1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ceramic Magnets and their durability in temperature fluctuations

1. Jun 19, 2012 #1
    I work in the Aggregate industry and we use ceramic magnets to pull ferrous materials out of the feed of Aggregate materials passing by on a conveyor belt.
    So i have a basic knowledge about how they work, but my technical knowlege about magents is extremely lacking.

Wondering if anyone would have any theories as to why a ceramic permanent magnet would lose its strength working in a place with extremely cold temparatures? I.E. -40° C.
    I know that permanent magnets become stronger when they are put in extremely cold temps, but i'm wondering if going from -40 to +20 every 24 hours for months in a row might gradually decrease the strength over time??

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanx in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2012 #2
    What kind of ceramic? Is it a ferrite?

4. Jun 22, 2012 #3
    It is Ferrite.

5. Jun 22, 2012 #4
    The values of the coercive field of some ferrites may decrease significantly at low temperature. This will make the magnet more sensitive to weak external fields, which may demagnetize it or reduce its magnetization.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook