1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Chances in applying for a PhD in Physics (DFT)

1. Jun 19, 2006 #1
    Hi All!

I was wondering what are my chances in applying for a PhD in physics...
    I have a master's degree, I was involved in some computational stuff in Density Functional Theory, I also graduated in this field. My problem is, that I have not been some eager-beaver guy with my studies, therefore I have no articles with my name on them, no references...
    How can a guy like me apply for some PhD in physics? As far as I know, I have no chance, for example, to write an article, if I am not a student of a university, and I have almost no chance to apply for a PhD without some references, even I would be some genious... I looked after some opportunities at some universities tho. They don't say anything about what references do I need to succeed with my application, but only two things :
    - GRE General English exam has to be passed,
    - At least two references have to be presented from some of my professors.
    These two things I can deal with...

Is there a place, where it is enough?

Please cheer me up... :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2006 #2

t!m

Getting published before graduate school is very difficult to do, and most students applying for a PhD program probably have not been published in a peer-reviewed journal. The fact that you have your masters and (I assume) a significant amount of research experience makes me think you should be fine. I doubt any school will discount your application on the sole basis of having never been published.

4. Jun 21, 2006 #3
    Thanks t!m!

It's just good to hear things go different from place to place. In my country you have almost no chance to apply for a PhD without any published articles.
    Anyway... about what "properties" are the applicants selected then? No university can just say it would give a position for all the students who have just applied for one... Does it matter where one comes from?
    (Guess it does, but that's not good for me, I think.)

5. Jun 21, 2006 #4
    But didn't you already ask about this in the "How to continue my studies" thread ? Have you already tried applying to IMEC ?

Marlon

6. Jun 22, 2006 #5
    Hey marlon!

Good to "see" you again! :)

I haven't tried applying to IMEC yet, because some stuff have to be collected first. I have to pass the GRE general, get some references...
    I already have written some letters, tho.
    I'm just curious about my opportunities. IMEC looks fine, PhD research areas are more then fine, but the fact is, that I come from a somewhat nonename university from a little country. I think that does matter and it shortens my chances, so I decided to look around a bit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?