Center of Mass and Inertia Tensor Experimentation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
landong
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello All,

I am trying to create an experiment to determine the center of mass and inertia tensor of an aribtrary object. This object is small (softball size), and non symmetrical on all axis. I have some thoughts concerning gyroscopes and accelorameters, but am curious to see what thoughts others might have on equipment/methods to determine these characteristics experimentally.

Any insight/suggestions you would be willing to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I have created a static balancing experiment to determine the center of mass of this object.

However, I am having trouble creating a "dynamic balancing" project to find the Inertia Tensor. I believe this is most likely due to my lack of understanding of the theory behind what these properties really mean. I reviewed the other thread and found your diagram helpful in differentiating between principle moments of inertia (Ixx) and products of inertia (Ixy). I was hoping you might be able to give me some examples as to how I could complete a dynamic balancing scenario and what data would need to be monitored to calculate the inertia tensor.

Thanks again.
 
landong said:
Hello All,

I am trying to create an experiment to determine the center of mass and inertia tensor of an aribtrary object. This object is small (softball size), and non symmetrical on all axis. I have some thoughts concerning gyroscopes and accelorameters, but am curious to see what thoughts others might have on equipment/methods to determine these characteristics experimentally.

Any insight/suggestions you would be willing to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Finding the center of mass is easy- hang the object sequentially from three points, drawing a line from where you hang the object straight down. The lines intersect at the center of mass.

Getting the principal axis of the moment of inertia can be found here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13128&d=1205872956

(Shamelessly stolen from Fred Garvin)

Or buy something:

http://www.space-electronics.com/Products/moment_of_inertia_instruments.php
http://www.idicb.com/moimeas.htm
 
Last edited by a moderator:
When considering the experiment in:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachm...8&d=1205872956

Would the stiffness of the wires used not come into play?

Also, this would give you the moments of inertia about the principle axis: Ixx, Iyy, Izz

How could the remaining factors of the inertia tensor be found (Ixy=Iyx, Ixz=Izx, & Iyz=Izy)?

Thanks for your help.
 
Last edited by a moderator: