Center of Mass Balancing Question

In summary: So, the see-saw will tip in the direction of the heavier cat.Now think about torque.Torque is force times distance from the fulcrum. Here force is, of course, the weight of each cat. Balancing see-saw means torque of both cats should cancel.So the see-saw will tip towards the orange cat.
lola96
The question is:
The orange and blue cat are currently balanced on the see saw. The orange cat then eats a bird, which of the following could make the see saw balanced again?
- I attached the picture that the question is referencing.

And the possible answers are:
  • A. Orange cat stays at same location and blue cat walks closer to the fulcrum.
  • B. Blue cat stays at same location and orange cat walks away from the fulcrum
  • C. Orange cat stays at same location and blue cat walks away from the fulcrum.

I am confused because after everything I learned in class I assumed the answer would be that the orange cat should move closer to the fulcrum. But clearly that isn't it because its not an option. But then I was thinking that the blue cat was already heavier than the orange cat since in order for them to currently balance on the see saw the blue cat was closer which would mean that the orange cat should possibly more farther away? So I am still confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 8.01.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 8.01.48 PM.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is an equivalent
lola96 said:
orange cat should move closer to the fulcrum.
rearrangement?

Bystander said:
What is an equivalent
rearrangement?

The blue cat moving away from the fulcrum?

Think, please.

lola96 said:
The question is:
The orange and blue cat are currently balanced on the see saw. The orange cat then eats a bird, which of the following could make the see saw balanced again?
- I attached the picture that the question is referencing.

And the possible answers are:
  • A. Orange cat stays at same location and blue cat walks closer to the fulcrum.
  • B. Blue cat stays at same location and orange cat walks away from the fulcrum
  • C. Orange cat stays at same location and blue cat walks away from the fulcrum.

I am confused because after everything I learned in class I assumed the answer would be that the orange cat should move closer to the fulcrum. But clearly that isn't it because its not an option. But then I was thinking that the blue cat was already heavier than the orange cat since in order for them to currently balance on the see saw the blue cat was closer which would mean that the orange cat should possibly more farther away? So I am still confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If nobody moves, which way will the seesaw tip?

haruspex said:
If nobody moves, which way will the seesaw tip?
Will the see saw tip towards the orange cat?

lola96 said:
Yes.

Now think about torque.
Torque is force times distance from the fulcrum. Here force is, of course, the weight of each cat. Balancing see-saw means torque of both cats should cancel.

lola96 said:

Instead of asking us, you should tell us. Think about it: the orange cat now weighs more than before!

What is center of mass balancing?

Center of mass balancing is a technique used to find the balancing point of an object or system. It takes into account the distribution of mass and the distance from the axis of rotation to determine the point at which the object or system will remain in equilibrium.

Why is center of mass balancing important?

Center of mass balancing is important because it helps to determine the stability of an object or system. By finding the center of mass, engineers and designers can ensure that an object or system will not tip over or become unstable during operation.

How is center of mass balancing calculated?

Center of mass balancing is calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual masses and their respective distances from the axis of rotation. This can be done through mathematical equations or by physically balancing the object on a pivot point.

What factors affect center of mass balancing?

The factors that affect center of mass balancing include the distribution of mass, the shape and size of the object, and the location of the axis of rotation. Any changes to these factors can alter the center of mass and affect the stability of the object or system.

How is center of mass balancing used in real-life applications?

Center of mass balancing is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as designing stable structures, balancing vehicles and aircraft, and creating stable platforms for equipment. It is also used in sports equipment, such as bicycles and skateboards, to ensure stability and safety during use.