Change of coordinate/Reflection Linear Algebra Problem

In summary, the problem is to find an expression for the reflection T(x,y) of R^2 about the line y=mx, where m is not zero. The change of coordinate matrix Q and the relationship between the matrix representation of [T]_B' = Q^-1*[T]_B*Q are needed for this problem. The author attempts to solve the problem by setting up a transformation that reflects about the x-axis and the y-axis, and finding a change of coordinate matrix. However, they are unsure about how to find B'. The author also mentions an alternative method of rotating the line to an axis, reflecting, then rotating back, which would result in a matrix product. The given answer in the book is
quasar_4
Change of coordinate/Reflection Linear Algebra Problem!

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, so here I am yet again :blushing:.

In R^2 let L be the line y=mx, where m is not zero. Find an expression for T(x,y) where T is the reflection of R^2 about L.

Homework Equations

A transformation that reflects about the x-axis is given by T(x,y) = (x, -y) while one about the y-axis is T(x,y)=(-x,y).
The change of coordinate matrix Q is given by x'_j = (summation) (Q_ij) (x_i)
(sorry, not sure how to add symbols into these windows), and we probably also need the relationship that the matrix representation of [T]_B' = Q^-1*[T]_B*Q where B' and B are ordered bases for R^2.

Also, the equation of a line in slope-intercept form is y = mx + b. A line orthogonal to this would be y = - x/m +b.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if we are talking about reflection about a line L with slope m, that reflection will occur for lines orthogonal to L with slope -1/m. I thought that I could set it up as follows:

For any ordered pair (x,y) on L, let T(x,y) = (x,y) since the line itself is invariant under transformation. Then consider some (-x,y) on a line L' that is perpendicular to L (it could've been (x, -y), but it there is no loss of generality with what I have). For T(-x,y) = -(-x, y) = (x, -y).

If we let B be the standard ordered basis for R^2, we can let B' = {(1,1),(-1,1)}. Then we get the change of coordinate matrix (noted here as columns) Q = ((1 1) (1 -1)}, and Q^-1 = {(-1 -1) (-1 1)}.

For [T]_B we have ((1 0) (0,-1)}. Then it is easy to find [T]_B' = Q^-1*[T]_B*Q.

From that answer, which should be a 2*2 matrix, it appears that T is left multiplication by [T]_B. Thus for any (x,y) in R^2 I can say

T(x,y) = [T]_B*((x) (y)) = some set of equations.

Basically, I am lost at the beginning point where I need to decide what B' and Q are. Once I get those, I think the rest of this will work. I kind of just guessed by saying that B'={(1,1),(-1,1)} -- I'm just not sure how to get this step to work.

Or should my B' be something more like (x,y), (-x,y) with x and y in it? I am very confused about how to find a B'.

For reference, the answer in the back of my books is:

T(x,y) = (1/m^2)*((1-m^2)x + 2my, 2mx + (m^2 -1)y). I have NO idea how this ordered pair is supposed to emerge. :bugeye: Maybe my entire method is wrong. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try rotating by an angle -\theta so that the line goes to an axis (say x-axis), followed by reflection, followed by rotating back by \theta? This amounts to a matrix product.

1. What is a change of coordinate and why is it important in linear algebra?

A change of coordinate is a mathematical transformation used to change the basis of a vector space. In linear algebra, it is important because it allows us to simplify calculations and solve problems in a more efficient way. It also helps us visualize and understand geometric concepts such as rotation and reflection.

2. How do you find the new coordinates after a change of basis in linear algebra?

To find the new coordinates after a change of basis, we use a transformation matrix. This matrix is obtained by expressing the new basis vectors in terms of the old basis vectors. To find the new coordinates of a vector, we multiply the transformation matrix by the vector in the old basis.

3. What is the difference between active and passive transformations in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, active transformations involve changing the coordinates of the points in a vector space, while keeping the basis fixed. Passive transformations, on the other hand, involve changing the basis vectors while keeping the coordinates of the points fixed. Both types of transformations can be used to represent the same geometric concept, but the matrix representation will be different.

4. How does reflection work in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, reflection is a geometric transformation that flips an object across a line or plane. This can also be represented by a matrix operation, where the reflection vector is reflected across a line or plane defined by a vector or set of vectors. Reflection is important in solving problems involving symmetry and understanding the properties of shapes in higher dimensions.

5. Can change of coordinates and reflection be applied in real-life applications?

Yes, change of coordinates and reflection have numerous real-life applications. In physics, they are used to study the behavior of objects in different frames of reference. In computer graphics, they are used to create 3D effects and animations. They are also used in engineering, robotics, and navigation systems to transform and analyze data in different coordinate systems.