1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of mass

1. Nov 17, 2005 #1
    hi,
    I am finding the center of mass in this problem. I have it as an attachment. Please take a look, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your attachment shows three masses, but I can't tell their positions from what's written. (It's just not clear to me.)

4. Nov 18, 2005 #3
    Here is that file again. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

5. Nov 18, 2005 #4

Doc Al

OK, now it's a bit clearer. The first thing to realize is that the masses are not point masses, but have length. Assuming that they are uniform, each mass has its own center of mass, right at its center. When calculating the center of mass of the system, you need to measure the distance of the center of each mass from your reference point.

Give it another shot.

6. Nov 18, 2005 #5

Thanks again, so the distance for mass 1 will be 1m from my reference point, for mass 2 it will be 6m, for mass 3 it will be 8m. Am i correct.

center of mass = (20(1) + 30(6) + 40(8))/ 90
    = 5.78 m

7. Nov 18, 2005 #6
    Recheck the distance to the cm of the third mass.

8. Nov 18, 2005 #7

Doc Al

Measured from the left edge of mass 1, I'd say that your distances are correct for masses 1 and 2, but not for mass 3.

9. Nov 18, 2005 #8

Thanks, the distance for mass 3 will be 10m from the left edge of mass 1, correct.

center of mass = (20(1) + 30(6) + 40(10))/90
    = 6.67 m
    This will be the answer, thanks for ur help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?