1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing the frame of reference

1. Dec 24, 2015 #1
    I'm currently doing a student project at uni and I'm trying to design magnetorquers for cubesats.Before I make the prototype I need a simulation of what will happen.The problem is that for my calculations,I need to change the frame of reference of the geomagnetic field.So basically I need to go from earth's frame of reference to the cubesat's frame of reference.I've been researching a lot and I haven't found much.Any suggestions that you might think will help?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's not clear what you're trying to achieve, eg whether this is about a velocity boost, a rotation, a change of coordinate type (eg spherical vs Cartesian), or some combination of the above.

What sort of coordinates are you using in the two frames?

Do the two origins have a nonzero relative velocity?

Are the axes of the two frames aligned?

4. Dec 26, 2015 #3
    Well I have the data for the geomagnetic field but it is in earth's frame if reference.My magnetorquers are in body frame of reference so if I want to calculate the torque, I need to work in the same frame. Both of them are normal Cartesian coordinates. The are not aligned and the body frame is rotating in a given orbit. Sorry if the details are vague, but I'm so confused myself that I don't know what I should look for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook