Change variable of integration from dy to d(y/δ)

In summary, the conversation discusses changing the variable of integration from y to y/δ in an equation involving the derivative of an integral. The solution involves replacing dy with δd(y/δ) and changing the limits of integration from 0 to y to 0 to 1. The participants also confirm that the solution is correct.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I have this mess of an equation:

[tex]
\frac{d\delta}{dx}\int_{y=0}^\delta g\,g'\frac{y}{\delta^2}\,dy +
\frac{d\delta}{dx}\int_{y=0}^\delta g'\frac{y}{\delta^2}\,dy =
g'\frac{1}{\delta}|_{y=0}^\delta
\qquad(1)[/tex]

and I want to change the variable of integration from y to y/δ. Also note that g is a function of the independent variable (y/δ)

Homework Equations

I know that my limits must change from 0 to y into 0 to 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
\frac{d\delta}{dx}\int_{y/\delta=0}^1 g\,g'\frac{y}{\delta^2}\,d(y/\delta) +
\frac{d\delta}{dx}\int_{y/\delta=0}^1 g'\frac{y}{\delta^2}\,d(y/\delta) =
g'\frac{1}{\delta}|_{y/\delta=0}^1
\qquad(2)[/tex]Note that in (2), all I did was change the limits and I replaced dy everywhere with d(y/δ).

Is that correct? I feel like I am missing something else here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is how the change of variables should go:

Let σ(y) = y/δ

dσ = d(y/δ) = dy/δ (edit: have assumed that δ is indep. of y here)

→ dy = δdσ = δd(y/δ)

So, everywhere in your original equation that you see dy, you must replace it with δd(y/δ). If I understand you right, you have not included these factors of δ in front.

Now for the limits of integration:

lower limit: σ(y=0) = 0/δ = 0

upper limit: σ(y=δ) = δ/δ = 1

So you did those right.

Nice catch cepheid! I had tried doing something similar but somehow worked myself in a circle!

1. Why do we need to change the variable of integration from dy to d(y/δ)?

Changing the variable of integration from dy to d(y/δ) allows us to integrate with respect to a scaled variable, which can make the integration process simpler and more efficient. It also helps us to better understand the relationship between different variables in the equation.

2. How do we change the variable of integration from dy to d(y/δ)?

To change the variable of integration from dy to d(y/δ), we use the substitution method. This involves expressing the new variable (y/δ) in terms of the old variable (y), and then replacing all instances of y with (y/δ) in the integral.

3. What is the purpose of scaling the variable in the integration process?

The purpose of scaling the variable in the integration process is to simplify and streamline the integration process. By scaling the variable, we can eliminate any unnecessary constants or coefficients, making the resulting integral easier to solve.

4. Are there any limitations to changing the variable of integration from dy to d(y/δ)?

Yes, there are limitations to changing the variable of integration from dy to d(y/δ). This method is only applicable when the integral has a definite boundary, and the new variable (y/δ) can be expressed in terms of the old variable (y).

5. Can we change the variable of integration to any other variable besides d(y/δ)?

Yes, we can change the variable of integration to any other variable as long as it satisfies the necessary conditions for integration. The choice of the new variable may depend on the complexity of the integral and what makes the integration process easier. Commonly used substitutions include d(u), d(v), and d(z).