1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Central Forces and particle of mass

1. Mar 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of mass m moves under the influence of a central force given by F(r) = -k/r^n. If the particle's orbit is circular and passes through the force center r = 0. Show n = 5. Find the radius of the circular orbit.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to find n = 5 fairly easily with the orbit equation, however I am having difficulties with the radius.
    so U(r) = -k/r^4

The orbit equation:
    L/mr^2 dr/dphi = 1/m sqrt( 2m{E-U(r)} - L^2/r^2 )

According to my professor, E = 0.
    Ueff = Lz^2 / (2mr^2) + -k/r^4
    I plotted Ueff and it's certainly different from Kepler's problem. I can kind of see how the parabola (E = 0) in Kepler's problem is equivalent to the circle in this problem but I can't mathematically prove it..

So my question is:
    1) How do I really show that E = 0 for a circular orbit with this potential. (Integrating the orbit equation with this potential is not possible in terms of elementary functions as far as I know)
    I was under the impression that dUeff/dr = 0 for any central force potential, from plotting Ueff I can see that this point wouldn't yield a circle.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted