Challenges with Induction Proofs: Strategies and Solutions

In summary: Yes, but there's nothing to stop ekko proving it for n = 1 2 and 3 just by working it out for those values, and then starting the induction from there! :smile:
ekko
hello, i am having some trouble with a few induction problems.

1) Prove by induction that for all natural numbers n, n^2 + 3 < 2^n + 5.

2) Prove by induction that for all natural numbers n, (1-1/2)(1-1/4)...(1-1/(2^n)) > or equal to 1/4 + 1/(2^(n+1)).

i got started on these but ran into dead-ends for both of them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi ekko! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us the first few lines of your attempt at 1) :smile:

if n>3 i could easily prove the first one, but for every n from naturals, i am going to have to have a closer look at it!

ok well for 1) i first state that 1^2 +3 = 4 and 2^1 + 5 = 7, so 4 < 7. Therefore the statement is true for n = 1. then i assume that for some natural number n, n^2 +3 < 2^n + 5, and i have to prove from this that (n+1)^2 +3 < 2^(n+1) + 5. so first i multiplied both sides by 2 (which doesn't change the < because 2 is positive), which gives me 2*(n^2) + 6 < 2^(n+1) +10. Then I subtracted 5 from both sides and got 2*(n^2) + 1 < 2^(n+1) + 5. Now the right side of the statement looks like what i want to prove, but i can't figure out how the make the left side equal (n+1)^2 +3 .

It doesn't have to be equal, it can also be more :smile:
For example:

(n + 1)^2 + 3 = n^2 + 2n + 2 + 3 = (n^2 + 3) + 2n + 2
Now use the induction hypothesis to make an estimate or a series of estimates:
(n + 1)^2 + 3 < ... <= ... <= ... < 2^(n+1) + 5

i still don't get it. i don't know which estimates to use to make the proof work. i have to get from (n+1)^2 + 3 < ... <= ... <= ... 2*(n^2) +1 < 2^(n+1) +5. one thing i can do is expand this to n^2 + 2n +1 + 3 < ... n^2 + n^2 + 2n +4 < 2*(n^2) +2n +4, but how is that last term less than or equal to 2*(n^2) +1?

ekko said:
i still don't get it. i don't know which estimates to use to make the proof work. i have to get from (n+1)^2 + 3 < ... <= ... <= ... 2*(n^2) +1 < 2^(n+1) +5. one thing i can do is expand this to n^2 + 2n +1 + 3 < ... n^2 + n^2 + 2n +4 < 2*(n^2) +2n +4, but how is that last term less than or equal to 2*(n^2) +1?

Yes, that's what I tried first : and it doesn't seem to work! :redface:

Then I tried a few examples, comparing n^2 with 2^n, and for n = 1 … 5, the pairs come out as:
1,2; 4,4; 9,8; 16,16; 25,32;
so obviously the n^2 is increasing by (1 + 1/n)^2, but the 2^n is increasing by 2;
once 1/n < √2 - 1, the 2^n always increases faster!
1/n < √2 - 1 = .414 means n ≥ 3.

That's the principle, ekko - now see if you can write it out properly! :smile:

(And then show us the first few lines of your attempt at 2).)

yeah, that is exactly whit i tried out, and like i said on my post #3 it is valid for n>3, it doesn't even work for n=3. And once we have set this extra condition the proof is quite straightforward.

sutupidmath said:
yeah, that is exactly whit i tried out, and like i said on my post #3 it is valid for n>3, it doesn't even work for n=3.

Yes, but there's nothing to stop ekko proving it for n = 1 2 and 3 just by working it out for those values, and then starting the induction from there! :smile:

Related to Challenges with Induction Proofs: Strategies and Solutions

1. What is the purpose of an induction proof?

An induction proof is a mathematical technique used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It is used to provide a general rule or formula for a pattern that is observed in a finite number of cases.

2. How does an induction proof work?

An induction proof works by first proving that the statement is true for the smallest possible value, usually 0 or 1. Then, assuming that the statement is true for some arbitrary value, we use this assumption to prove that it is also true for the next value. This process is repeated until we can conclude that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid in an induction proof?

One common mistake in an induction proof is assuming that the statement is true for a value without actually proving it. Another mistake is using the wrong variable in the inductive step. It is also important to make sure that the base case is indeed the smallest possible value.

4. Can an induction proof be used for all types of statements?

No, an induction proof can only be used for statements that can be expressed in terms of natural numbers. It cannot be used for statements that involve real numbers or other types of mathematical objects.

5. Are there any alternative methods to induction proofs?

Yes, there are other proof techniques such as direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by counterexample. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of statements, but they may also require a higher level of mathematical knowledge.