Understanding Centripetal Motion: Exploring Acceleration, Factors, and Limits

In summary, centripetal (circular) motion is characterized by an orbital radius, speed, mass, and centripetal force. The force of this motion is equal to the mass multiplied by the square of the velocity, divided by the radius. The period of the motion can be determined by using the formula velocity equals 2 pi times the radius divided by the period. The acceleration can be calculated using the formula velocity squared divided by the radius. In non-uniform circular motion, there is also a tangential component of acceleration that is tangent to the circle of motion.
dekoi
Would anyone be kind enough to explain the concept of centripetal (circular) motion to me?

How accelerations are determined (i understand they are non constant);

What factors affect this motion, and/or what factors relate to it.

How do limits relate to this type of acceleration?

Thank you.
---

I understand the concept of this sort of acceleration. The speed remains constant throughout the cycles, however, the acceleration changes due tot he change in direction -- and thus a change in velocity.

Howevever, i am not sure how frequency of the cycles affects e.g. tension (of a string, if a string is spinning with an attached rubber stopper for example), how mass affects frequency, and other relationships with frequency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a direct homework question from the text :uhh:

Try giving it a try and I'm sure you can find all the answers on google

It is not a direct homework question. Although I'm glad you feel my sentence structure seems like it :)

I understand the concept of this sort of acceleration. The speed remains constant throughout the cycles, however, the acceleration changes due tot he change in direction -- and thus a change in velocity.

Howevever, i am not sure how frequency of the cycles affects e.g. tension (of a string, if a string is spinning with an attached rubber stopper for example), how mass affects frequency, and other relationships with frequency.

Circular motion is characterized by an orbital radius r, a speed v, the mass m of the object which moves in a circle, and the magnitude F of the centripetal force. The force of the Centripetal motion equals (m*v^2)/r

velocity=2*pi*R/T
acceleration=v^2/R
angular frequency= 2pi/T

T is the period

Last edited:
UrbanXrisis said:
Circular motion is characterized by an orbital radius r, a speed v, the mass m of the object which moves in a circle, and the magnitude F of the centripetal force. The force of the Centripetal motion equals (m*v^2)/r

velocity=2*pi*R/T
acceleration=v^2/R
angular frequency= 2pi/T

T is the period
That's assuming uniform circular motion where the only acceleration is towards the center of the circle.

In non-uniform circular motion (where the speed of the object is accelerating) there is also a tangental component of acceleration that is tangent to the circle of motion. You can then take the vector product of the tangential and centripital acceleration to get the net acceleration.

dekoi said:
<snip>
</snip>

Not quite. For your more simple cases, the speed is constant, but the direction is changing, and as a result the velocity is changing, so the object is accelerating.

The acceleration is NOT changing!

For more complex cases (as previously stated by dav2008) you can have a non-uniform acceleration, but I thought this needed clarifying first.

1. What is centripetal motion?

Centripetal motion is the motion of an object in a circular path around a fixed point. This type of motion involves an inward force, called centripetal force, that keeps the object moving in a curved path.

2. How is acceleration related to centripetal motion?

Acceleration is directly related to centripetal motion because it is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In circular motion, the object is constantly changing direction, hence its velocity is constantly changing. This results in acceleration towards the center of the circle, which is the direction of the centripetal force.

3. What factors affect centripetal motion?

The factors that affect centripetal motion include the mass of the object, the speed of the object, and the radius of the circular path. The greater the mass and speed of the object, the greater the centripetal force needed to keep it moving in a circular path. Similarly, a smaller radius will require a greater centripetal force.

4. What are the limits of centripetal motion?

The limit of centripetal motion is when the centripetal force is equal to the object's weight, causing it to fall out of its circular path. This is known as the critical speed or the minimum speed required for an object to maintain centripetal motion. Additionally, an object cannot have an infinite speed or radius in a circular path, as this would require an infinite amount of centripetal force.

5. How is centripetal motion used in real life?

Centripetal motion is used in many real-life applications, such as in circular motion rides at amusement parks, centrifuges used in laboratories, and the motion of planets around the sun. It is also used in sports, such as in the spinning of a basketball on a player's finger or the curve of a baseball pitch. In engineering, centripetal motion is used in designing roller coasters and other machines that require circular motion.