Chain rule problem and choice of notation

In summary, a student is seeking clarification on two different approaches to solving chain-rule problems. One approach uses function notation, while the other uses a "parade of variables". Another user points out an error in the second approach and provides a correct solution. The original student thanks the user for their help.
DeusAbscondus
I have attached a pdf setting forth my question.
This is a write up of a lesson i just had on yourtutor, in which i think the tutor might have made an error: this is a direct quote from the whiteboard:
$Let g(x)=2x, f(y)=e^y\Rightarrow(fog)(x)=f(g(x))=f(2x)=e^{2x}$$\\Now $$(fog)'(x)=f'(g(x))=f'(g(x)).g'(x)$

$f'(y)=e^{y}$
$g'(x)=2$
$(fog)'(x)=f'(2x).2=2e^{2x}$

My approach to solving problems like this has been unsystematic; he has tried to get me to think about these chain-rule problems in terms of function notation, rather than the unseemly parade of variables I trade in, as can be seen below

$\text{Now if: }y=x^2.e^{-x} \text{then let: }f(x)=x^2; g(x)=e^{-x};y'=f'(x).g'(x)=2x.-e^{-x}$

Would someone kindly comment critically and with explanations on the two formats/usages and their relative strengths/weaknesses as a modus operandi for all such problems, at the level of beginner.
Thanks,
DeusAbs

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DeusAbscondus said:
This is a write up of a lesson i just had on yourtutor, in which i think the tutor might have made an error: this is a direct quote from the whiteboard:
$Let g(x)=2x, f(y)=e^y\Rightarrow(fog)(x)=f(g(x))=f(2x)=e^{2x}$$\\Now $$(fog)'(x)=f'(g(x))=f'(g(x)).g'(x)$

That last line cannot be right as it stands, or rather the middle term is wrong.

What may be meant is:

$$(fog)'(x)=(f(g(x)))'=f'(g(x)).g'(x)$$

but that is not right either as the prime acts on a function not a function value.

CB

DeusAbscondus said:

$f'(y)=e^{y}$
$g'(x)=2$
$(fog)'(x)=f'(2x).2=2e^{2x}$

My approach to solving problems like this has been unsystematic; he has tried to get me to think about these chain-rule problems in terms of function notation, rather than the unseemly parade of variables I trade in, as can be seen below

$\text{Now if: }y=x^2.e^{-x} \text{then let: }f(x)=x^2; g(x)=e^{-x};y'=f'(x).g'(x)=2x.-e^{-x}$
Would someone kindly comment critically and with explanations on the two formats/usages and their relative strengths/weaknesses as a modus operandi for all such problems, at the level of beginner.
Thanks,
DeusAbs
All I can say is that your "method" is completely wrong and gives a wrong result. What you have written as your function, [tex]y= x^2e^{-x}[/tex] is a product, not a composition. And the product rule is (fg)'= f'g+ fg', NOT f'g'. The derivative of [tex]y= x^2e^{-x}[/tex] is [tex]y'= (x^2)'e^{-x}+ x^2(e^{-x})'= 2xe^{-x}+ x^2e^{-x}= e^{-x}(x^2+ 2x)[/tex].

If you meant [tex]y= e^{-x^2}[/tex] then it would be [tex]y'= e^{-x^2}(-x^2)'= e^{-x^2}(-2x)= -2xe^{-x^2}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
All I can say is that your "method" is completely wrong and gives a wrong result. What you have written as your function, [itex]y= x^2e^{-x}[/itex] is a product, not a composition. And the product rule is (fg)'= f'g+ fg', NOT f'g'. The derivative of [itex]y= x^2e^{-x}[/itex] is [itex]y'= (x^2)'e^{-x}+ x^2(e^{-x})'= 2xe^{-x}+ x^2e^{-x}= e^{-x}(x^2+ 2x)[/itex].

If you meant [itex]y= e^{-x^2}[/itex] then it would be [itex]y'= e^{-x^2}(-x^2)'= e^{-x^2}(-2x)= -2xe^{-x^2}[/itex]

Thanx for the bracing cold slap of reality: I learned from it!
D'abs.

