truly be in superposition?

The concept of superposition has been experimentally proven in the microscopic world, but it is still a topic of debate in the macroscopic world. While there have been some experiments that suggest macroscopic objects can exhibit quantum behavior, it is not yet fully understood if they can truly exist in superposition.

4. What are the implications of macroscopic superposition?

If macroscopic bodies are able to exist in superposition, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and communication.

5. How does the cat's perspective challenge our understanding of reality?

The cat's perspective challenges our understanding of reality because it suggests that the act of observation can fundamentally alter the state of an object. This goes against our classical understanding of cause and effect, where an object's state is determined by previous events. It also raises philosophical questions about the nature of reality and the role of consciousness in shaping it.