Cells and the criteria of life

In summary, the conversation discusses the criteria of life, including homeostasis, organization, metabolism, growth, adaption, response to stimuli, and reproduction. There is debate about whether all cells and microorganisms meet these criteria, with viruses and prions being exceptions. The concept of movement as a characteristic of life has been removed. Some believe that computer simulations of agents with these properties could be considered alive, while others view it as a philosophical question.
physarrista
Do all cells and microorganisms fulfill the criteria of life?

Homeostasis
Organisation
Metabolism
Growth
Adaption
Response to Stimuli
Reproduction

I'm asking, because I know that there are animal species which don't fulfill all those criteria (I know a mule can't reproduce) and I was wondering if there are bacteria or cell lines out there which for example don't grow or something. It doesn't seem possible to me, but with biology you never know..

Biology news on Phys.org
Depends on what you consider a microorganism - viruses and prions do not meet most of those criteria, but the general of view of these beasties is that they are not really living.

If you include things that metabolize when they are in an active phase (not parked inside a spore for example), then I think the answer is yes. This would discard viruses, for example.

It's true an entire mule can't reproduce, but many of its cells surely can.

Yeah.
Some googling revealed, there seems to be some kind of debate out there about the criteria anyways.
I remember learning "movement" as an attribute of life in high school biology class. This seems to have been taken off the list, since.

Search around this site, Jim or some other frequent poster has already written prolifically about grey areas in biology and how to think about them.

It wouldn't be difficult to write a computer program that simulates agents having all these properties. Indeed lots of research along these lines is carried out in the field usually called "artificial life".

" Are those agents really "alive"? " Is probably more a philosophy of language question than anything else.

What are cells and why are they important?

Cells are the basic building blocks of all living organisms. They are important because they carry out essential functions such as obtaining nutrients, getting rid of waste, and replicating to allow for growth and repair of the organism.

What are the criteria of life?

The criteria of life include the ability to reproduce, maintain homeostasis, respond to stimuli, grow and develop, obtain and use energy, and have a complex organization.

What is the difference between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells?

Prokaryotic cells are simpler and do not have a true nucleus or membrane-bound organelles, while eukaryotic cells are more complex and have a true nucleus and membrane-bound organelles.

How do cells obtain and use energy?

Cells obtain energy through processes such as photosynthesis (in plants) and cellular respiration (in animals). This energy is then used to carry out essential functions and maintain life.

Why is the study of cells important in biology?

The study of cells is important in biology because it helps us understand the fundamental processes of life and how organisms function. It also allows us to develop treatments for diseases and make advancements in fields such as biotechnology and medicine.