1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of Variables in Tripple Integrals

1. Aug 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In double integrals, the change of variables is fairly easy to understand. With u = constant and v = constant, along line KL v = constant so dv = 0. Therefore the only contributing variable to ∂x and ∂y is ∂v.

3. The attempt at a solution

However, in tripple integrals, you're simply adding one more w = constant that gives the 3rd dimension (the height to the initial flat-surfaced parallelogram before).

So as you move along a line PQ (which is formed by say u = constant), then won't BOTH v and w contribute to ∂x, ∂y and ∂z since only u is constant?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2012 #2
    Are you aware of the Jacobian determinant?

4. Aug 14, 2012 #3
    In 3D, the object defined by a constant coordinate is a surface, not a line. z = 0 defines a plane, for instance, doesn't it?

They're saying that along PQ two coordinates are constant because that's where two surfaces of (different) constant coordinates intersect.

In short, for 3D:

No coordinates constant: a volume
    1 coordinate constant: a plane
    2 coordinates constant: a line
    All 3 coordinates constant: a point

5. Aug 14, 2012 #4
    Hmm I think I got it! For example, u = constant family of curves define the x-y plane, while v = constant define the y-z plane etc... the line is at intersection of the 2 planes where they cut one another.

Therefore, since the line lies on both plane x-y and y-z, v and u must be constant!

6. Aug 14, 2012 #5
    Am I right to say that in the new coordinate surfaces u, v and w they need not necessarily be at right angles to one another as in x, y and z?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  7. Aug 14, 2012 #6
    In the picture attached there is a parallelepiped. My question is, what happens if plane ABCD is not vertical, like it slants into the page then the corresponding shape will not be of a parallelpiped? As in it slants into the page, making an angle with AC.

Attached Files:

8. Aug 14, 2012 #7
    That's correct. The coordinate system need not be orthogonal.

The parallelipiped is still a parallelpiped as long as the corresponding surface opposite ABCD slants the same way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook