Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cellular network Probability distribution function of frequency

1. Aug 1, 2011 #1
    Hi,
    I am trying to model a PDF of frequency for the WCDMA handset. I have found some info on ways of graphing a PDF of transmit power but nothing on frequency. I am hoping there is a way to model this, but think it might be something that requires field tests with multiple phones. Any thoughts?

Also I am looking into an increase in TRP from a phone due to increased efficiency, specifically the application of a digitally tunable capacitor for impedance matching. I am trying to figure out the best way to calculate the increased TRP, but don't even know what kinda of information I would need. I'm considering just assuming some manufactures efficiency increase (for one of their switching components) and applying that to the RF PA efficiency; power; current draw to find it. I do not know if this is an appropriate method or not. Any Help would be really appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Christa Nicole

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2011 #2
    The modulation scheme is pretty complicated so this isn't going to be very easy without getting into a lot of math. You should probably track down some papers on the particular version WCDMA modulation scheme (there isn't just one - different countries have implemented variations at different points in time). The derivation itself will probably have the equation defining what you are looking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W-CDMA_(UMTS [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook