1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing/Controling relative permeability

1. Jun 11, 2010 #1
    Hey everyone,

I've been looking at metamaterials, and it's quite an overwhelming subtopic to be introduced to. Most of the stuff I'm finding has to do with negative permeabilities. I'm wondering how exactly we control what relative permeability a material has and how fine that control is, not just so that its a negative value, but that it's any value other than what you'd measure if you found it in nature?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The most common is to create a resonant structure such that the permeability and permittivity resonate like in a plasma. If you recall, the resonanct behavior causes the imaginary part to peak and the real part to change sign. By controlling the resonances, we can get both the permeability and permittivity to be negative at the same time in addition to hopefully have a small amount of loss. Such resonances can be done naturally by exciting surface plasmons in nanoparticles. If we permeate a material with nanoparticles and excite a surface plasmon on the particles, then the bulk effect is like there is a plasma behavior throughout the material itself. Or we can build a unit cell that exhibits resonant behavior (like an L-C circuit) and build up a material off of these unit cells.

In the end, what we have to do is use distributed effects to get the behavior that we want. So must of the time you will be dealing with periodic structures.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook