Solve Centripetal Force Question: Find Vehicle Speed

• Thread starter harmeet_angel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centripetal
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of a car moving at a constant speed over a hill with a radius of 18 m. The equations used are Newton's second law and the centripetal force formula, and the normal reaction (N) is found to be 0. The person asking the question also clarifies the formula for centripetal force and discusses drawing a free body diagram to better understand the concept. The conversation ends with a comparison to other situations where a person may feel weightless, such as in a free falling elevator.
harmeet_angel

Homework Statement

An automobile moves at constant speed over a hill with a radius of 18 m. At the top of the hill, the drivers notices that she barely remains in contact with the seat. find the speed of the vehicle.

Homework Equations

Using Newton's second lay, and centripetal force formula

The Attempt at a Solution

N=0
W-N = Fc <centripetal force>

therefoce, (mv^2)/r = mg

and v= (rg)^0.5

I do not have the answer, so wondering if I have made any mistake somewhere above ?

Physics news on Phys.org
looks okay to me.

i don't quite get it

"N=0"

what does N rep?
and where did you get the equation "W-N = Fc <centripetal force>"
isn't the formula for centripetal force, (mv^2)/r?
and how do know if that equals mg?

ugh. this stuff is pretty new to me and it's confusing me. :'(

N represents normal reaction. Draw a free body diagram of normal reaction and weight. The centripetal force is the resultant force of weight and normal reaction.

oooooooooooh, i get it.- so FBD is the answer!

but why is Fn zero again? is it because she "barely remains in contact with the seat"? then, it's not the same as when a person feels weightless, is it?
in what other situations is like this?

thanks a lot to all!

and, as for how did i get there<assuming that me's right>
centripetal force is the resultant, and
there must be something that provides it...
in this case,
the car is pushed up by the road, down by the gravity
and the net force is keeping the car in the circle
as normal force is against or negative..
so...
I think drawing free body diagram would help

a seeker said:
oooooooooooh, i get it.- so FBD is the answer!

but why is Fn zero again? is it because she "barely remains in contact with the seat"? then, it's not the same as when a person feels weightless, is it?
in what other situations is like this?

yea, because she is not being pushed by her seat so shez weightless..
other situation..a free falling elevator, with some thing in it, and that thing would be weightless

k. thnx a lot. i think i kinda understand it now...

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How do you calculate centripetal force?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv²/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

3. What is the relationship between centripetal force and speed?

The centripetal force is directly proportional to the square of the speed. This means that as the speed increases, the centripetal force also increases.

4. How do you find the speed of a vehicle using centripetal force?

To find the speed of a vehicle using centripetal force, you can rearrange the formula v = √(Fc*r/m), where v is the velocity, Fc is the centripetal force, r is the radius of the circle, and m is the mass of the vehicle.

5. What are some real-life applications of centripetal force?

Centripetal force is involved in many real-life situations such as the motion of planets around the sun, the rotation of a washing machine, and the movement of a car around a curve. It is also important in sports such as figure skating and gymnastics, where centripetal force is used to maintain circular motion.