Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of basis of density matrix

1. Nov 24, 2012 #1
    I have a density matrix in one basis and need to change it to another. I know the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of the basis I want to change to. How do I do this?

Any help really appreciated- thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2012 #2
    All I can say is that TRACE(ρA) is basis independent.

4. Nov 25, 2012 #3
    Thanks- but in this case I need to know more than the trace?

5. Nov 25, 2012 #4
    Any other base state can be represented as a linear combination of original base states(complete).So may be by equality of traces some relation can be obtained for it.

6. Nov 25, 2012 #5

Bill_K

Science Advisor

If your density matrix is ρ = Σ|i>pij<j| in the original basis with states |i> and probabilities pij, and the new basis states are |α>, then expand the old basis in terms of the new: |i> = Σ|α><α|i>. This gives you ρ = ΣΣΣ|α><α|i>pij<j|β><β| = Σ|α>Pαβ<β| where Pαβ = ΣΣ<α|i>pij<j|β>.

7. Nov 25, 2012 #6
    By using the matrix identities:
    [tex]
    \mathbf{\rho} \cdot \mathbf{U} = \mathbf{U} \cdot \mathbf{\Lambda}
    [/tex]
    where U is a unitary matrix ([itex]\mathbf{U}^{\dagger} \cdot \mathbf{U} = \mathbf{U} \cdot \mathbf{U}^{\dagger} = 1[/itex]) whose columns are the normalized eigenvectors of the density matrix, and [itex]\Lambda[/itex] is a diagonal matrix with the corresponding eigenvalues along the main diagonal.

8. Nov 26, 2012 #7

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

I think we should distinguish between the density matrix ρmn and the density operator ρ.

Using a basis {|n>} this reads

[tex]\rho = \sum_{mn}\rho_{mn}|m\rangle\langle n|[/tex]

Now let's introduce a different basis {|k'>}

[tex]\rho = \sum_{k^\prime} |k^\prime\rangle\langle k^\prime| \;\;\sum_{mn}\rho_{mn}|m\rangle\langle n|\;\; \sum_{l^\prime} |l^\prime\rangle\langle l^\prime| = \sum_{k^\prime l^\prime} \left(\sum_{mn}\langle k^\prime|m\rangle\,\rho_{mn}\,\langle n|l^\prime\rangle \right) |k^\prime\rangle\langle l^\prime| = \sum_{k^\prime l^\prime}\rho_{k^\prime l^\prime} |k^\prime\rangle\langle l^\prime|[/tex]

9. Nov 26, 2012 #8
    The change-of-basis identity:
    [tex]
    \rho_{k' l'} = \sum_{m n}{\langle k' \vert m \rangle \, \rho_{m n} \, \langle n \vert l' \rangle}
    [/tex]
    with the identification of the matrix:
    [tex]
    U_{n l'} \equiv \langle n \vert l'\rangle
    [/tex]
    can be rewritten as:
    [tex]
    \mathbf{\rho}' = \mathbf{U}^{\dagger} \cdot \mathbf{\rho} \cdot \mathbf{U}
    [/tex]
    where we used the fact that:
    [tex]
    \hat{U}^{\dagger}_{k' m} = U^{\ast}_{m k'} = (\langle m \vert k' \rangle)^{\ast} = \langle k' \vert m \rangle
    [/tex]

The unitarity of the similarity transformation matrix U is an expression of the orthonormality of the old and new bases:
    [tex]
    \langle m \vert n \rangle = \sum_{k'} {\langle m \vert k' \rangle \, \langle k' \vert n \rangle} = \sum_{k'} {U_{m k'} \, U^{\dagger}_{k' n}} = \left[\mathbf{U} \cdot \mathbf{U}^{\dagger}\right]_{m n} = \delta_{m n} \Rightarrow \mathbf{U} \cdot \mathbf{U}^{\dagger} = \mathbf{1}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \langle k' \vert l' \rangle = \sum_{m} \langle k' \vert m \rangle \, \langle m \vert l' \rangle = \sum_{m} U^{\dagger}_{k' m} \, U_{m l'} = \left[ \mathbf{U}^{\dagger} \cdot \mathbf{U} \right]_{k' l'} = \delta_{k' l'} \Rightarrow \mathbf{U}^{\dagger} \cdot \mathbf{U} = \mathbf{1}
    [/tex]

10. Nov 26, 2012 #9

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

exactly - I hope Bizarre123 is still interested ;-)

11. Nov 27, 2012 #10
    Thanks for the replies- they've been really helpful! Yes, I was getting the density operator and the density matrix confused.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook