1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Changing the Variable of Integration

1. Feb 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose the acceleration of a particle is a function of x, where ax(x) = (2.0 s-2)x.

(a) If the velocity is zero when x = 1.0 m, what is the speed when x = 2.7 m?

(b) How long does it take the particle to travel from x = 1.0 m to x = 2.7 m?

2. Relevant equations

a = integral v dt = integral (integral (x)) dt

3. The attempt at a solution

This CAN be solved as a differential equation, but we haven't done those in my Calc course yet, so I have no idea how to solve it that way.

On the other hand, I know the problem is that acceleration is a function of x, hence a(x), and that it needs to be a function of time in order to change it over to velocity and then displacement (if needed). So, I tried figuring that out and go to this point:

a = [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex] = ([tex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex] * [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex])

[tex]\int\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex] = [tex]\int2x[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

v = x2 + c

Do I have this set up correctly? And, if so, wouldn't the integral (and thus the velocity function) end up being x2 + some constant? And would that constant be related to part b, or inherited from the given info?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well you have that

a= (dv/dx)(dx/dt) and dx/dt is v.

So really you have that

v(dv/dx)=2x

or v dv = 2x dx

so integrate it now.

Then yes, you must use the conditions given in part a to get the constant of integration.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook