How can I successfully change my sleeping habits?

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
In summary, getting sufficient exercise, and administering sleep potions, can help you get to sleep earlier. Items you might find useful to have in your sleep potion include: melatonin, GABA, Kava Kava, Passiflora, and Valerian Root. You can buy these items in the health section of your local natural food store, or online at BAC or iHerb. Alternately, you can try staying up for 36+ hours and going to sleep at the time that you want to regularly go to sleep. Finally, you can change incrementally, going to sleep 1/2-hr each night for about 1 week, and of course wake up earlier.
mattmns
What is the best way to go about changing sleeping habits? I want to go to bed about 2-3hrs earlier every night. However, I also need to sleep at least 8hrs every night, while changing. Anyone have any ideas? :zzz:

Physics news on Phys.org
find yourself a beautiful girlfriend...you won't need to sleep no more...trust me on that

marlon

Sleep potions

Getting sufficient exercise, and administering sleep potions, can help you get to sleep earlier. Items you might find useful to have in your sleep potion include: melatonin, GABA, Kava Kava, Passiflora, and Valerian Root. You can buy these items in the health section of your local natural food store, or online at BAC or iHerb:
http://easycart.net/BeyondACenturyInc./
http://www.iherb.com/store.html

BAC mainly sells generic supplement powders and iHerb sells name-brand supplement pills. You may find the name-brand pills easier to deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:
mattmns said:
What is the best way to go about changing sleeping habits? I want to go to bed about 2-3hrs earlier every night. However, I also need to sleep at least 8hrs every night, while changing. Anyone have any ideas?
And miss all the action on PF? :biggrin:

In addition to what hitssquad mentioned, I have heard (don't remember where) that one way to reset one's internal clock is to stay up 36+ hours, and go to sleep at the time that you want to regularly go to sleep.

Or you can change incrementally, going to sleep 1/2-hr each night for about 1 week, and of course wake up earlier. Avoid stimulants like coffee and exercise before sleeping. Also, eat dinner about 4 hours before you wish to go to sleep. Exercise during the day (as hitssquad alluded to) is also beneficial.

I have a colleague who goes to sleep about 10 pm and wakes around 5 am, but if you need 8 then it's 10 pm- 6 am, or 9 pm - 5 am.

Just get up early and be active during the day.

I found when getting ready for a trip, where the time difference was going to be greater then 4 hours, that going to sleep 30 minutes early every other night did the trick.
Drinking tea herb blends may help, but in my case they made half to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and I couldn't fall back asleep.

I have found an effective way of getting myself to sleep. My problem is that I tend to lie awake and think Think THINK for an hour or more. I can get quite active mentally.

So, what I do is concentrate on turning off the voices (my own voices, not the kind that tell you to do things). It's hard at first, but it gets easier. I try to achieve a state where I have no dialogue happening in my head. If I get distracted, and find myself tallking in my head, I immediately silence it. It helps to concentrate on something purely visual, such as the pretty patterns of light sparkles on the insides of my eyelids.

I try to see how long I can stay in that state. It is not very long before I am asleep.

DaveC426913 said:
I have found an effective way of getting myself to sleep. My problem is that I tend to lie awake and think Think THINK for an hour or more. I can get quite active mentally.

So, what I do is concentrate on turning off the voices (my own voices, not the kind that tell you to do things). It's hard at first, but it gets easier. I try to achieve a state where I have no dialogue happening in my head. If I get distracted, and find myself tallking in my head, I immediately silence it. It helps to concentrate on something purely visual, such as the pretty patterns of light sparkles on the insides of my eyelids.

I try to see how long I can stay in that state. It is not very long before I am asleep.
This is my situation - often wide awake sometime between midnight and 4am. I sleep best between 4am-8am, but then I have to get up to let the dog out at 0600, and the cats start harrassing me at 0630.

I have always enjoyed the pretty patterns of light sparkles on the insides of my eyelids. Helps to apply a little pressure from the fingers. :biggrin:

I gave up on the idea. As I've mentioned to the person whose lab I work in...what good is it to research circadian rhythms when I can't even apply any of the knowledge to wake myself up earlier in the morning?

Oh, wait, I've been told there's one sure-fire method for waking up earlier in the morning, but it's not compatible with getting 8 hours of sleep at night...have a baby; they are an alarm clock you just can't ignore. :-p

7 out of 14 days I work a 6pm-6-am graveyard shift. I try very hard to maintain a sleep schedule which has a consistent core 4 hrs sleep (~7am - 11am)

On weekends I tend to go to bed early ~2am and strive for 8+hrs sleep (~10am) then as the weekend progress I stay up later till the night before I have to go back to work I shoot for (4am-noon).

When I take vacation I tend to get day shifted, but again as I get closer to going back to work I start stay up and sleeping late. For me the key to making the shift is a good long nights sleep, I can then easily do a 18-20 hr wake time to shift my schedule. I do this on my last non work day so as to remain as sharp as possible through out my upcoming 12hr shift.

3 years of engineering at uni has taught me two things:

- When you want to sleep, get drunk.
- When you need to be awake, make a superbrew (coffee, red bull&coke, tea etc)

I'm going into detox this summer, I promise...

3 years of engineering at uni has taught me two things:

- When you want to sleep, get drunk.
- When you need to be awake, make a superbrew (coffee, red bull&coke, tea etc)

Works the other way around with me - too much caffeine puts me to sleep. Is that normal?

rachmaninoff said:
Works the other way around with me - too much caffeine puts me to sleep. Is that normal?

I don't think so. I can't sleep if I have had a cup of tea later than 4pm, unless I've had a few pints afterwards. I'm sure it's not too healthy relying on alcohol and caffeine for sleep control, but hey.

I don't know exactly why, but all the smart people(atleast the ones I consider smart) slept for only four hours a day. I remember even Edison and Einstein (i didn't count these two in the four hours a day category) spent most of the night researching and slept very little.

Thanks for all of your responses! I will try some of these things and see what works.

FAQ: How can I successfully change my sleeping habits?

What are the benefits of changing sleeping habits?

Changing sleeping habits can have numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. Some potential benefits include improved mood, increased energy levels, better concentration and productivity, and a reduced risk of chronic health conditions such as heart disease and obesity.

How long does it take to change sleeping habits?

The time it takes to change sleeping habits can vary for each individual. It depends on factors such as the severity of the previous sleep habits, the willingness to make changes, and the consistency in implementing new habits. On average, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to establish new sleeping habits.

What are some tips for changing sleeping habits?

Some tips for changing sleeping habits include maintaining a consistent sleep schedule, avoiding caffeine and electronics close to bedtime, creating a relaxing bedtime routine, and creating a comfortable sleep environment. It's also important to be patient and persistent in making changes.

Can changing sleeping habits improve overall health?

Yes, changing sleeping habits can have a positive impact on overall health. Adequate and quality sleep is essential for proper functioning of the body and mind. By improving sleep habits, individuals may experience improvements in physical, mental, and emotional health.

Are there any potential risks or side effects of changing sleeping habits?

In general, changing sleeping habits is beneficial and does not have any significant risks or side effects. However, some individuals may experience temporary disruptions in sleep patterns or difficulty adjusting to new habits. It's important to consult with a healthcare professional if any concerns arise.

Back