Changing height in tank depending on time

In summary, the formula for finding the change in height $h(t)$ in a mixing tank with 2 inputs and 1 output, where the volume is not constant and the cross section area is constant, can be written as:$$h(t) = \frac 1A \int \left(Q_{in,1} +Q_{in,2} - Q_{out}\right)\, dt$$
havtorn
Hi, I have a mixing tank with 2 inputs and 1 output
The volume in the tank is not constant
The cross section area is constant
How can I build a mathematical formula for changing high h in the tank depending on the time?

I have done this:
(V/dt)in − (V/dt)out =A*d(h)/dt

Physics news on Phys.org
havtorn said:
Hi, I have a mixing tank with 2 inputs and 1 output
The volume in the tank is not constant
The cross section area is constant
How can I build a mathematical formula for changing high h in the tank depending on the time?

I have done this:
(V/dt)in − (V/dt)out =A*d(h)/dt

Hi havtorn, welcome to MHB! (Wave)

Your formula seems fine to me.
Since you have 2 inputs, shouldn't it be:
$$\d {V_{in,1}}t + \d {V_{in,2}}t - \d {V_{out}}t = A\d h t$$
though?

To find $h(t)$, we can integrate and find:
$$h(t) = \frac 1A \int \left(\d {V_{in,1}}t + \d {V_{in,2}}t - \d {V_{out}}t\right)\, dt$$
And if we write $Q$ for the volumetric flow $\d V t$, we can write it as:
$$h(t) = \frac 1A \int \left(Q_{in,1} +Q_{in,2} - Q_{out}\right)\, dt$$

1. How does changing the height in a tank affect the flow of liquid?

Changing the height in a tank can affect the flow of liquid in several ways. If the height is increased, the pressure at the bottom of the tank will also increase, causing the liquid to flow out faster. On the other hand, if the height is decreased, the pressure will decrease and the flow of liquid will slow down.

2. What factors influence the height of liquid in a tank over time?

The height of liquid in a tank over time can be influenced by several factors, including the rate of inflow or outflow, the density of the liquid, the size and shape of the tank, and any external forces acting on the liquid (such as gravity or pressure).

3. Can changing the height in a tank affect the concentration of a solution?

Yes, changing the height in a tank can affect the concentration of a solution. For example, if the height is increased, the concentration of the solution will decrease because the same amount of solute is now spread out over a larger volume of liquid. This can also work in reverse, where decreasing the height will increase the concentration of the solution.

4. How can I calculate the rate of change in height of liquid in a tank?

The rate of change in height of liquid in a tank can be calculated using the formula: dH/dt = (Qin - Qout)/A, where dH/dt is the rate of change in height, Qin is the inflow rate, Qout is the outflow rate, and A is the cross-sectional area of the tank.

5. What are some practical applications of changing the height in a tank depending on time?

There are many practical applications of changing the height in a tank depending on time, such as regulating the level of liquid in a reservoir, controlling the flow rate of a liquid in a system, and maintaining consistent concentrations of solutions in industrial processes. Additionally, this concept can also be applied in hydroelectric power generation, where the height of water in a dam is used to control the amount of energy produced.