Change in internal engergy of a monatomic ideal gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
alexthelion
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A monatomic ideal gas expands from 1.00 meters cubed to 2.50 meters cubed at a constant pressure of 2.00 x 10^5 Pa. Find the change in the internal energy of the gas.



Homework Equations



[tex]\Delta[/tex]U = Q + W

The Attempt at a Solution



Well, I know how to find work, which is -P[tex]\Delta[/tex]V

But I'm having trouble finding the energy transferred into the system by heat, or Q, because the problem does not give a specific value for it.

I would much appreciate it if someone could give me some pointers as to how to find Q.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't exactly know, I do know that [tex]\Delta[/tex]U = 3/2nR[tex]\Delta[/tex]T for a monatomic gas, where the molar specific heat is given by Cv = 3/2R
 
If you know CV, then Cp = CV + R. Also at constant pressure Q = n CpΔT. Now you can put it together.