1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) Software Inquiry

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1
    Hey All!

Happy Monday (No one likes hearing that)

I've been recently looking into the different CFD programs available, and have become somewhat overwhelmed. My purpose today is to get some opinions, reviews, or experienced guidance on which programs would be useful to look into further.

To give you a little bit more of an idea of what the program will be used for, here is a little background information:

needs to be compatible with Catia, AutoCAD, DXF Import

will be used to calculate fluid flow, heat flow, and condensation inside, and outside of a dual skin facade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-skin_facade)

will also be used to calculate fluid flow, heat flow, and condensation inside and outside of a typical curtain wall frame (Aluminum framing enclosing a piece of glass)

Any input of information will be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2012 #2
    Any of the big named CFD software packages should be able to do what you desire. You could probably do this in Matlab even if your geometries aren't that complicated. I personally like Comsol and Ansys. Was never a big fan of other packages like Star CCM although some people love it.

4. Jan 9, 2012 #3
    I've been really looking into AutoDesk Simulation CFD. Seems to be flexible and full featured. Any experience or thoughts on this package?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=17142291#channels_Simulation [Broken] CFD Advanced

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook