Central Forces and particle of mass

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of n in a central force equation, as well as calculating the radius of a circular orbit with this potential. The orbit equation and Ueff are mentioned, and there is a question about proving E = 0 for a circular orbit and calculating the radius of the orbit.
roeb

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m moves under the influence of a central force given by F(r) = -k/r^n. If the particle's orbit is circular and passes through the force center r = 0. Show n = 5. Find the radius of the circular orbit.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find n = 5 fairly easily with the orbit equation, however I am having difficulties with the radius.
so U(r) = -k/r^4

The orbit equation:
L/mr^2 dr/dphi = 1/m sqrt( 2m{E-U(r)} - L^2/r^2 )

According to my professor, E = 0.
Ueff = Lz^2 / (2mr^2) + -k/r^4
I plotted Ueff and it's certainly different from Kepler's problem. I can kind of see how the parabola (E = 0) in Kepler's problem is equivalent to the circle in this problem but I can't mathematically prove it..

So my question is:
1) How do I really show that E = 0 for a circular orbit with this potential. (Integrating the orbit equation with this potential is not possible in terms of elementary functions as far as I know)
I was under the impression that dUeff/dr = 0 for any central force potential, from plotting Ueff I can see that this point wouldn't yield a circle.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
2) How do I calculate the radius of the orbit?I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out here.

1. What is a central force?

A central force is a type of force that acts on an object in a way that the direction of the force is always towards or away from a fixed point, known as the center of force. This means that the force acts along the line connecting the object and the center of force.

2. How do central forces affect particles of mass?

Central forces affect particles of mass by causing them to move in a curved path, as the direction of the force is constantly changing as the particle moves. The magnitude of the force is determined by the distance between the particle and the center of force, as well as the properties of the particle, such as its mass and charge.

3. What are some examples of central forces?

Some examples of central forces include the gravitational force between two massive objects, the electric force between charged particles, and the magnetic force between moving charged particles. These forces all act along the line connecting the objects and follow the laws of central forces.

4. How are central forces different from non-central forces?

Central forces differ from non-central forces in that they act along the line connecting the objects, while non-central forces can act in any direction. Additionally, central forces are conservative, meaning they do not dissipate energy, while non-central forces can be non-conservative and dissipate energy as they act on an object.

5. What is the importance of central forces in physics?

Central forces play a crucial role in understanding the motion of objects in the universe, from the orbits of planets around the sun to the behavior of subatomic particles. They also help explain the laws of motion and the principles of energy conservation, making them fundamental concepts in physics.