Ceramic Magnets and their durability in temperature fluctuations

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of ceramic magnets in the Aggregate industry to remove ferrous materials from conveyor belts. The person has basic knowledge about how they work but is lacking in technical knowledge. They then ask for theories on why a ceramic permanent magnet would lose its strength in extremely cold temperatures, specifically -40° C. It is mentioned that permanent magnets become stronger in cold temperatures but the constant fluctuation from -40° C to +20° C over time may decrease its strength. It is suggested that the type of ceramic, specifically ferrites, may be more sensitive to low temperatures and external fields, causing a decrease in magnetization.
bluerayz
I work in the Aggregate industry and we use ceramic magnets to pull ferrous materials out of the feed of Aggregate materials passing by on a conveyor belt.
So i have a basic knowledge about how they work, but my technical knowledge about magents is extremely lacking.

Wondering if anyone would have any theories as to why a ceramic permanent magnet would lose its strength working in a place with extremely cold temparatures? I.E. -40° C.
I know that permanent magnets become stronger when they are put in extremely cold temps, but I'm wondering if going from -40 to +20 every 24 hours for months in a row might gradually decrease the strength over time??

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanx in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of ceramic? Is it a ferrite?

It is Ferrite.

The values of the coercive field of some ferrites may decrease significantly at low temperature. This will make the magnet more sensitive to weak external fields, which may demagnetize it or reduce its magnetization.

I can provide some insights about ceramic magnets and their durability in temperature fluctuations. Ceramic magnets are a type of permanent magnet made from a combination of iron oxide and strontium carbonate. They are known for their high resistance to corrosion and their ability to maintain their magnetic properties at high temperatures, making them suitable for use in industrial applications such as the one you have described in the aggregate industry.

However, like any other material, ceramic magnets can also be affected by extreme temperature changes. When a magnet is exposed to extremely cold temperatures, its magnetic domains align in a more ordered manner, making the magnet stronger. On the other hand, when the temperature increases, the magnetic domains become more disordered, resulting in a weaker magnet.

In your case, the constant temperature fluctuations from -40°C to +20°C every 24 hours for months can indeed have an impact on the strength of the ceramic magnet. This is because the repeated changes in temperature can cause the magnet to expand and contract, leading to microcracks and changes in the alignment of the magnetic domains. Over time, these factors can contribute to a gradual decrease in the strength of the magnet.

To mitigate this issue, it is important to choose a ceramic magnet that is specifically designed to withstand such extreme temperature fluctuations. Additionally, proper maintenance and handling of the magnets can also help prolong their durability. I hope this information helps and I would be happy to discuss further if you have any other questions.

1. What are ceramic magnets and how do they differ from other types of magnets?

Ceramic magnets, also known as ferrite magnets, are made from a combination of iron oxide and barium or strontium carbonate. They are a type of permanent magnet, meaning they retain their magnetization even when not in the presence of a magnetic field. Ceramic magnets have a relatively low magnetic strength compared to other types of magnets such as neodymium or samarium cobalt magnets.

2. Are ceramic magnets affected by temperature fluctuations?

Yes, ceramic magnets are affected by temperature fluctuations. Extreme hot or cold temperatures can cause changes in the magnetic properties and performance of the magnet. However, they are more resistant to temperature changes compared to other types of magnets such as neodymium magnets.

3. What is the maximum temperature that ceramic magnets can withstand?

The maximum temperature that ceramic magnets can withstand varies depending on the specific composition and grade of the magnet. Generally, ceramic magnets can withstand temperatures up to 250-300°C (482-572°F). However, this temperature limit can be lower for some grades of ceramic magnets.

4. How do temperature fluctuations affect the durability of ceramic magnets?

Temperature fluctuations can affect the durability of ceramic magnets by causing changes in the magnetic properties and performance of the magnet. This can result in a decrease in magnetic strength and potentially lead to demagnetization of the magnet over time. It is important to consider the temperature range in which the magnet will be used to ensure its durability.

5. Can ceramic magnets be used in high-temperature applications?

Ceramic magnets can be used in high-temperature applications up to their maximum temperature limit. However, it is important to carefully consider the temperature range and fluctuations in the application to ensure the magnet's durability and performance. In some cases, a different type of magnet such as a samarium cobalt magnet may be more suitable for high-temperature applications.