Change of basis of density matrix

In summary: I think it would help to distinguish between the two. The density operator is just a matrix that represents how densely each point in the density matrix is packed. The density matrix is the actual structure of the points in the space. The density operator is not related to the eigenvalues or eigenvectors of the density matrix. If you want to change the basis of your density matrix, you need to change the density operator as well.
Bizarre123
I have a density matrix in one basis and need to change it to another. I know the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of the basis I want to change to. How do I do this?

Any help really appreciated- thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
All I can say is that TRACE(ρA) is basis independent.

Thanks- but in this case I need to know more than the trace?

Any other base state can be represented as a linear combination of original base states(complete).So may be by equality of traces some relation can be obtained for it.

If your density matrix is ρ = Σ|i>pij<j| in the original basis with states |i> and probabilities pij, and the new basis states are |α>, then expand the old basis in terms of the new: |i> = Σ|α><α|i>. This gives you ρ = ΣΣΣ|α><α|i>pij<j|β><β| = Σ|α>Pαβ<β| where Pαβ = ΣΣ<α|i>pij<j|β>.

By using the matrix identities:
[tex]
\mathbf{\rho} \cdot \mathbf{U} = \mathbf{U} \cdot \mathbf{\Lambda}
[/tex]
where U is a unitary matrix ([itex]\mathbf{U}^{\dagger} \cdot \mathbf{U} = \mathbf{U} \cdot \mathbf{U}^{\dagger} = 1[/itex]) whose columns are the normalized eigenvectors of the density matrix, and [itex]\Lambda[/itex] is a diagonal matrix with the corresponding eigenvalues along the main diagonal.

I think we should distinguish between the density matrix ρmn and the density operator ρ.

Using a basis {|n>} this reads

[tex]\rho = \sum_{mn}\rho_{mn}|m\rangle\langle n|[/tex]

Now let's introduce a different basis {|k'>}

[tex]\rho = \sum_{k^\prime} |k^\prime\rangle\langle k^\prime| \;\;\sum_{mn}\rho_{mn}|m\rangle\langle n|\;\; \sum_{l^\prime} |l^\prime\rangle\langle l^\prime| = \sum_{k^\prime l^\prime} \left(\sum_{mn}\langle k^\prime|m\rangle\,\rho_{mn}\,\langle n|l^\prime\rangle \right) |k^\prime\rangle\langle l^\prime| = \sum_{k^\prime l^\prime}\rho_{k^\prime l^\prime} |k^\prime\rangle\langle l^\prime|[/tex]

The change-of-basis identity:
[tex]
\rho_{k' l'} = \sum_{m n}{\langle k' \vert m \rangle \, \rho_{m n} \, \langle n \vert l' \rangle}
[/tex]
with the identification of the matrix:
[tex]
U_{n l'} \equiv \langle n \vert l'\rangle
[/tex]
can be rewritten as:
[tex]
\mathbf{\rho}' = \mathbf{U}^{\dagger} \cdot \mathbf{\rho} \cdot \mathbf{U}
[/tex]
where we used the fact that:
[tex]
\hat{U}^{\dagger}_{k' m} = U^{\ast}_{m k'} = (\langle m \vert k' \rangle)^{\ast} = \langle k' \vert m \rangle
[/tex]

The unitarity of the similarity transformation matrix U is an expression of the orthonormality of the old and new bases:
[tex]
\langle m \vert n \rangle = \sum_{k'} {\langle m \vert k' \rangle \, \langle k' \vert n \rangle} = \sum_{k'} {U_{m k'} \, U^{\dagger}_{k' n}} = \left[\mathbf{U} \cdot \mathbf{U}^{\dagger}\right]_{m n} = \delta_{m n} \Rightarrow \mathbf{U} \cdot \mathbf{U}^{\dagger} = \mathbf{1}
[/tex]
[tex]
\langle k' \vert l' \rangle = \sum_{m} \langle k' \vert m \rangle \, \langle m \vert l' \rangle = \sum_{m} U^{\dagger}_{k' m} \, U_{m l'} = \left[ \mathbf{U}^{\dagger} \cdot \mathbf{U} \right]_{k' l'} = \delta_{k' l'} \Rightarrow \mathbf{U}^{\dagger} \cdot \mathbf{U} = \mathbf{1}
[/tex]

exactly - I hope Bizarre123 is still interested ;-)

Thanks for the replies- they've been really helpful! Yes, I was getting the density operator and the density matrix confused.

What is a density matrix?

A density matrix is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that describes the probabilities of the system being in different states. It is represented by a square matrix and contains information about the state of the system, including its energy levels and coherence.

What does it mean to change the basis of a density matrix?

Changing the basis of a density matrix involves transforming the matrix from one set of basis states to another set of basis states. This allows for a different perspective on the quantum system and can simplify calculations and analysis.

Why would someone want to change the basis of a density matrix?

Changing the basis of a density matrix can be useful for simplifying calculations and analysis of a quantum system. It can also provide a different perspective on the system, which may be helpful for understanding its behavior or making predictions.

How is the change of basis of a density matrix performed?

The change of basis of a density matrix is typically performed using linear algebra operations, such as matrix multiplication and transformation. The specific method will depend on the basis states being used and the desired outcome.

What are some applications of changing the basis of a density matrix?

Changing the basis of a density matrix can be useful in various fields such as quantum computing, quantum chemistry, and quantum information theory. It can help in simplifying calculations and predicting the behavior of quantum systems, which has implications for the development of new technologies and understanding the fundamental nature of matter and energy.