Calculating Radius from Angular and Tangential Acceleration in a Bicycle Wheel

• Thread starter BoldKnight399
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between angular acceleration and tangential acceleration in a bicycle wheel. The attempt at a solution involves relating the two values using the formula cm/s2 = radian/s2 times cm/radian. The missing value needed to solve the problem is found to be cm/radian.
BoldKnight399
A bicycle wheel has an angular acceleration
of 1.4 rad/s2.
If a point on its rim has a tangential accel-
eration of 49 cm/s2, what is the radius of the
wheel?
Answer in units of m.

I know that there should be some way to relate the angular acceleration and the tangential acceleration but I can't figure it out.

I tried to relate the angular acceleration to angular speed to then find delta theta so then I could plug into S=Rtheta. The only problem is that I don't have the angular speed. I know that there has to be an easy way to do this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hail BoldKnight399! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(erm :redface: … tangential is more-or-less the opposite of centripetal :rolleyes:)
BoldKnight399 said:
… I know that there should be some way to relate the angular acceleration and the tangential acceleration but I can't figure it out.

cm/s2 = radian/s2 times cm/radian

(just like cm/s = radian/s times cm/radian :wink:).

So what is cm/radian in this case? :smile:

knew it had to be simple and I was just missing it. Thank you!

Related to Calculating Radius from Angular and Tangential Acceleration in a Bicycle Wheel

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It keeps the object moving in a circular motion and prevents it from moving in a straight line.

2. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force is a result of the inertia of the object, while centripetal force is a real force acting on the object.

3. How is centripetal force calculated?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the equation Fc = mv²/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. What are some examples of centripetal force in everyday life?

Some common examples of centripetal force include the force of gravity keeping planets in orbit around the sun, the tension in a string keeping a ball moving in a circular path, and the force of friction keeping a car turning on a curved road.

5. How does centripetal force affect the speed of an object?

Centripetal force does not directly affect the speed of an object in circular motion. However, as the speed of an object increases, the centripetal force needed to keep the object in its circular path also increases. If the centripetal force is not enough, the object will move in a larger radius or fly off the circular path.