How Is the Acceleration of the Center of Mass Calculated with Differing Forces?

In summary, there is a three-ball system with masses 1 kg, 2 kg, and 3 kg arranged at different positions with a net force applied to each ball. The net force applied to ball 3 is zero. The question is asking for the magnitude of the acceleration of the center of mass of the system. The formula F/m = a is used, with F being the difference between the net forces applied to ball 1 and 2, and m being the total mass of the system. The answer is found to be 0.1667 m/s^2, which is confirmed to be correct.
Ridonkulus
For some reason I can't seem to figure this question out. I get the feeling it's much easier than I'm making it. But here it is:

Ball 1, ball 2, and ball 3 have masses 1 kg, 2 kg, and 3 kg respectively, and are initially arranged at x = 1 m, x = 2 m, and x = 3 m respectively. y = 1 m for all three balls. Now suppose that a net force of 1 N is applied to ball 1 in the +y direction and a net force of 2 N is applied to ball 2 in the -y direction. The net force on ball 3 is zero. What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the center of mass of the three-ball system?

I've been using the formula F/m = a, where a is the acceleration of the center of mass. For F I've been using (1N-2N), and for mass I've been using (1kg+2kg+3kg). This gives me an answer of .1667 m/s^2, which I think is incorrect (because the formula doesn't take into account which part of the mass is moving in which direction with which force). Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to consider my question.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've come up with the right magnitude. The accelaration is (1j - 2j)/6 ms-2

Oh, ok thanks a lot!

1. What does the equation "Center of Mass F/m = a" mean?

The equation "Center of Mass F/m = a" represents Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How is the center of mass calculated using this equation?

The center of mass is calculated by dividing the total force acting on an object by its mass, resulting in the acceleration of the object. This acceleration can then be used to determine the position of the object's center of mass.

3. What is the significance of the center of mass in physics?

The center of mass is a crucial concept in physics as it represents the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed. It is used to analyze the motion of objects and understand the effects of external forces on their movement.

4. How does the center of mass affect an object's stability?

The location of an object's center of mass plays a significant role in determining its stability. If the center of mass is located above the object's base, it will be stable. However, if the center of mass is outside the base, the object will be unstable and may topple over.

5. Can the center of mass of an object change?

Yes, the center of mass of an object can change depending on the distribution of its mass. If the mass distribution changes, the center of mass will also shift. Additionally, external forces such as gravity and applied forces can also affect the position of an object's center of mass.