CG of a cone ( using hollow cone)

• Thread starter VHAHAHA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cone
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the center of gravity (cg) of a solid cone by using the cg of a hollow cone. The process involves calculating the cg of the hollow cone first and then using integration to find the cg of the solid cone. The final answer is R*tant/4, which is the same as H/4. The conversation also mentions that the horizontal coordinate of the cg of the hollow cone is zero, which means that the horizontal coordinate of the cg of the solid cone is also zero. The conversation ends by offering additional help if needed.
VHAHAHA
The problem statement,
I know how to find the cg of a solid by using cross section
but i just don't know how to find the cg of the cone by using the cg of a hollow cone

for eg, we can calculate the cg of the half sphere by 1. calculating the cg of the hollow half sphere, than use it to calculate the cg of solid sphere

the problem is that i can't write a equation for the dm of each hollow cone because x and y changes

i just want to know how to do it and in fact this is not a homework question

can anyone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming that the cone is right-circular, with an apex angle of t. Let's say that the cone is placed with its circular surface on the ground.
You can say that the solid cone is made of lots of hollow cones, one placed over the other.
Lets find the mass and cm of hollow-cone first, and then use integration to find cm of solid cone..
Hollow cone:
Hollow cone has its cm at a height of h/3(=r/3 *tant) from the bottom. Let the base of this hollow cone have inner radius 'r' and outer radius 'r+dr'.
Then, volume of hollow cone = d(volume of solid cone)
=d( (pi/3) r^3 tant) = pi*tant*r^2*dr. --> its mass = density*volume
Solid cone:
Therefore, cg of solid cone is
integral (r/3 *tant * pi *tant* r^2*dr*density)/integral(pi*tant*r^2*dr*density)
with the limits of r being 0 to R(base radius of solid cone).
You get the final answer as R*tant/4 which is same as H/4.

The horizontal cordinate of cm of hollow cone is zero... implies horizontal cordinate of cm of solid cone is also zero.

let me know if u understood this.. or need additional help

1. What is the center of gravity (CG) of a hollow cone?

The center of gravity of a hollow cone is the point where the entire weight of the cone can be considered to act vertically downwards, without causing any rotation.

2. How is the CG of a hollow cone different from a solid cone?

The CG of a hollow cone is located at the midpoint of the axis of the cone, while the CG of a solid cone is located at one-fourth of the height of the cone from its base.

3. How do you calculate the CG of a hollow cone?

The CG of a hollow cone can be calculated by using the formula: CG = (3/4)h, where h is the height of the cone.

4. Does the mass distribution of a hollow cone affect its CG?

Yes, the mass distribution of a hollow cone can affect its CG. If the mass is concentrated towards the top or bottom of the cone, the CG will shift accordingly.

5. How does the CG of a hollow cone affect its stability?

The CG of a hollow cone plays a crucial role in determining its stability. A lower CG will result in a more stable cone, while a higher CG may cause the cone to topple over.