Characterize a co2 TEA class 4 laser

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a class 4 pulsed laser in an undergraduate physics lab experiment. The laser has parameters of 1-2J pulse energy, 2cm square beam size, pulse duration of 100ns with a tail out to 1ms, and a wavelength of 10-11 microns. A lens with a focal length of 20cm will be used to focus the beam. The equations to be used include the Gaussian lens formula, fluence, irradiance, and wavelength. To measure the power of the beam, a thermopile detector will be used along with a razor edge to calculate the beam area and profile. A spectrometer will be used to measure the wavelength and a fast
krhisjun

Homework Statement

Im working on a lab experiment in my undergraduate physics degree requiring the use of a class 4 laser, i need to characterize this in terms of its power, coherence, pulse duration, wavelength and irradiance. This is a pulsed laser with rough parameters of 1-2J pulse energy, beam size at output - 2cm square, pulse duration ~ 100ns full width half maximum followed by a tail out to 1 ms, wavelngth 10-11 microns

I will be using a lens to focus the beam that has a focal length of approximatly 20cm

Homework Equations

I could write an extensive list but ofcourse:
Gaussian lens formula, 1/f = 1/u + 1/v
Wo = df/ pi Wl
fluence - energy / area
irradiance = power/ area
Wo^2 = wavelength r / 2 pi

The Attempt at a Solution

Im thinking of using a thermopile detector to measure the power of the beam and then perhaps a razor edge passing infront of the beam while still measuring the intensity so that i can calculate the area + profile of the beam? i would measure the total power in the beam when fully exposed then translate the knife edge across the beam and measure the distance between the points at which the power output is 10% and 90%, this will give 1.28 x 1/e^2 = diameter of the beam?

To measure the wavelength I am assuming I am going to use a spectrometer, using a flourescent strip illuminated with a UV light, then the heat from the laser kills the fluorescence after being split up into wavelength components via a diffraction grating..

The pulse duration I've been given a value for but how would i go about measuring this? some sort of fast detector?

To summarize I am looking for help with these methods, more information on them or alternative ideas, I am performing this later in the week and have been asked to do some preliminary calculations but I am not sure what I am supposed to be doing?

Cheers,
Khris

Physics news on Phys.org
No1 want to add anything?

1. What is a co2 TEA class 4 laser?

A co2 TEA class 4 laser is a type of laser that uses carbon dioxide (CO2) gas as the active medium to produce a high-powered laser beam. The TEA stands for Transversely Excited Atmospheric and refers to the way the gas is excited to produce the laser beam. Class 4 refers to the highest level of laser classification, indicating that it can cause severe eye and skin injuries without proper safety precautions.

2. How does a co2 TEA class 4 laser work?

A co2 TEA class 4 laser works by using electrical discharge to excite the CO2 gas in a sealed chamber. This causes the gas molecules to emit light at a specific wavelength, which is amplified by mirrors and then emitted as a high-powered laser beam.

3. What are the applications of a co2 TEA class 4 laser?

Co2 TEA class 4 lasers have a wide range of applications, including industrial cutting and welding, medical procedures, scientific research, and military and defense technologies. They are also used in laser printers and scanners.

4. How is the power of a co2 TEA class 4 laser measured?

The power of a co2 TEA class 4 laser is measured in watts (W). The power output can range from a few watts to several kilowatts, depending on the specific application and laser system.

5. What are the safety considerations when using a co2 TEA class 4 laser?

Due to the high power and intensity of the laser beam, safety precautions must be taken when using a co2 TEA class 4 laser. This includes wearing appropriate protective eyewear, following proper operating procedures, and ensuring that the laser is used in a controlled and monitored environment to prevent accidental exposure. It is also important to regularly maintain and calibrate the laser to ensure safe and accurate operation.