Chances of getting one particular number one or more times in 6 dice rolls.

In summary, the conversation discusses probability and how it applies to various scenarios. The participants discuss the chances of getting a specific outcome, such as rolling a certain number on a dice or flipping a coin a certain number of times. They also mention the use of probability trees and how they can provide a visual representation of probabilities. Additionally, they bring up the concept of independent events and how it affects the calculation of probabilities. The conversation ends with a discussion about a more complicated scenario involving a woman giving away candy to children.
Pereza0
Its something I've been asking myself. I am studying physics, but I haven't studied anything related to probability since before high school

I mean, for example, the chance of getting tails after one throw is 50%, after two throws 75%, after three throws 87,5% and so on... (right?)

Say, you roll a dice 6 times. You trying to get a number, say, 2.

What is the chance of getting a single 2 after the six rolls?
What is the chance of getting two 2s after the six rolls?

I just want to know how probability stacks up, and if there's a formula to determine it.

Now for something a little more complicated.

Imagine there's some woman giving away candy to children.

now say each kid gets five chances to pick from a bag with one sweet and a changing number pieces of coal. If you pick up the sweet, she'll put another one for you to pick up the next time. (So there's a chance youll end up with five sweets)

1st time
50 sweet
2nd time
40 sweets
3rd time
35 sweets
4 time
30 sweets
5th time
20 sweets

I made up the problems, so feel free to change the data, or not even comment about them.
I just want to get a decent grasp on it

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to revise probability trees, they will explain things much better and give a better visual of how probabilities in these situations work.

With your coin flip scenario you are going the wrong way, you have a 50% chance the first time, but to calculate the probability the second time you have to multiply the first probability of a tails by the second probabilty, i.e. 1/2 X 1/2 (a coin flip is independant therefore the probabilities stay the same), which would give you 25%. The third time you would have 1/2 X 1/2 X 1/2 giving a probability of 12.5% for getting tails three times in a row.
This can also be applied to your dice question in the same way just with different probabilites (1/6). So rolling 2 twice in a row would have a probability of 1/6 X 1/6 = 1/36.

With the bag thing you said there is just 1 sweet the sentence but in the list there is a varying number of sweets... but I hope this simple scenario will help:
You have a biased coin, 3/4 heads, 1/4 tails say. You flip (to keep things simple) twice. To find the probabilty of getting a head and a tails you have to consider there are two routes in getting this result; heads then tails and vice versa. The probabilty of each route is calculates by multiplying the probabilities both giving an answer of 3/16. But as both routes give you a head and a tails you have to add them together to get 6/16.

Sorry if this wasnt very clear!

Related to Chances of getting one particular number one or more times in 6 dice rolls.

1. What is the probability of rolling a specific number at least once in 6 dice rolls?

The probability of rolling a specific number at least once in 6 dice rolls is approximately 66.51%. This can be calculated by subtracting the probability of not rolling the specific number at all (33.49%) from 100%.

2. How does the probability change if we roll multiple dice at once?

The probability of rolling a specific number at least once increases as more dice are rolled. For example, if we roll 12 dice at once, the probability of rolling a specific number at least once increases to 93.10%.

3. What is the chance of rolling a specific number exactly once in 6 dice rolls?

The probability of rolling a specific number exactly once in 6 dice rolls is approximately 21.70%. This can be calculated by multiplying the probability of rolling the specific number (16.67%) by the probability of not rolling it in the remaining rolls (83.33%).

4. Is it possible to calculate the chances of getting multiple specific numbers in 6 dice rolls?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the chances of getting multiple specific numbers in 6 dice rolls. This can be done by multiplying the individual probabilities of rolling each specific number.

5. How does the probability change if we use different types of dice?

The probability of rolling a specific number at least once in 6 rolls may change if we use different types of dice, such as a 10-sided or 20-sided die. However, the general principles of probability and calculating the chances of rolling a specific number remain the same.