Chain Rule Trig Derivative Problem

In summary: If you understand the concept of composite functions, you're 90% there. Just keep playing with it, and try to see what the "pattern" is.
Burjam

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of y = sin(πx)2

Homework Equations

Chain Rule: y' = f'(u) * u'

The Attempt at a Solution

(See attached image)

The answer according to the textbook is 2π2xcos(πx)2. What am I doing wrong here?

Attachments

• 2012-11-08_21-25-58_271.jpg
    2012-11-08_21-25-58_271.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org
Burjam said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(See attached image)

The answer according to the textbook is 2π2xcos(πx)2. What am I doing wrong here?

I really can't tell what you are doing. What are using for f and u when you use the chain rule you stated?

Burjam said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(See attached image)

Write your function as

y = sin((πx)2)

or as

y = sin(π2x2)

That may help you apply the chain rule correctly.

Ok I did it by counting u as (π*x)2. When I took the derivative of that and made sin(πx)2 into cos(πx)2 I got the correct answer. But I don't see why you don't make it 2cos(πx)(2π2x). That's how I got my initial answer. I only was able to get the correct answer by trying different things until it worked.

Burjam said:
Ok I did it by counting u as (π*x)2. When I took the derivative of that and made sin(πx)2 into cos(πx)2 I got the correct answer. But I don't see why you don't make it 2cos(πx)(2π2x). That's how I got my initial answer. I only was able to get the correct answer by trying different things until it worked.

What did you use for f and u to get 2cos(πx)(2π2x)??

Well I just said what I used u as. I used cos u as f

Have you ever tried www.wolframalpha.com it can help with basic computations like these.

But as you know... this is the equivalent of sin^2(∏x) where ∏ is a constant. so you apply the chain rule using U substitution. where U= sin(∏x). so you've got a double chain rule case...

where U^2 derivative is 2ududx so you wind up with 2 sin(∏x)*cos(∏x)*∏ then you just get
2∏sin(∏x)cos(∏x)

A good way to do this is to break it down so its easier to apply the chain rule for derivation.

I'll assume we are considering the function [itex]f(x)=\sin((\pi x)^2)[/itex].

To break this down, define the function [itex]S(x)=x^2[/itex].

Also, define the function [itex]g(x)=\pi x[/itex].

(Note that these [itex]x[/itex] parameters in these function definitions are not some same variable [itex]x[/itex], but just a dummy variable/parameter.)

Therefore, [itex]f(x)[/itex] can be rewritten as [itex](\sin \circ S \circ g)(x)=\sin(S(g(x )))[/itex].

Now, it is much easier to apply the chain rule, which turns out to be a triple application of it, here:

[itex]f^{\prime}(x)=\sin^{\prime}(S(g(x))) \cdot \frac{d}{dx} (S(g(x)))[/itex]
[itex]\therefore f^{\prime}(x) = \cos(S(g(x))) \cdot S^{\prime}(g(x)) \cdot \frac{d}{dx} (g(x))[/itex]
[itex]\therefore f^{\prime}(x) = \cos(S(g(x))) \cdot (2 \cdot g(x)) \cdot g^{\prime}(x) \cdot \frac{d}{dx} (x)[/itex]

I guess it might appear a bit tedious to define even more functions than you already have, but it makes application of the chain rule even more clear. Of course, once you get better at this, you'll be able to do this extra work mentally (I still do it sometimes, though, ^_^)

Burjam said:
Well I just said what I used u as. I used cos u as f

No, you didn't. If you had used f(u)=cos(u) then you would have have had f'(u)=(-sin(u)) in your answer. You've got a perfectly good formula for the chain rule, you just aren't using it.

5hassay said:
A good way to do this is to break it down so its easier to apply the chain rule for derivation.

I'll assume we are considering the function [itex]f(x)=\sin((\pi x)^2)[/itex].

To break this down, define the function [itex]S(x)=x^2[/itex].

Also, define the function [itex]g(x)=\pi x[/itex].

(Note that these [itex]x[/itex] parameters in these function definitions are not some same variable [itex]x[/itex], but just a dummy variable/parameter.)

Therefore, [itex]f(x)[/itex] can be rewritten as [itex](\sin \circ S \circ g)(x)=\sin(S(g(x )))[/itex].

Now, it is much easier to apply the chain rule, which turns out to be a triple application of it, here:

[itex]f^{\prime}(x)=\sin^{\prime}(S(g(x))) \cdot \frac{d}{dx} (S(g(x)))[/itex]
[itex]\therefore f^{\prime}(x) = \cos(S(g(x))) \cdot S^{\prime}(g(x)) \cdot \frac{d}{dx} (g(x))[/itex]
[itex]\therefore f^{\prime}(x) = \cos(S(g(x))) \cdot (2 \cdot g(x)) \cdot g^{\prime}(x) \cdot \frac{d}{dx} (x)[/itex]

I guess it might appear a bit tedious to define even more functions than you already have, but it makes application of the chain rule even more clear. Of course, once you get better at this, you'll be able to do this extra work mentally (I still do it sometimes, though, ^_^)

Practice makes perfect, I can see. Well thanks for the help. I think I understand this a little better now.

Burjam said:
Practice makes perfect, I can see. Well thanks for the help. I think I understand this a little better now.

haha, yeah, definitely. Yeah, I remember finding the chain rule a little weird. Just sit on it for a bit, and don't worry if it doesn't make "perfect sense" immediately.

What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a method for finding the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

How do I use the chain rule to find the derivative of a trigonometric function?

To use the chain rule for a trigonometric function, you first need to identify the outer function (e.g. sin, cos, tan) and the inner function (e.g. x, 2x, 3x^2). Then, you take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. Finally, substitute the inner function back into the derivative of the outer function to complete the chain rule.

Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of more complicated functions by breaking them down into simpler functions. This is especially useful in mathematics and science, where many real-world problems involve composite functions.

What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule for trigonometric functions?

Some common mistakes when using the chain rule for trigonometric functions include forgetting to take the derivative of the outer function, forgetting to substitute the inner function back into the derivative of the outer function, and making errors in the derivative of the inner function.

Can the chain rule be used for other types of functions?

Yes, the chain rule can be used for other types of functions besides trigonometric functions. It can be used for any composite function, where the input of one function is the output of another function. This includes exponential, logarithmic, and polynomial functions.