Last edited:
CaptainBlack said:
That last line cannot be right as it stands, or rather the middle term is wrong.

What may be meant is:

$$(fog)'(x)=(f(g(x)))'=f'(g(x)).g'(x)$$

but that is not right either as the prime acts on a function not a function value.

CB

Thanks, I knew it couldn't be rigth but couldn't see why.
D'abs

DeusAbscondus said:
If you are going to be unfriendly and as unfinessed as a blunt battle-axe, at least be clear!
Tsk, tsk: look at your mess~!

D'abs

Don't take it personally. HallsofIvy has been helping on lots of sites for many, many years and has probably come across thousands upon thousands of lazy, ungrateful students in that time. When you help out on these kind of sites for a while you start to shorten your answers and just get straight to the point. I'm almost positive he didn't mean to insult you and is really trying to help you. We've given him his badges for a reason :)

Jameson said:
Don't take it personally. HallsofIvy has been helping on lots of sites for many, many years and has probably come across thousands upon thousands of lazy, ungrateful students in that time. When you help out on these kind of sites for a while you start to shorten your answers and just get straight to the point. I'm almost positive he didn't mean to insult you and is really trying to help you. We've given him his badges for a reason :)

Big pause for thought...
You are right: I *am* a tetchy creature: the question could have been a lot more carefully prepared; in that way I might have had no need to post it!

Suitably chastened, informed, another bit of the wild-man tamed and fitter for civilization.

thanks!

DeusAbscondus said:
Big pause for thought...
You are right: I *am* a tetchy creature: the question could have been a lot more carefully prepared; in that way I might have had no need to post it!

Suitably chastened, informed, another bit of the wild-man tamed and fitter for civilization.

thanks!

What I meant most of all is it's understandable how you felt and reacted. I visit other non-math forums and see how rude and inconsiderate people are to each other on the internet. If someone at MHB is legitimately being rude it will be dealt with and you always have the right to bring a post to our attention. I'll close this thread in a day or so if there are no more math related comments, since I'm kind of derailing it into a feedback thread but just wanted to make sure saw that I wasn't trying to reprimand you at all.

Jameson said:
What I meant most of all is it's understandable how you felt and reacted. I visit other non-math forums and see how rude and inconsiderate people are to each other on the internet. If someone at MHB is legitimately being rude it will be dealt with and you always have the right to bring a post to our attention. I'll close this thread in a day or so if there are no more math related comments, since I'm kind of derailing it into a feedback thread but just wanted to make sure saw that I wasn't trying to reprimand you at all.

Absolutely.
I took your comments in exactly this sense Jameson. You handled the matter with tact and sensitivity to all, which is what transformed a possibly acrimonious moment for me and others into a deepened understanding of:
-why I am here;
-the specialness of the place; and
-the need to sometimes wait 6 hours before responding :)

Thanks for the extra clarification though.
Deus Abs

Related to Chain rule problem and choice of notation

1. What is the chain rule problem?

The chain rule problem is a fundamental concept in calculus that involves finding the derivative of a composite function. This means that the function is made up of multiple smaller functions, and the chain rule helps us to find the rate of change of the entire function by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of complex functions, which are commonly found in real-world applications. It is also a building block for more advanced concepts in calculus, such as the product rule and the quotient rule.

3. What is the choice of notation in the chain rule?

The choice of notation in the chain rule can vary, but the most commonly used notation is the Leibniz notation, which uses the symbols dy/dx to represent the derivative of a function y with respect to x. Other notations, such as the prime notation (y') and the Lagrange notation (f'(x)), are also used.

4. How do I know which notation to use in the chain rule?

The notation used in the chain rule depends on personal preference and the context of the problem. However, it is important to be consistent with the notation used throughout the problem to avoid confusion. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the different notations and their meanings.

5. Can I use the chain rule for any composite function?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any composite function, as long as the smaller functions that make up the composite function are differentiable. It is important to remember to use the chain rule when the function is not in a simple form, and to simplify the derivative by using the correct notation.