Efficient File Name Changes: How to Automate the Process with Programming

• Thread starter n1person
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, the person is seeking a simple way to change the file naming style of a folder containing over a thousand files. They are currently considering using a program or a Windows file manager add-on to accomplish this task. They also mentioned the possibility of using code from <io.h> or <stdio.h> to rename the files.
n1person
Hello all,

I have another little computer problem to deal with. I have a folder full of files (over a thousand) with the basic form KJ(number)-j(another number).txt, and I want to change the style to (number)(another number).txt. Is there any simple way to do this as the only way I can think of is a program which opens the file, opens a new file, copies the contents from the open file to the new file, and closes the two files, which seems timely and rather inefficient.

Thanks for your help!

Technology news on Phys.org
There is also the more general problem of turning (2 random letters)(number)-(2 other random letters)(another number).txt --> (number)(another number).txt

<io.h> or <stdio.h>

int rename(
const char *oldname,
const char *newname
);

Such things can be located just by googling.

I understand the importance of efficiency and automation in tasks such as file management. In this case, I would suggest using a programming language, such as Python or Perl, to automate the file name change process. These languages have built-in functions that can easily manipulate file names and contents, making it a quick and efficient solution. Alternatively, you could also use a bulk file renaming software to achieve the same result. Whichever method you choose, it is important to have a backup of your files before making any changes to avoid any potential data loss. I hope this helps and good luck with your file management task.

1. How can I change the name of a file in C?

To change the name of a file in C, you can use the rename() function. This function takes two arguments: the current name of the file and the new name you want to give it. For example, if you have a file called "old_name.txt" and you want to rename it to "new_name.txt", you would use rename("old_name.txt", "new_name.txt").

2. Can I change the extension of a file in C?

Yes, you can change the extension of a file in C by using the rename() function. You would simply provide the new extension as part of the new file name in the second argument. For example, if you want to change the extension of "old_name.txt" to "old_name.csv", you would use rename("old_name.txt", "old_name.csv").

3. Does changing a file name in C also change the file contents?

No, changing a file name in C does not change the file contents. It simply changes the name of the file. If you want to change the contents of a file, you will need to use other functions such as fwrite() or fscanf().

4. Can I change the name of a file while it is open in C?

No, you cannot change the name of a file while it is open in C. You will need to close the file first using the fclose() function, rename it using rename(), and then reopen it with the new name.

5. Are there any restrictions on changing file names in C?

Yes, there are some restrictions on changing file names in C. The most common restriction is that you cannot rename a file to a name that already exists. This will result in an error. Additionally, some operating systems may have specific restrictions on file names, such as disallowing certain characters or enforcing a maximum length.