Changing the Variable of Integration

In summary, the problem involves finding the velocity and time of a particle given its acceleration as a function of x. It can be solved using a differential equation, but can also be approached by considering the relationship between acceleration, velocity, and displacement. The constant of integration can be determined using the conditions given in the problem.
AxeluteZero

Homework Statement

Suppose the acceleration of a particle is a function of x, where ax(x) = (2.0 s-2)x.

(a) If the velocity is zero when x = 1.0 m, what is the speed when x = 2.7 m?

(b) How long does it take the particle to travel from x = 1.0 m to x = 2.7 m?

Homework Equations

a = integral v dt = integral (integral (x)) dt

The Attempt at a Solution

This CAN be solved as a differential equation, but we haven't done those in my Calc course yet, so I have no idea how to solve it that way.

On the other hand, I know the problem is that acceleration is a function of x, hence a(x), and that it needs to be a function of time in order to change it over to velocity and then displacement (if needed). So, I tried figuring that out and go to this point:

a = [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex] = ([tex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex] * [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex])

[tex]\int\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\int2x[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

v = x2 + c

Do I have this set up correctly? And, if so, wouldn't the integral (and thus the velocity function) end up being x2 + some constant? And would that constant be related to part b, or inherited from the given info?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you have that

a= (dv/dx)(dx/dt) and dx/dt is v.

So really you have that

v(dv/dx)=2x

or v dv = 2x dx

so integrate it now.

Then yes, you must use the conditions given in part a to get the constant of integration.

1. What is the purpose of changing the variable of integration?

Changing the variable of integration allows for a more efficient and accurate way to solve integrals. By choosing a different variable, the integral may become simpler and easier to solve.

2. How do I know when to change the variable of integration?

If you encounter a difficult or complex integral, it may be a good idea to try changing the variable of integration to see if it simplifies the problem. Additionally, if you notice a pattern in the integrand, a change of variables may be helpful.

3. What are the steps for changing the variable of integration?

The steps for changing the variable of integration are as follows:

1. Identify the variable to be changed.
  2. Choose a new variable to replace it with.
  3. Substitute the new variable into the integral and adjust the limits of integration accordingly.
  4. Solve the integral using the new variable.
  5. Remember to convert back to the original variable if necessary.

4. Can changing the variable of integration affect the final result of an integral?

No, changing the variable of integration does not affect the final result of an integral. The value of the integral remains the same regardless of the variable used, as long as the limits of integration are adjusted accordingly.

5. Are there any restrictions or limitations when changing the variable of integration?

Yes, there are some restrictions and limitations when changing the variable of integration. The new variable must be a valid variable for integration, such as x or t. Additionally, the limits of integration must also be adjusted to match the new variable. Lastly, the new variable should not create any division by zero or undefined expressions in the integrand.