Cauchy Sequence Convergence in the Real Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses two GRE questions related to sequences and limits. The first question asks about the convergence of a sequence when the function is continuous or uniformly continuous. The second question asks about the limit of a complex function and how it depends on the angle. The conversation also touches on the concept of Cauchy sequences and the difference between convergence and being Cauchy.
jem05
hello,
i have 2 gre questions:
1) if i have a sequence xn in R that goes to 0, then:
a) if f is a continuous function , then f(xn) is a cauchy sequence. (true ?)
b) if f is a uniformly continuous function , then f(xn) is a convergent sequence. (true?)

2) lim z--> 0, [tex]\bar{z}[/tex]2 / z2 = ?
i got that it does not exist after i took lim r --> 0 ... by converting to exponential form, i
e^-4i \alpha , so it depends on the angle.

thank you...

Physics news on Phys.org

Sure. If f is continuous at x=0 and x_n->0 then f(x_n)->f(0) so the sequence converges. If a sequence converges then it's cauchy. 'Uniformly' doesn't change that. And also, yes, lim [tex]{\bar z}^2/z^2[/tex] is definitely going to depend on angle.

hello, thank you,..
yeah i thought about the " If f is continuous at x=0 and x_n->0 then f(x_n)->f(0) so the sequence converges. " but in wiki, it says continuous functions convert convergent sequences to cauchy ones.
but i would have put in correct even in it said convergent not only cauchy. this is what's confusing me

jem05 said:
hello, thank you,..
yeah i thought about the " If f is continuous at x=0 and x_n->0 then f(x_n)->f(0) so the sequence converges. " but in wiki, it says continuous functions convert convergent sequences to cauchy ones.
but i would have put in correct even in it said convergent not only cauchy. this is what's confusing me

In the real numbers, 'Cauchy' is the same thing as 'convergent', because the real numbers are 'complete'. Try and wiki that one and see if you get it. In the rationals a sequence may be 'Cauchy' but not 'convergent' because the limit point might not exist, because it might be irrational. In general, 'convergent' is stronger than 'cauchy'. If it's convergent it's cauchy, but not necessarily vice versa.

Related to Cauchy Sequence Convergence in the Real Numbers

What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of numbers where the terms become closer and closer together as the sequence progresses. In other words, for any positive number, there exists a point in the sequence after which all the terms are within that distance from each other.

How does a Cauchy sequence relate to the GRE problem?

The Cauchy sequence GRE problem is a common question on the GRE math section that tests a person's understanding of Cauchy sequences. It typically involves identifying whether or not a given sequence is a Cauchy sequence, and if so, proving it.

What is the importance of Cauchy sequences in mathematics?

Cauchy sequences are important in mathematics because they are a fundamental concept in the study of real numbers and continuity. They are also used in various areas of mathematics, such as analysis, number theory, and topology.

What are some properties of Cauchy sequences?

Some key properties of Cauchy sequences include the fact that they are bounded, meaning that the terms do not become infinitely large or small. Additionally, any convergent sequence is a Cauchy sequence, but the converse is not always true.

How can I identify a Cauchy sequence on the GRE?

To identify a Cauchy sequence on the GRE, you will need to check if the terms become closer and closer together as the sequence progresses. This can be done by calculating the difference between consecutive terms and seeing if it approaches zero. If it does, then the sequence is likely a Cauchy sequence.