Center of mass: 2 objects in triangle system

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the center of mass of a system consisting of three objects of different masses located at the corners of a triangle. The distances between the objects are given as a=4.21 m, b=1.55 m, and c=11.93 m. The final answer for the center of mass is found to be xcm=5.5 m. The conversation also mentions an initial incorrect answer of 6.2 m, which was due to using 4.21 as the origin instead of the reference point. The correct method involves adding the distance of the reference point to the final answer.
IDKPhysics101
Three objects of different masses are located at the corners of the triangle shown in the picture. If distance a equals 4.21 m, b equals 1.55 m, and c equals 11.93 m, then what is the center of the mass (in m) of the system in the horizontal with respect to the origin?

X center of mass=6.2/6m+4.21(if set beginning of b as reference point zero then add it in the end to find respect to the origin)=5.24?

I don't have time to type my work right now. But will show work if answer is wrong to see where i went wrong.

Attachments

• center_of_mass_2.gif
    center_of_mass_2.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org
IDKPhysics101 said:
Three objects of different masses are located at the corners of the triangle shown in the picture. If distance a equals 4.21 m, b equals 1.55 m, and c equals 11.93 m, then what is the center of the mass (in m) of the system in the horizontal with respect to the origin?

X center of mass=6.2/6m + …

no, not 6.2, try again :smile:

well my total answer was 5.24, is that correct?

No, neither is 5.24

xcm= (2m*4.21) + (3m*5.76) +(m*7.31)
---------------------------------
2m + 3m + m

xcm=5.5?

IDKPhysics101 said:
xcm= (2m*4.21) + (3m*5.76) +(m*7.31)
---------------------------------
2m + 3m + m

xcm=5.5?

Yes, 5.5 is correct, but you really do need to go back to your original method (which was better) to see why the 6.2 was wrong :wink:

yeah, i realized that i was making 4.21 the origin or the point of reference or something to get the center of mass for just the system no regarding the origin and just adding it in at the end

Well that's correct basically and the easier way. We just don't know how you got your 6.2 in the first post.

Xcm=(2m*0)+(3m*1.55)+(m*1.55)
-----------------------------
(2m+3m+m)

Are the 3m and the m mass at the same value of x? At least that is what you wrote there. Look at the sketch again.

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in a system where the mass of the system is concentrated. It is the average location of all the mass in the system.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the objects in the system. This is done by multiplying the mass of each object by its position and then dividing by the total mass of the system.

3. What is the importance of the center of mass?

The center of mass is important in determining the overall motion of a system. It is also useful in analyzing the stability of a system and predicting how it will behave under external forces.

4. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object. This is especially true in irregularly shaped objects where the mass is not evenly distributed.

5. How does the position of the center of mass affect the stability of a system?

The closer the center of mass is to the base of support, the more stable the system will be. If the center of mass is outside of the base of support, the system will be less stable and may topple over.